Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Haley to announce presidential run

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by rivergator, Feb 1, 2023.

1. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Leftist Activist: Black Lives Matter
    Right: Stop race-baiting, All Lives Matter.
    Leftist Activist: That’s racist and you’re racist.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Also, I have zero problem with drag shows oriented and advertised towards adults. It’s a free country you can do whatever you want. Not my thing, but it doesn’t have to be.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2023
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    Personally I find the concept of kids at drag queen shows kind of creepy but the fact that it is taking in any oxygen at all as a political issue is ridiculous.

• Winner Winner x 3
  4. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    This sentence makes my head hurt.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  5. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Actually, you seem very interested and n drag shows. Not your fault necessarily, the media you consume put it out there as an important topic to attack, and you reliably have it as a major issue now. I just find it all bizarre. But no, no kids are being “protected” by these reactionary laws in places like TN.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  6. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    "Personally I find it creepy, but shut up about it and pretend it's not happening you bigot!"

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    ^^^^ in case anyone wonders where overregulation & massive gov comes from. some folks think BIG GOV can erase all their fears.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    I think it is a political issue because you are accused of being transphobic right now if you don’t support it unconditionally.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  9. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Nah. It’s a political issue because the right wing sees it as a useful wedge issue. They know bigots and Christian fundamentalists will rally to their side to attack anything LGBTQ+, even defending ridiculous laws and riling up armed protestors and Comet Pizza style shooters. They also know left wingers will overwhelmingly tend to defend equality and civil rights for everyone without exceptions, even the “rare” cases.

Stuff like the “bathroom bills” from a few years back was actually pretty transparent. Criminalizing simply using the “wrong” bathroom with no other crime taking place? Come on now. There really isn’t a non bigoted way to view that favorably. Likewise, if you are going to generalize and call all homosexuals perverts or “groomers” who should be ostracized or not have contact with kids, that is pretty much bigotry 101. If you are trying to criminalize parents for taking their own kids to some nonsensical library story hour, then yes it that is bigotry. If you try to outlaw gender affirming care for adults, yes, that is bigotry. There’s actually very little to this that isn’t transparently based in bigotry.

• Agree Agree x 5
  10. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    It's a cultural-political issue for the same reason so many things are cultural political issues today. The left decided to do something controversial to some vulnerable population as a way of capitalizing on the growing sensitivity and cultural liberalization of America. The right notices it, the left denies it's happening, then the right does something about it, and the left says that the right waged a culture war when all they did was notice what the left was doing.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2023
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  11. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    They used to at least think that they lived by

[​IMG]

But, then when they realized other people might want to live that way too, a shift happened. Live & let live would not work for them, so in many contexts they decided to adopt a collectivist way of thinking where things they did not like suddenly had magical contagion effects. Now, my worshipping the devil or smoking weed in my basement or homosexuality or drag shows or what have you endangered their lives. But wait their's more, it endangers the LIVES OF INNOCENT CHILDREN. So, they must take action....for THE CHILDREN. Radical islam is a good template for this movement we see. It was not until I believe the 1930s that an Islamic scholar decided that a muslim's relationship with god was no longer personal, but somehow the sins of their neighbors or even people across the globe threatened their relationship with god. This kind of bullshit does not turn out well.

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. altalias

altalias GC Hall of Fame

Aug 13, 2008
    I don't know, her odds aren't so bad. You guys say Ron won't play well nationally and Don's going to jail. Eliminate those two and Haley's tied with Pence as the front runner. Biden has a stroke or poops his pants in public and she's likely the next POTUS.
    Be afraid the right wing bigots and fundamentalists are so strong they are influencing the youth of the U.K.

Students stage protests against unisex toilets

Students at schools across England have been protesting their institutions' unisex restrooms in recent days, and footage posted on social media shows some of the protests have become unruly.
    Local media outlets in the United Kingdom reported children in Southampton, Essex, Blackpool, Yorkshire and other cities have all participated in the demonstrations over gender-neutral restrooms.

*My daughter is doing her post doc at a University in the UK so I pay attention to the news there . If she weren't I probably wouldn't have noticed this.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  13. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    There has always been a moralistic wing in the Republican Party (and also in Dixiecrats prior to the mid 60s). They gin up their weak willed and scared flock by stoking themes like this.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    It is an interesting point. At the moment she doesn’t line up well with Trump or Desantis, but god knows what Trump gets himself into in 2 years and Desantis is still an unknown and perhaps he decides not to run to avoid the head to head with Trump. However I think Haley is a long shot. It’s a shame because she really is a talented politician and I suspect she’d best just about any Democrat.

15. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    things are loosely defined as of now. let's say political issue = gov involvement or desire for gov inv. Under that def, I hope you don't still stand by your statement. We don't need a law for every time we are called a name. Notwithstanding the safe space freakout we are witnessing in little Chy-na...aka Fla.

16. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    No not from gov.

17. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    This is meaningless word salad. Gibberish.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
  18. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Passing laws makes it a political issue, as imposing laws may impact a persons rights (unjustly).

Sometimes there are conflicts between two different parties’ rights, such as the so called bakers case. That was about one’s religious belief conflicting with public accommodations law.

Other times it’s blatantly one sided. Govt stripping away rights. Like govt outlawing gay marriage or banning gender affirming care. There is no argument that YOUR rights are being violated by the govt recognizing these things. That is, unless you actually think big guv is there to enforce your worldview upon others.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017

COVID killed millions of people. But "wokeness" is more dangerous. These people are self parody.

• Agree Agree x 4
  20. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    1. I don't care how people feel about drag shows. I've never been to one and don't have a burning desire to go. The issue is whether the government should be banning them. The clear answer is no. My tastes shouldn't dictate other people's freedoms.

2. You're conflating separate issues. Drag performers aren't necessarily transgender. It's a form of artistic expression/entertainment.

• Agree Agree x 2