Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Hank Aaron Braves Game

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by incoldblood, Jun 12, 2018.

1. incoldblood

incoldblood GC Legend

Nov 30, 2016
    Just saw Hank Aaron in the booth for the Braves - Mets game. What a great player and person. I loved that era of MLB (now not so much). The number of players from Mobile was incredible. I hope there will be a replay of this available somewhere. It was awesome and every fan of baseball should watch it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. ursidman

ursidman GC Hall of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    I was a big Braves fan in Hank's era. He began as a player in the Negro Leagues and became one of the all-time great hitters in MLB. Saw him play in person many times when I was a kid. He came from very humble beginnings and overcame so much to achieve what he did.

Hank Aaron - Wikipedia
    Aaron holds the MLB records for the most career runs batted in (RBI) (2,297), extra base hits (1,477), and total bases (6,856). Aaron is also in the top five for career hits (3,771) and runs (2,174). He is one of only four players to have at least seventeen seasons with 150 or more hits.[4] Aaron is in second place in home runs (755) and at-bats (12,364), and in third place in games played (3,298). At the time of his retirement, Aaron held most of the game's key career power hitting records.

• Like Like x 2
  3. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    liked the Braves back then, Hank, Eddie Matthews, Lou Burdette & Warren Spahn, Billy Bruton, Red Schoendinst, Del Crandall, Joe Adcock, Johnny Logan et al collected all the Braves cards at 6 for.05$

4. domgator

domgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I have a baseball autographed by Hammering Hank in my trophy case. Used to love listening to Braves baseball every night in my room while growing up in Jacksonville. They were horrible but Aaron, Evans and, Johnson were great.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. iowagator

iowagator Premium Member

Recorded that and looking forward to watching! Loved him growing up! Many fun nights at old Fulton County Stadium!!

• Like Like x 1
  6. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

jjh--

Remember the Swell bubble gum packs of cards? Fun times--
    I think I had just about every "rookie"card in the 50's and 60's I'd ever heard of--they all went missing (as did the foot locker they were in) when I went off to Chipola and Mama & Daddy moved out of the house we grew up in to across town to be closer to their business.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Topps Cards were the ones I collected, the cards with the awful gum (that I always chewed) at the little mom & pop store they were a penny apiece and they had the 6 for a nickel paxks, used to copllect bottles along the mile walk to the store and spend every penny on the bottle returns seems litle the quart bottles were a nickel and the regulars were 2 cents.

I managed to keep all but my autographed Mickey Mantle (disappeared while I was away at UF always blamed my mother) and have passed them on to my grandson so he had a good start on his collection. Those were the days, not as good then asthey are now as we look back :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Gatorcola

Gatorcola GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2014
    I was there the day Hank hit his 500th home run. I was too young to remember it, but I was there.

• Like Like x 1
  9. ursidman

ursidman GC Hall of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    When I was a little kid of 10 or 11 I went to an Old Timers Game there and got the autographs of Pee-Wee Rees, Johnny Mize, and Luke Appling and some others in the game's official program. Still have them. For some strange reason - maybe because I played 3rd base in little league - Clete Boyer was my guy. He wasn't even the best 3rd baseman in his family.

• Like Like x 1
  10. ApexNC

ApexNC VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    NC
    My parents took me to a double-header in Atlanta when Hank was playing (I think around 1969). I was also too young to remember it, but I will always be able to say I saw Hank play in person! IMO he's up there with Babe for GOAT status.

I still remember the day he broke the home run record. I was in the yard and my mom came running out of the house yelling "Hank did it!" We did a happy dance.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. iowagator

iowagator Premium Member

What were you doing in the yard?????? I was glued to the tv that night! LOL

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. incoldblood

incoldblood GC Legend

Nov 30, 2016
    Five MLB Hall of Famers all from Mobile, AL (third behind NYC and LA):

Hank Aaron
    Willie McCovey
    Satchel Paige
    Billy Williams
    Ozzie Smith

Other HOFs from Alabama:

Monte Irvin
    Heinie Manush
    Willie Mays
    Joe Sewell
    Mule Suttles
    Don Sutton
    Frank Thomas
    Early Wynn

• Like Like x 1
  13. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Hank is the ladt of the historic greats. Just about everyone after him is tainted by something - Bonds, McGuire, Rodriguez, Clemens, Sosa, Palmeiro, Rose etc. The only golden name in the last 30 years or so that stayed golden is Jeter. So Hank deserves every bit of positive praise he gets, especially given how he handled the Bonds thing.

Having said that, I have never in my life seen the amount of hype espn gave to a dude hanging in the booth for a few innings. It was ridiculous.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. bigsky rooter

bigsky rooter Freshman

Aug 3, 2017
    One of my very first baseball memories (dating myself) was seeing Aaron play in Jacksonville. At that time I could not understand the racial abuse he went through there. (Not trying to start a different topic here). I was always amazed that he never showed a bit of bitterness.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. ApexNC

ApexNC VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    NC
    I was 8 years old and I think she heard it on the radio. Back then we only got 2 TV channels....not sure they broke in for it like they do today.

16. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Not sure I would put Jeter in that class, but im not a Yankees fan. . Also, I've never heard any taint on Griifey.

17. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Junior was one hell of a player.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. ursidman

ursidman GC Hall of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Frank Thomas went to Auburn but he was from Columbus Georgia- went to high school with my brother

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    Not Hall of Famers, but Tommie Agee and Cleon Jones of 1969 Mets fame were also high school teammates in Mobile.

20. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Yeah Griffey is a good name and one of my favorites, but never won a title? Could throw Tony Gwynn in there with Griffey.

As far as Jeter, I’m not a Yankees fan either, but this is the all time hit list:

Pete Rose 4256
    2. Ty Cobb 4189
    3. Hank Aaron 3771
    4. Stan Musial 3630
    5. Tris Speaker 3514
    6. Derek Jeter 3465

Throw in 5 gold gloves, rookie of the year, 14 all star games, 5 titles and 11 years a team captain on the most visible team in the league, maybe in US sports. Hard to argue he is anywhere but at or near the top of the list for the last half century. Dude is just a winner.

• Agree Agree x 1