Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Happy For Next Season?

Discussion in 'Nuttin but Net' started by tampajack1, Apr 16, 2022.

1. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    One pre-season ranking for next season has Arkansas and Kentucky at # 1 and 2 in the country, respectively. Alabama, Tennessee and Auburn are likely to also be highly ranked. I would be happy if the Gators break into the top 5 in the SEC and get a single digit seeding in the NCAA tournament. Thoughts?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Getting Castleton & Reeves back was big. If neither returned, we'd most likely be in wait 'til next year mode. Now, we really really really need an SEC-ready PG. Get that and we're in pretty good shape. Add a PF and we're good-to-go. I can't cite an expectation at the moment, due to the ? at PG. I will say that we should be a tourney team. The roster so far is a pleasant surprise.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. BEH

BEH GC Hall of Fame

How in heck do they rank them when they don't even know who will be on the teams?

This is way, way too early to even guess on which teams are going to be good.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  4. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    They clearly are assuming that Tschiebe comes back for Kentucky. As for Arkansas, as of right now, they have the 2nd best recruiting class in the country and the best transfer portal class, plus they might have some good returning players. Nevertheless, there is usually a “too early” qualifier on these predictions.

• Like Like x 1
  5. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Tschiebe has no reason to come back. Top 3 pick in NBA draft, eliminates the chance of getting hurt, and 1 year closer to second NBA contract where he can make the big money. If your ready, makes absolutely no sense to stay on college with the way the NBA collective bargaining agreement is set up.

• Like Like x 1
  6. bike1014

bike1014 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2010
    Too early to really say, but not too early to discuss...lol. Glad some enthusiasm is back regarding bball!

I think the biggest key will be the off season improvement of the players, and of course the unknown effectiveness of a new system. Either way, glad there is some excitement again.

• Like Like x 2
  7. wdcurtis4

wdcurtis4 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    He might be back. Tschiebe likely won't go until somewhere between 25-40. One mock draft I looked at had 25 out of 30 first round picks as Underclassmen. Seems a little hard to justify.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    WD- perhaps you’re right, but he won all the end of year awards. Won both National College Player and SEC Player of the year.

Attached Files:

• Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  9. smikemac

smikemac VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Top 3? Tshiebwe is not even a projected first-rounder. Can almost certainly make more money by coming and getting NIL cash vs second-round contract

• Agree Agree x 6
  10. rserina

rserina GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Ringwood, NJ
    Making the tournament should be the annual goal and expectation at Florida. Lots more to go before we know what the actual team looks like, but if we can find a serviceable one guard between now and the fall, then I see no reason we fail to make the field—and likely qualify for better than a 8 seed, which is essentially a top 25 group. I would be more than happy with that in season one, though we desperately need to make some headway with the 2023 class this summer to set us up for subsequent seasons, especially at the one and the five. Wings look set for now.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    Denzel Aberdeen might turn out to be a good point guard as might Kennedy in future years. I also am not writing off Lane. That being said, we could use a portal point guard.

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. BEH

BEH GC Hall of Fame

The NBA loves big that can shoot out on the floor. Tshiebwe has not proven that yet and I think that that is what keeps him out of the top of the first round.

13. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    What do you think about Terry Roberts? We’re in his top 10, apparently. He seems pretty solid.

14. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    I honestly don't have a clue. He is highly rated in the portal, but he ended the season with 3 pretty lousy games in a row. I am somewhat intrigued by the combo of Aberdeen and Kugel. I might try to find a Dr. Phillips game to watch. If we take Kugel, I can't see us taking another guard.

15. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    Yeah Kugel is nice. Very athletic. For some reason I was thinking he was already off the board. Glad that he’s still a possibility.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. russ21

russ21 Premium Member

Dec 25, 2013
    Those two plus Udoh (Kansas signee) were a really fun trio to watch for Dr Phillips, Kugel actually being my favorite of the three. That being said, I think even if we get Kugel we’d still be looking for a pure point guard with experience in the portal for our last spot

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    I think that Kugel would give us 6 guards not counting Reeves - Jones, Lane, Aberdeen, Kennedy, Richard, Kugel. My guess is that one of them would have to leave in order for Golden to take another guard. We need a 5 considering the uncertainty surrounding Jitoboh.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. jareduf

jareduf GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Bala Cynwyd, PA
    I totally agree. Think Kugel is highly under-rated. Really surprised he isn't ranked higher. Watched some of their games on YouTube and Kugel jumps out immediately. He's unbelievable athletic and another tall guard at 6'6. Also, shot 40% from 3 this past year. I really hope he pulls the trigger.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. jareduf

jareduf GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Bala Cynwyd, PA
    My guess is Kennedy would transfer and I'd take that trade in a second. Think Kugel is really good. Imo, the best player from Dr. Pepper.

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. rserina

rserina GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Ringwood, NJ
    With the loss of Reed, I really hope we can find one more big for depth and development. I just don’t see Broome coming to play alongside Castleton.