Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Hacked

Discussion in 'Gator Bytes' started by gator_ch, Apr 9, 2021.

1. gator_ch

gator_ch VIP Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Chattanooga
    My PayPal account was hacked and used to charge nearly $2,000 for products I didn't order. I've already disputed with PayPal but, as part of the hack, I got signed up for over a thousand mail lists for online retailers, many in other countries. I'm trying to figure out how to unsubscribe from them all. The ones in English are no problem but the others, in multiple different languages, are pretty difficult since I don't speak German or Russian, etc. I'm not sure what I'm asking for here but, is there a way to bulk un-subscribe? I'd find it difficult to change to a new email address as the one that got bombed is my business address.

2. LakeGator

LakeGator Mostly Harmless Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Temple Terrace
    That really stinks! I hope you have changed the password from 12345, now. I apologize for the gallows humor – a little. Seriously, you certainly want to be sure you have changed all your passwords, not just for PayPal.

I did a quick interweb search and found Unroll.me that seems to offer a free service that will do the bulk unsubscribe. It looks legitimate and professional but I have no idea how effective it might be.

I understand that you don’t want to change your work email but I suggest that might be the most prudent thing to do. It is quite likely that scumbag that hacked you has done more than you see, right now. It is quite likely that your email address is being used and shared in other places. Obviously, changing it will be a pain but it may save you more pain down the road.

I wish you good luck!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. HallGator

HallGator Senile Administrator

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    I agree with @LakeGator. Once an account has been hacked it's problematic as to how safe it will ever be in the future.

4. gator_ch

gator_ch VIP Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Chattanooga
    Update... I guess because I caught it so early, I was able to get all of my money back!

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I would never use PayPal for more than $200 at a time... My girlfriend got hacked and fortunately it was small potatoes compared to how bad it could have been.