Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Hammond to juco

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by maxgator, Jul 6, 2019.

1. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    You don’t travel 85 anyway I don’t think

2. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    If there’s a god it should happen

3. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    U
    F is a bit harder as I understand

4. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    It's one thing to come up short, but the idea that it shocked him/dismayed is just being dishonest.
    Why didn't the school pull him out his senior year and not let him play? At some point an adult failed him and just pushed him through.

UF has higher standards to get in but Hammond didn't even meet the minimum NCAA standards.

You have to be doing bad not to pass the basic NCAA clearinghouse rules.
    Play Division I Sports

Get Ready. Get Set. Go!
    Grade 9

• Ask your counselor for a list of your high school’s NCAA core courses to make sure you take the right classes.
    Grade 10

Grade 11

• Check with your counselor to make sure you will graduate on time with the required number of NCAA core courses.
    • Take the ACT or SAT and submit your scores to the NCAA using code 9999.
    • At the end of the year, ask your counselor to upload your official transcript to the NCAA Eligibility Center.
    Grade 12

Division I academic eligibility
    To be eligible to compete in NCAA sports during your first year at a Division I school, you must graduate high school and meet ALL the following requirements:

• Complete 16 core courses:
      • Four years of English
      • Three years of math (Algebra 1 or higher)
      • Two years of natural/physical science (including one year of lab science if your high school offers it)
      • One additional year of English, math or natural/physical science
      • Two years of social science
      • Four additional years of English, math, natural/physical science, social science, foreign language, comparative religion or philosophy
    • Complete 10 core courses, including seven in English, math or natural/physical science, before your seventh semester. Once you begin your seventh semester, you may not repeat or replace any of those 10 courses to improve your core-course GPA.
    • Earn at least a 2.3 GPA in your core courses.
    • Earn an SAT combined score or ACT sum score matching your core-course GPA on the Division I sliding scale, which balances your test score and core-course GPA. If you have a low test score, you need a higher core-course GPA to be eligible. If you have a low core-course GPA, you need a higher test score to be eligible.
    What if I don’t meet the requirements?
    If you have not met all the Division I academic requirements, you may not compete in your first year at college. However, if you qualify as an academic redshirt you may practice during your first term in college and receive an athletics scholarship for the entire year.

To qualify as an academic redshirt, you must graduate high school and meet ALL the following academic requirements:

• Complete 16 core courses:
      • Four years of English
      • Three years of math (Algebra 1 or higher)
      • Two years of natural/physical science (including one year of lab science if your high school offers it)
      • One additional year of English, math or natural/physical science
      • Two years of social science
      • Four additional years of English, math, natural/physical science, social science, foreign language, comparative religion or philosophy
    • Earn at least a 2.0 GPA in your core courses.
    • Earn an SAT combined score or ACT sum score matching your core-course GPA on the Division I sliding scale.

• Informative Informative x 4
  5. propagator

propagator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    A big thank you for compiling this. You're correct players that don't meet this criteria are failed by their high school administration team

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    Follow up:
    I reached out to to a client of mine who runs a business that helps HS seniors qualify for all types of scholarships. Paperwork, essay writing etc.

She told me that an athlete that cannot clear the NCAA Clearinghouse has serious academic issues.
    The system is set up for easy clearance and that the hardest part is filling out the 30 page application.
    Curriculum in HS is set up to meet all the core classes from their freshman year and it is the athlete who doesn't do the work 99% of the time.
    High rated kids are tracked early on so everyone involved knows where the kid stands.

• Informative Informative x 5
  7. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Legend

Dec 12, 2008
    I am presuming that when you say "some" you are not counting Black among that group. He is likely coming here after JUCO, and although he used up a scholarship for 2019, we didn't use all of our scholarships and would have likely used one on a buddy of his if he had required us to. Some recruits are worth having for only a year or two if they are uber talented and go to the right JUCO program.

8. kes

kes All American

May 26, 2007
    DeLand, FL
    The reason most kids do not come back to UF is that the classes they have to take as non qualifiers in the first place are not accredited by the university. A lot of coursework does not transfer, thus they are in the same boat two yrs later.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    A
    nd he was a heck of a recruiter. There may be a couple he is responsible for bringing them in.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I’ve always wondered why UF doesn’t do something about that. Either by tweaking the system for athletes ( which they already do) or placing the kids in the right jc and spelling out exactly what has to be done. If the kid didn’t apply himself the first time around though, you have to wonder if he has what it takes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. kes

kes All American

May 26, 2007
    DeLand, FL
    This is true as well. The student starts juco in some sort of remedial classes for at least one subject while running, lifting, practicing, etc. Prolly can't afford a light class load during the season. This without near the tutoring/support they would have at UF. They would likely have to dedicate the summer to catch up credits while most are home. Tough to stay the course Im sure.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Legend

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    Help me out here , is this post referring to deyavie? If so then u can understand why at least in his case the risk was worth it. The pub on signing day of the 3 top shelf guys from Lakeland sighing was well worth the gamble imo

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Yes, who his circle is had to factor in and just maybe we will see him again if we are lucky. Kids a gator no matter what happens ( at least way more than I am)

14. GATOR_4Life

GATOR_4Life All American

Aug 16, 2010
    Marietta, Ga
    This has been my understanding. I can understand taking a risk per cycle for a guy you really like, particularly since we've had trouble getting top recruits. But to have at least 1/5th of your class be academic risks, seems irresponsible. Either Dan decided to gamble and lost, or he has a really bad recruiting staff.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Gamble would be my guess but also who these kids were connected to( friends and high schools). They may have influenced other kids for this class and future classes. I doubt they were taken over others players that were available that Mullen thought could help. Takeing warm bodies does not help either. Those are the kids that inevitably transfer out this time of year two years later.

16. GATOR_4Life

GATOR_4Life All American

Aug 16, 2010
    Marietta, Ga
    I refuse to believe that we couldn't find contributors. I'm sure Dan liked these guys more than the next best alternative. But if the next best player can't be developed into an SEC caliber player (and thus more than just a warm body), then the implication is we are at the bottom of the SEC.

17. ncg8or

ncg8or All American

May 28, 2007
    I don't believe the staff thought they were gambling on Hammond, Zip, or Marks as far as any issues qualifying. The only two kids that were thought to be borderline academic during the entire recruiting process were Black and Henderson.

Marks just sent out a cryptic tweet about being good to go, so hopefully that means he and Henderson (who tweeted about being ready earlier this week) make it in and we have just the two non-qualifers - Hammond and Black.

18. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Legend

Nov 11, 2014
    And, Wilson? I guess his issue is not academic, though.

19. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I've followed recruiting at UF since the 70's, and there is rarely a year when there are not a small handful of academic concerns (just like this year). But UF does a good job of vetting and projecting, and if the kids follow the gameplan provided to them, they should be ok. IMO this year is no different, other than they took an obvious flyer on Black who was the longest of shots to qualify. But he was worth the risk...kind of a Reggie Nelson type deal. Dynamic athlete and personality and worth "sign and place".
    Is it possible for a perfect storm year where all bubble guys screw up and don't get in? Yes, but typically it ends up working out positively for the overwhelming majority of kids.
    And ironically, when we pass on some really great prospect because of grades, he inevitably gets into another school, and then we get a rash of posts complaining how we screwed up by not taking a shot on signing the guy.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    With Henderson and Marks now apparently in, things are looking up. We all knew Black was a stretch, so it's really only Hammond that blew up on us. I think Wilson can fix that visa issue.

• Agree Agree x 3