Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Gymnasts Leaving, Staying, Transferring, & Recruits

Discussion in 'Alligator Alley (other sports)' started by ETGator1, Apr 24, 2022.

1. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Rachel Baumann transferring in.

• Like Like x 7
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007

• Like Like x 3
  3. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    There is a lot to like with Rachel Baumann transferring in to UF. Talent, experience, and ready to perform from day one in multiple rotations. Early on in this thread, post 4/page 1, I was hopeful that Rachel would find her way over to UF asking why not Rachel. It's a bit late, but I'm very happy with this transfer.

Rachel at UGALY:

Rachel Baumann - 2022 - Gymnastics - University of Georgia Athletics (georgiadogs.com)

Rachel can compete at high levels on vault, beam, and floor.

Rachel, welcome aboard. UF is going to reward your decision with SEC and national championship rings in 23.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2022
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. gatornharlem

gatornharlem GC Legend

Dec 16, 2018
    New York City
    The Perfect Ending to the Baumann Sibling Rivalry

Seven weeks after officially announcing her retirement, Rachel Baumann is back. But there’s a catch, Rachel is not returning to her role at the University of Georgia, but rather their biggest rival, the University of Florida. In college football the Georgia-Florida rivalry is iconic and is nicknamed “The World’s Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party.”

In gymnastics circles, the rivalry is unofficially nicknamed the “Battle of the Baumanns” because it features Alyssa Baumann who formerly competed for Florida and her sister Rachel, who used to compete for Georgia. In gymnastics the Florida-Georgia rivalry is a family rivalry, contested between one of the more famous sibling duos the American Olympic program has produced in recent years.

You can read the full article here

• Like Like x 2
  5. gatornharlem

gatornharlem GC Legend

Dec 16, 2018
    New York City
    On Reddit, someone commented on the Baumann transfer:
    I’m surprised that she’s coming now that Alyssa has left. However, I think it points to a positive culture at Florida that Rachel wants to go there after seeing her sister’s experience for 5 years (and also points to the negative environment at Georgia).
    Other comments:
    The Georgia to Florida pipeline is getting to be as strong as the UCLA to Arkansas one.

Florida is really going for that Natty next year!! They almost have enough gymnasts to fill up two lineups on every event next year.

I wonder if Florida set aside scholarships for their potential 5th years but Savannah did not end up taking hers so Rachel was able to come? It is late in the off season for a transfer to be announced I feel like.

So does this mean that Savannah isn’t returning? Are they out of scholarships?

Whoa!!! Of all the off season shocks this one really took my by surprise. I guess Schoenherr is not returning?? I wonder if it was a last minute decision. It seems late to be accepting transfers (or is it not?)
    Link

Last edited: Jul 26, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. gatornharlem

gatornharlem GC Legend

Dec 16, 2018
    New York City
    Another Reddit post:
    Florida news… predictions?
    [​IMG]

Is Savannah not coming back? Rumors she already has a masters degree.

Will Leanne defer enrollment for a Paris run?

What not that Rachel Bauman is here.

Link

7. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Unrelated to this site, actually going back to a story last year, Savannah disclosed she had graduated and was working on her masters in 21/22. That being the case, I'm not surprised that she isn't coming back should that turn out to be the case.

I don't think Leanne will defer for Paris any more than Trinity will defer to Paris.

It's funny how nobody in Elite gymnastics is giving any thought to Trinity making a run at Paris after the 23 season. If she is in good health and wants to, she is a no brainer to try out. I think Trinity is just now hitting the peak of her physical abilities.

The talk of Morgan Hurd medically retiring seems way too premature to me. I think she will be a performer for UF in 23. I also think Ellie Lazzari is going to be back stronger and better too.

I'm more worried about Riley McCusker staying healthy. I'd be happy if she can give UF bars and beam, but I think she is capable of more, just has to stay healthy. She's similar to Alyssa Baumann whom I'm going to miss greatly, my personal favorite over her career with UF, as Riley has that look of beauty, grace, and effortlessness when she is performing well. I wish Riley the best.

In recruiting, I agree that this seems to be the last opportunity for Shilese Jones at collegiate gymnastics with UF if she defers for Paris now. I'd rather see her enroll in August, but I haven't seen anything recently that indicates that she is going to enroll. With Rachel Baumann transferring in, I don't know if UF has a scholarship available for her now.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. BurkeGator

BurkeGator All American

Aug 28, 2015

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. ApexNC

ApexNC GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    NC

• Like Like x 3
  10. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Interview that includes Leanne Wong and Shilese Jones:

USA Gymnastics on Instagram: “Miss our Instagram Live? No worries, you can watch the whole interview with Leanne, Shilese, Fred, and Yul right here!”

