Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Hall of Fame Coach Eddie Sutton dies

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by OklahomaGator, May 24, 2020.

1. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I met him several years ago, talked to him about the 2000 game against us. He said we had a great team and we just wore them out. He was a great coach. Probably one of the best end of game coaches I have seen in person.

My wife and I had season tickets to OSU when he was there. Glad he got into the Hall of Fame before he passed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. incoldblood

incoldblood GC Legend

Nov 30, 2016
  3. BEH

BEH GC Hall of Fame

Eddie was the second biggest drunk ever to coach basketball at Kentucky. That is a fact.

I was in Owensboro, KY when Eddie Sutton signed Rex Chapman to Kentucky, it was early in the day. Eddie was anything but sober. I knew then that UK was in trouble.

He did harm to the University of Kentucky basketball program. He hangs UK out to dry and then a year later he is all fat and happy at another program while UK can't play in the tourney.

He gets no respect from me. The second worst day in Kentucky basketball history was the day they hired Sutton.

4. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    A piece of history I could probably have done without BEH. I was not aware of these things.

Of course if UF was damaged by a coach as per your post I understand.

• Like Like x 1
  5. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I knew that Sutton was a drunk and that he was a cheat and had his son Sean lie to the NCAA.

What I am trying to figure out is what was the worst day in UK basketball history. Point shaving scandal? Losing to Texas Western? Hiring Tubby and then winning an NC? Pitino leaving? Not hiring Billy D? Hiring the wrong Billy (Gillespie)?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  6. BEH

BEH GC Hall of Fame

I will stick with my original post.

It is not a bad day making the NCAA title game. Tubby was a good hire, Pitino was a good hire.

7. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    I think, for many UK fans . . . the most painful day was the loss to Wisc.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. BEH

BEH GC Hall of Fame

Every loss in the final four sticks with you, but it is great to get to the final four.

38-1 is a horrible season. Of course only UK has done it.

9. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    I wasn’t suggesting it was a horrible season. It obviously wasn’t. I was just saying that it had to be a very painful loss considering the team and how close it was to accomplishing the ultimate feat.

• Like Like x 1