Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

(GYM) Gymnastics Hype Night

Discussion in 'Alligator Alley (other sports)' started by scrappygator, Dec 5, 2022.

1. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    Tonight was the first-ever Gymnastics Hype Night. It was a fabulous time with the ladies working on their routines. Of course, they were not NCAA match ready, but some great routines were performed.
    I, fortuitously, sat by Halley Taylor's parents and brothers. And behind Alex Magee's mother and siblings.
    What a group of friendly people. They were all so welcoming and told us tidbits we would have never known.
    Halley and Ellie Lazzari are both coming off torn Achilles' heels. Halley's mom said they worked together and pushed each other during their recovery.
    Both of them performed on the beam tonight with good results.
    I learned something tonight about torn Achilles. It happens on the pop when the gymnast jumps to make a pass. They know it happened and then have to land on it. That is brutal.
    As far as a tidbit. Do any of you remember when the music would never start for Skaggs floor exercise at LSU? Jeremy James Miranda had to go to the music people and find out that they were holding their fingers on it so it would not play. He finally had to tell them to lift their finger and let it play. She said LSU gymnastics fans were the worst by far.
    They had several contests for fans tonight, but the most interesting was front pull-ups on the high bar. A male contestant did 13. Alex Magee did 15 to smoke him. That is impressive strength.
    Halley's brother plays in the Pep Band and was at volleyball this weekend. He wore this cool shirt during gymnastics meets and was on the Jumbotron tonight. He is going to the Las Vegas Bowl with the band. He is also in the basketball band and plays with both men and women.
    Trinity and Halley have been roommates since their sophomore year. Mrs. Taylor said you would never find a more generous, honest, and giving person than Trinity.
    She and Alex came into the stands after the match and high-fived me.
    This was a great night.

• Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. emewill

emewill Freshman

Aug 8, 2022
    Any exciting performances by new faces, like Kayla, Lori, Morgan or the two Georgia transfers? Amazing depth this year.

3. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    All of the above did very well. Morgan and Kayla are going to be exceptional. You add them to Leanne and Trinity. It is amazing. Of course, we can't discount the other 13 ladies who are very good, too. The only gymnast not dressed out was Chloe. I don't know the reason.

• Like Like x 1
  4. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Enjoyed the performances, decent crowd but nothing like our Meet attendance, lots of little girls getting a chance to see our team perform well, much better than attempts in the last few year held in Alligator Alley, went to 2 of them and had to watch from the halllway, very poor effort all around so I hope this event will become the norm, but if I understood the messaging the Orange and Blue competitive team meet 'scrimmage' will be in themuch smaller venue

5. emewill

emewill Freshman

Aug 8, 2022
    Thanks for the update. Your ongoing information means a lot to me and my wife.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  6. sandman70

sandman70 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Went to Gymnastics Hype Night and watched the volleyball selection show on ESPN with the team in the fantastic Heavener Center. Both events were funtastic and so fan friendly. Got to meet and interact with gals from each of the squads. Meanwhile, softball has its annual three game fall ball Orange & Blue series and the fans are locked out of KSP for the first time ever. A rare faux pas by Tim Walton who metaphorically took three strikes looking on this head scratching decision. As the student section says, Shame, shame, shame!

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1