Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Hall of Fame Voter Decides Not to Submit Ballot Instead of Voting Against Mariano Rivera (SI)

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by gatorjjh, Dec 24, 2018.

1. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Hall of Fame Voter Decides Not to Submit Ballot Instead of Voting Against Mariano Rivera
    Sports Illustrated
    Bill Ballou of the Telegram & Gazette has decided not to submit a Hall of Fame ballot, which still allows all-time saves leader Mariano Rivera to possibly earn a unanimous election to Cooperstown. The decision to abstain from the vote does not spoil Rivera's chances of unanimity. A blank ballot submitted would ruin his chances.

This will be Mariano Rivera's first year on the ballot. He pitched 19 seasons with the Yankees and finished with 652 saves, 1,173 strikeouts and a career 2.21 ERA. He helped win the World Series in 1996, 1998, 1999, 2000 and 2009.

Ballou announced his decision in a column that was posted on Saturday. He cited Red Sox closer Craig Kimbrel, former Patriots kicker Adam Viniateri and ex-AHL Worcester Sharks goalie Taylor Dakers as athletes who put together great performances at the end of games but may not have been as intrinsically important as what happened at the beginning of the game.

2. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    So he isn't hall worthy because his task was so "limited" in scope?

That task is routine and has been for roughly 30 years. And he is the best ever in the 30ish years closers have been universally employed.

This seems like a refusal to admit the game is different than it was in the mid 80s and before rather than evaluating Mariano on his merits.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    This writer has issues--obviously....

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Someday an awesome set-up man will come up for consideration.

I hope that this writer is no longer voting.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Or maybe at least by then someone will have pointed out to him—“You know, one day you’ll be old enough to shave AND those nutz will drop and then you’ll look at all this stuff entirely different”....:ninja3:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  6. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    ^^^

bogey--

That used to be our standard line to rookie Troopers back in the day--

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Let me be clear—

You read something like the post on Singer hits a HR and see what the game still means to real players and real families—

And then you read about some “sports writer” that never played the game—

WELL, the board would just have to delete everything else I would have to say—and truly, I UNDERSTAND—

But, by George—I meant every word—

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    The sacrifice the family makes these days is enormous. I’m not sure I like the monoculture of sports though. Huge investment. Travel ball in all...

Used to be we treated the various sports seasonally. The Football-hoops-baseball cycle. Back in the day. Still a major investment, but perhaps more local. And it seemed a lot less intense. Actually more fun, less of a grind. Of course always had the Practices after school. Big time investment. Parents driving all over town. etc.

Later, for me, lots of tournaments= gets expensive.

My parents foot the bill for me for golf and dressage for my sisters. Big $$ sports. Actually ended up getting off cheap for me :)

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1