Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Guys, we really need to tone it down a bit here

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by rivergator, Jul 9, 2019.

1. danmann65

danmann65 GC Hall of Fame

May 22, 2015
    I think it may just be the doldrums of summer. A poster here who may be a moderator but is a harmless idiot was not liking my reasonable and well thought out comments earlier and I was actually considering blasting him to get a free vacation from the sight.

• Funny Funny x 3
  2. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    I know you are not directing that question to me - but if you don't mind, here's my take.

Just because someone else does something - it doesn't mean you should.

Take the high road - or the road not taken - just don't take the same road everyone else takes. It will drag you down.

The opportunity we have to express ourselves here is priceless. Let's do what no one else does. Bend over backwards to be civil to each other - and our institutions - regardless of what others are doing.

Just my 2 cents.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. kygator

kygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    So you’re saying we should go to the other boards and stir up some trouble? Probably wouldn’t take much to get some people banned over there. We’ll make you proud.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    LOL that name was applied by Mrs. GK, however, I have better names in mind for big man. :devil:

He does give me a run for my money in the stink department, so I have to give him credit for that.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. demosthenes

demosthenes Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Probably a lot of crossover between the two. ;)

6. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    While you are there, say hi from me. I suggested that Dan Mullen might be a halfway decent recruiter a few weeks ago and now I am not welcome in that place.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  7. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    The Insider Recruiting Board scares me!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    So what you are saying is if you get base pleasure by participating on this forum you need to stop being so pleasured?

Time to upgrade my tithing amount.

And my anti-virus software. Damn forum rules...

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. HallGator

HallGator Senile Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    No, just use his name. If he were posting on the board he would have to follow the rules just like everyone else, which means he would probably last a couple of hours, if that. :)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    I think you guys banned him.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  11. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    The reason I referred to Trump as "the Dear Leader" wasn't just to use a demeaning term for the sake of an insult. Trump has acted like an authoritarian even before he took office and as governed like one since. One example that immediately comes to mind is his declaration of a national emergency to build his Southern border wall. Congress explicitly decided not to appropriate the funds Trump requested and he is apparently going to use funds that have been expressly appropriated for other purposes including the construction of facilities on military bases. Then there is the possible defiance of the judiciary on the census citizenship question and his total stonewalling of requests and subpoenas for testimony and documents from Congress. While other presidents including Barack Obama have invoked executive privilege no president has engaged in absolute stonewalling like Trump. Rather than as a coequal branch of the government Trump views Congress as a nuisance which he feels free to ignore. And let's not forget Trump's disdain for the institution of a free press. While other presidents have had a contentious relationship with the media, none has demeaned the free press virtually every day that he has been in office. And then there is Trump's affinity for authoritarian foreign leaders including Putin, Kim, Erdogan, Duterte and Mohammad bin Salman. Although I guess some of his supporters and maybe the mods would disagree, in my humble opinion Donald Trump has earned the nickname of "Dear Leader".
    Edit: I'm going to fall in line but I just thought that I would provide my rationale.:)

Edit 2: Apparently it's not just me. A certain Republican governor also has also used the that term in reference to Trump
    Larry Hogan derides Trump as ‘dear leader’

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  12. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Try “Deer Leader.” It refers to the biggest, baddest mother buck(er) in the herd. Would fool the moderators every time!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  13. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    I have a solution. If everyone on here would just agree with me on all things, there would be no problems.

• Agree x 2
    • Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  14. sovietgator

sovietgator Lighten up Jan Brady (Marsha, Marsha, Marsha!!)

Apr 3, 2007
    Down On Da' Bayou
    Been in your same position a few times here. I was just following the Commander in Chief's lead.... o_O

15. HallGator

HallGator Senile Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    A lot of the rules are there to stop infighting which then results in more rules violations which means we have to take further action. In other words, it is intended to keep things from escalating which they can do in a big hurry or to put it another way it is intended to head em off at the pass.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    If that was reported...example of what should be a red card for flopping. And yes. Everyone knows I voted for your “Dear Leader”. Though not in the primaries. :)

17. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    Trump is as authoritarian as any President ever, maybe worse, but to compare him to Kim is as bad as comparing him to Hitler. It’s just not true.
    If the Congress had any balls, he wouldn’t even pass for an authoritarian President.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    It's not really hard. Just kind of do what you can. A handful of mods take part and there's no science to it. I can tell you that everyone doesn't do it exactly the same. We're just human and the pay kinda sucks ...
    I do think I'm probably the most lenient of the bunch.

But for the record, the great majority of reporting posts is done by the mods. The policy is that we report it before we delete or edit, just so there's a record.

We get some reports from posters, usually the same folks. Sometimes someone goes on a tear after he feels like he's been unfairly edited and starts reporting a bunch of others. But that always passes quickly.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Miami, OK
    We decided to crack down on the insults not only directed at other posters but at public figures as well in an attempt to up the civility of the conversation. You don't need to use insults at figures to make your point, it actually defeats the purpose. @rivergator is right in that everyone (mods) doesn't see things the same way all of the time but we do the best we can.

There is a pretty good group of mods here that do their work for basically a comped membership. In River's case, he might read stuff over on the premium boards but I can't recall many of his posts over there so what does he really gain. Appreciate his contributions to trying to keep things civil.

And, Too Hot is the #1 forum on Gator Country during the summer, so we have that going for us.

• Like Like x 5
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
  20. obgator

obgator Senior

Apr 3, 2007
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1