Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Greg Knox

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by cubangator, May 11, 2020.

1. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Hire Ron Zook as a recruiting consultant

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  2. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    Yea im willing to see how this season and cycle play out. Staff changes are NOT about to happen unless a member leaves so might as well accept this is what we'll go into next season with.

What's crazy is that despite how inconsistent the OL was, the two L's we had last year, i didnt come away saying "the OL was why we lost". Weird considering they had bad sequences in those games and couldn't open up the ground game. I feel if all things stay the same and Heggie is even a SLIGHT upgrade at Center and Gouriage can win a tackle spot (preferably LT to slide Stone to RT) and Reese makes it on campus, we're upgraded. As much upside as I feel Braun, Mincey, and Leonard have, I dont want them having to contribute this season out of NECESSITY and only through natural progression. Interested in seekngseeing Tarquin too. He's kind of a forgotten man but with Walker leaving, eyes are going to be on him even more by me

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. lizardbreath

lizardbreath All American

Aug 30, 2017
    Please don't take this wrong, but is there solid evidence, beyond the obvious results being enjoyed by the programs you mentioned, that they are in fact engaged in systematic cheating? I'm not arguing your point, I'm just wondering aloud whether the SEC really is the cesspool of rampant cheating that so many believe it to be. And does that cloud of suspicion extent to the OSUs and Klempsons of the world too? I remember all too well the size of the hammer dropped on UF by the NCAA in the wake of the Pell scandal and still have a primordial fear of ever being back in that position ever again. Opinions are of course welcome from all quarters - even hairy dawg.

4. Nostradamus

Nostradamus GC Legend

Sep 18, 2015
    Forgot about those guys. All recruiting upgrades, no?

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    Warren and Gray are the same to me as is Salseri but since Salseri is under Saban, an all timer of a recruiter, he's probably looked at as a better recruiter than he actually is. Not sure if he was responsible for Summerall, Chatfield but yea. Scott handled Dexter but Brewster is expected to be better once things return to normal.

There was an area recruiting territory map of which staff member had what area but i can't find it for the life of me. Maybe @candymanfromgc can find it

6. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    IMO Torrian is a significant upgrade to Warren, especially given his instate history.
    One would have thought Sunseri would be a great recruiter for UF given his resume, but for whatever reason he was not very productive during his time in Gainesville...it just didn't work. Some speculate he was just going thru the motions. And most, myself included, were doubtful on Turner recruiting...and he has turned out to be exceptionally productive.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. cubangator

cubangator Senior

Jul 8, 2017
    Perine was very good under fraudMac. Gators special team return game under Knox has been a bad one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. LAGatorDoc

LAGatorDoc GC Hall of Fame

Jul 29, 2012
    It’s not dirty anymore. Players can start getting paid

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    Yea he was just buying time. Saban wanted him in 2018 but since he had just accepted our offer, he didn't want to back out immediately so i agree, he just went through the motions then bolted.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    Right, Perine picked it up in 2017 starting with the LSU game

11. LLCoolJ94

LLCoolJ94 GC Hall of Fame

Perine looked great before Knox ever set foot on campus. So, I'm not sure we want to use him as a data point. Better maybe to examine how well Pierce and Davis develop. Pierce has only been with Knox and Davis will have spent most of his time with Knox. Of the two, Pierce is the better data point clearly.

12. LLCoolJ94

You are right that staff continuity tends to be a great thing. You want to hold onto good staff members, not only for their individual contributions, but also for the chemistry within the group.

But I'm not so sure it's a good thing when two of them are clearly not pulling their weights. I don't think most reasonable people would think so either. This is not a binary scenario: Either constant/continual staff turnover or none at all.

13. LLCoolJ94

I mean, you're not entirely wrong. In both of the losses, I wished we could get the defense off of the field.

On the other hand, I also wanted to keep them off of the field. Don't you think being able to run the ball, control the tempo and wear down a defense would have helped us win those games?

Not only did I come away from those games thinking about a lack of depth, an inability to get the defense off of the field, make crucial stops, but also wishing we could take it to other teams with the physicality of the run game. Knowing that our run game was basically a facade did not help our offense. I didn't think we were better than either of the teams to whom we lost, but I did think that a better OL would have given us a real fighting chance.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    Oh no i agree and not being able to run allowed teams to pin their ears back on obvious passing downs. Couldn't even sneak draw plays because they got no consistent push up front. I remember the 2012 and 2018 teams starting out the second half just BEATING on opposing DL's

15. LLCoolJ94

Having a dominant run game can mask other deficiencies, particularly in the passing game. This is of course not lost on CDM lol

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    Brewster , gray, c rob and turner pull their weight imo. Actually they prob pull their own weight and the weight of some others if we’re being honest

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. scooterp

scooterp GC Legend

Feb 15, 2012
    As was Turner

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. cubangator

cubangator Senior

Jul 8, 2017
    Mullen has said in multiple occasions that he evaluate his staff every year in all phases of their work. If is true and i don't have a reason not to believe that isn't true why is Knox still in this staff?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    3 of those 4 are sadly on the defensive side too smh

20. okcgator

okcgator Senior

Sep 24, 2015
    Dayton
    Yeah I would say Johnson, CRob, Gray, and Turner are solid. Then you add Brewster which is an upgrade to Scott. I would like to see us get another young RB coach and Safeties coach. A guy Mike Hart up at Indiana or the alumni route with Gillespie at UNC.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1