Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

Grimes and Toney

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by VTGator, Dec 18, 2019.

1. awells05

awells05 Junior

Apr 23, 2009
    Vero Beach, Florida
    I just dont understand why this continues to have to be such a polarizing argument. This is a very simple situation. We have 2 Junior receivers that have not declared, but could and a recruiting class that was very thin at the receiver position. We have not and will not finalize the class until February. It was a miss by our recruiting staff, but will not be a huge deal if the two juniors return. If they do return then this is not such a big deal. However, if they do not then this becomes a must have position out of the portal. Leonard Manuel would be a huge get if he were to qualify, however that seems unlikely. This has been a position of some unluckiness. Arjei Henderson and Leonard Manuel would be receivers who could easily impact our WR Corp if they had been eligible however they are not at this point.

This is very simple and not the end of the world yet. Lets determine if Toney and Grimes are returning before we put the tin foil hats on and start running around like lunatics. If they do not pass me the tinfoil.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  2. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    Now I will say that under McElwain's tenure, our strength and conditioning was pretty clearly a problem. You could see the players tire late in the 3rd quarter in most games, get pushed around, and we even had a player (can't member his name but was an OL or DL) who pretty much pulled out of the team S&C program and was doing private workouts because the S&C program was so bad. That player got drafted.

It may have been the S&C coach was bad or that McElwain was directing what they did, so I can't personally say the S&C coach was the problem. But I do feel I can blame McElwain for either being the problem or not doing anything about the problem. I put the blame of that McElwain, because he hired the coach and didn't do anything about it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    I think Del Rio did his own external workouts, too.

4. freedomgator

freedomgator GC Legend

Mar 26, 2017
    Trick question. Who wouldn't replace any coach on staff "with someone better" if that were a real option?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Fezziwigator

Fezziwigator GC Legend

Apr 9, 2007
    Gee, a great thread about the wonderful news that Grimes and Toney are coming back immediately devolves into more anguished hand wringing about how everything is going to crap.

Who doesn’t love this board?

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. 1329gator

1329gator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    That looks good on paper ....but who takes Grimes spot when he tweaks an ankle ? Who takes Toneys spot when he has concussion protocol before the UT game on the road next year ? Its things like that .....they absolutely will happen when ur thin on depth.

Spring ball this year will be extremely important for the skill position players ....we need 2 WR's minimum to step it up along w/ the RB's.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 3
  7. melrose12

melrose12 All American

Jun 25, 2019
    Not worried at all. Marks, Weston are going to be good. White more might end up as a nice addition. Zipp will also help. To say we missed until we see them this year is jumping the gun.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. nolancarey

nolancarey GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2009
    Our own Wyoming Wildman.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
  9. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Replace Billy G? He and Mullen have been coaching together for 18 years. He's been Mullen's co-offensive coordinator since 2013. Don't forget what he did with our WRs from '05 to '09. You don't replace someone that important for one poor recruiting cycle.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  10. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    You seem to go about reading the board but not comprehending what posters are actually saying. If someone points out the truth- that we have underwhelming back to back WR classes- it doesn’t mean they are disloyal or criticizing specific players. You already know LM is not likely to qualify. For purposes of this board it seems you would be more disappointed with 5 WRs in three cycles than someone suggesting we might not have a highly competitive WR class.
    Here’s the good news, several of our SEC foes have underwhelming WR classes so we will likely be their only offer when they do surface.
    co-offensive coordinator means what really? That he’s been with CDM so long admittedly is very significant- he’s not going anywhere.

11. DieAGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Someone hit the face palm on your post? This board is not friendly to critical thinking.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  12. DieAGator

Apr 3, 2007

13. WhattaGator

WhattaGator "Where's The Beef"?? (Or the crabcakes, etc.)... VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

Although, contrary to your belief...this board IS open to "critcal thinking"...(see a few of the "3rd and Grantham" threads, for example)...it's not that open for trying to insult other posters.

Just sayin'

• Like Like x 1
  14. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    Zip....

15. 1329gator

1329gator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    It's a free country ....people have different ideas....I welcome it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. oneatatime

oneatatime GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Donzo

Donzo GC Legend

May 20, 2008
    Nah, it was more belleyching than critical thinking.

If there was some actual analysis going on then we'd have some thinking.

• Winner Winner x 2
  18. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan GC Legend

Mar 17, 2019
    He needs to improve his blocking. There were lots of time that he whipped on his block that's why some of the runs failed.

19. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan GC Legend

Mar 17, 2019
    I don't care about 5 stars either. To me there's not a lot of difference between 100 - 300 4 star players. I would rather have a class of 23 players with 20 4 stars or higher and 3 3 stars.

20. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan GC Legend

Mar 17, 2019
    It's hilarious, isn't it. I find it funny that people cannot enjoy back to back double digit wins and major bowls. Get all high strung about recruiting instead. It's not like they can influence these kids, unless they're related or one of the bagmen.
    Me, I enjoyed these past two seasons. I'm looking forward to another great year next season.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1