Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Hank Aaron goes to the old ballpark in the sky

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by g8orbill, Jan 22, 2021.

1. iowagator

iowagator VIP Member

If if were--that would be one heck of a lineup from just the last year!!

• Like Like x 1
  2. oneatatime

oneatatime GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    The Field of Dreams!!!

3. thatguy

thatguy Moderator VIP Member

Oct 2, 2020
    Tallahassee, FL
    I saw Henry Aaron play in Atlanta in the early 70's. He was in the outfield about 50 feet from me. I kept yelling "Henry!" After about 10 times he looked over at me and tipped his cap. I'll never forget it.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    We always sat in the L field bleachers not to far from Chief Nokahoma's tee-pee in case he launched one into the seats. It was never crowded in those days. Got to chase a few of his HR balls, but never got one :(

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. recongator

recongator GC Legend

Nov 26, 2017
    Mr Aaron was a class act and a huge role model for kids of my generation. I never heard anything negative about him and he always carried himself with dignity. God bless you Mr Aaron, you will be missed

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. reptilenation

reptilenation Junior

Oct 12, 2013
    Pace, Fl
    I saw him at an exhibition game in Savannah too. I believe his brother was there too. We were living at the Base in Beaufort so had to be early 70s.

7. wargunfan

wargunfan GC Hall of Fame

Jan 6, 2010
    Inside your head.
    I first saw Aaron on black and white TV when he played for the Milwaukee Braves at County Stadium. Hank Aaron was a tremendous representative for the sport in every way.Those were better days to be an American and a baseball fan. RIP Hank.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Gatorologist

Gatorologist GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I was 7 and 3/4 years old when he became the current HR king. Back when I enjoyed BB. RIP and to hell with the rest!

9. mkfgator

mkfgator GC Legend

Aug 28, 2019
    Hank Aaron was one of my first great baseball heroes, along with Bob Gibson, Sandy Koufax, Willie Mays and Mantle. But Hank was especially special bc we were all Braves fans back then, plus Hank played in my home town and his grandmom lived here in Jax too. My dad worked in a grocery store he and my grandfather bought that was a block away from Hank's grandmother. My dad used to tell me she actually baby sat me when I was a baby when my mom had to help my dad in the store. May he rest in peace. Great player and person. Baseball needs more Hank Aarons.

10. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Hank grew up in Mobile...I never knew that he had family in Jax. My Great-Uncle, who had a corner store in Toulminville, said he used to come in his store when he was a kid.

• Like Like x 1
  11. mkfgator

mkfgator GC Legend

Aug 28, 2019
    For all I know , my dad could have been BS ing me about the baby sitting part, but people in that area still talk about his grandmother being there. Hank played for the old Jacksonville Tars. I honestly don't know if it was a farm team or a Negro league team. There is a nice stadium and they built housing for the players, called Durkeeville. The field is or at least used to be the home filed for Stanton Prep High School. They have a very small museum for the Negro League players there. I remember the Monday night when Hank hit the home run to break Babe's record. The wild thing is Hank Aaron was not a big guy. Maybe weighed 180 or 175 pounds.

12. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    That’s one of the first memories I have as a child. We’d sit behind home plate and there’d be dozens of people packed in the stadium , man we were bad.

13. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    By all accounts he was an absolutely beautiful man