1. Leanne Wong is taking one meet at a time and is not committed to Worlds yet, taking one meet at a time. She took classes over the summer so she is keeping up with her school work, says she enjoys classes. She will compete for Paris 24, will be a junior by then. She has talked with Trinity Thomas about doing both college and elite. I could be wrong, but it looks like Leanne has added some muscle to her frame, looks good physically:

2. Shilese Jones is healthy and happy, but she has no plans to attend UF. Her focus is on Worlds and Paris 24. If she were to come to UF, it would be in 24/25 which would put her as a 23-year-old freshman in the 25 season. I don't see that happening so I'm striking her off my list. Stick a fork in Shilese as a collegiate performer, she's done.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 2
  13. gatornharlem

gatornharlem GC Legend

Dec 16, 2018
    New York City
    Shilese Jones is no longer listed for Florida's 2023 or 2024 roster, but for 2025 ***Entry Date Unknown at College Gym News Roster & Commits. Unless she has an injury in the next 12 months that would jeopardize her chances to make the Olympics, I agree with ETGator1 that Shilese won't be a college gymnast.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2022
  14. gatornharlem

gatornharlem GC Legend

Dec 16, 2018
    New York City
    2022 U.S. Classic: Leanne Wong is back like she never left in all-around win

Part-time GAGE and part-time Florida gymnast Leanne Wong finished atop the leaderboard in her return to elite after her freshman season with the Gators.
    In addition to securing the all-around title with a 54.400, Wong also snagged the vault and beam titles.

Wong will decide after U.S. Championships whether she returns to Florida to train in the fall or stays at GAGE through world championships.
    Despite being committed to Florida, (Shilese) Jones is deferring her enrollment until 2024 as she goes all in on her Olympic dream once more.

Full article here

*Next up is the U.S. Championships in Tampa's Amalie Arena. Wong will be joined by another Gator, incoming freshman Kayla DiCello, in the Senior Women competition that opens on Friday, Aug. 19 (7 p.m.) and closes on Sunday, Aug. 21 (7 p.m.). DiCello is coming off winning floor exercise at the Pan American Championships in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil on July 15.

*The World Championships are Oct 29-Nov 6

15. gatornharlem

gatornharlem GC Legend

Dec 16, 2018
    New York City
    According to NCAA WAG Rosters & Commits, the Gators now have 18 gymnasts on the roster and 2 scholarships available. Transfers Nguyen (Jr) and Baumann (Grad school) are listed as not having a scholarship, so I imagine they'll be recipients for those 2 scholarships, thus finalizing Florida's roster for 2023:

Rachel Baumann***
    Leah Clapper*
    Nya Reed*
    Payton Richards
    Savannah Schoenherr*
    Halley Taylor*
    Trinity Thomas*
    Chloi Clark
    Ellie Lazzari
    Alex Magee
    Victoria Nguyen**
    Sloane Blakely
    Brianna Edwards
    Morgan Hurd
    Riley McCusker
    Leanne Wong
    Lori Brubach
    Kayla DiCello

*COVID Year
    **Transfer from UGA
    ***Grad Transfer from UGA

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    This is another national championship caliber roster with the same number on the roster as last season. The difference is it has 3 more healthy gymnasts than UF had for most all of last season when Morgan Hurd (knee) missed all of the season and Ellie Lazzari and Halley Taylor (Achilles heels) missed everything past the first meet.

I like that Nya Reed said she was coming back for unfinished business. You know Leah Clapper, Savannah Schoenherr, and Trinity Thomas feel the same way. Besides the obvious talent this roster possesses, it takes strong team chemistry combined with the will, the toughness, to be the best in the highest-pressure situations to bring home a national championship. I predict this team will bring home the national championship that eluded UF last season, no pressure. There won't be any unfinished business this time around.

I'll be watching every meet and cheering on the ladies.

Go Gators!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Leanne Wong wins US Classic all around:

Gator Leanne Wong Wins US Classic All-Around - Florida Gators

Won 3 Golds also winning Gold on balance beam and vault.

US Classic results:

MyUSAGym

Shilese Jones finished second, but her low score on the balance beam cost her a shot at #1 on the list. College gymnastics is missing out on a top-quality gymnast.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    15 Gators will be in Tampa to sign autographs and support Leanne Wong and Kayla DiCello who are competing in the US Championship:

USA Gymnastics on Twitter: "Come see your favorite Gators at the 2022 OOFOS U.S. Gymnastics Championships in Tampa as they sign autographs at the FlipZone & inside @AmalieArena on Sunday, August 21! More Info >> https://t.co/jW4Xz4aCeP @GatorsGym | @SportsTampaBay https://t.co/WH0xD57U5T" / Twitter

Every Gator except one will be in Tampa. Riley McCusker is not in the photo or listed as attending. I hope there isn't a problem with Riley, maybe a prior commitment. If anyone has heard anything on Riley, please let us know. Thanks.

19. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    Savannah is coming back!

20. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    Good Article. on DiCelllo heading to UF after #OOFOSChamps.