Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Great Tre Mann write up

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by Matherly87, Feb 7, 2019.

1. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 5, 2017
    One game and a one on one game where they're not competing. That's not a lot to base an opinion on.

2. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017

This is why Lewis will never be capable of playing the 4, I've heard this outlandish idea frequently though. He often goes up against bigger players because Ranney is really small. He's not built to box out interior oriented players. The kid is barely big enough to be a college 3. Perimeter defender yes, but not ever going to be someone you can rely on for rebounds inside.

3. 407king

407king All American

Dec 8, 2018
    Not sure he'd be asked to play the 4 for us, unless we don't add a transfer. But with our switching, he'll have some matchups with them just going to have to play smart defense. And it depends on the matchup.

If we do add a stretch 4 and/or a true 5, I do like the idea of a small ball unit being used at times with Johnson and Lewis on the floor together as the 3 & 4. Need Johnson to improve his shooting some though.

4. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Lewis will start at the 3 from day one. I've mentioned a rotation of Nembhard, Locke, Mann, Lewis and Payne as a passing whim mainly to see what they could do but not as our primary set. The good thing is Locke, Mann, Lewis and Payne have all been mentioned by various reviews for their above average defensive ability. Locke has already shown his ability. The others have all been chosen to take on an opposing top prospect and hampered their output.

5. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    You're a piece of work. What do you base your opinion on? Are you the Ranney team manager?

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    As of right now, Payne would not beat out Bassett for the starting spot at the 5 nor would he beat out Keyontae for the starting spot at the 4. Obviously, a lot can happen between now and then.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    Leave the dig attempts aside. I base my opinion on watching film of numerous Ranney games, and I've seen a lot of Ranney from the time that it was a possibility that we'd land both Antoine and Lewis. Lewis is a cannon of an athlete but he needs some serious work fine-tuning his perimeter game. Once he gets better at that, he'll be lethal. But he's currently the 2nd option on Ranney's offense, that's just a fact. You can point to a preseason Slam magazine youtube video as your evidence that Lewis is better, that means zero in the grand scheme of things. Antoine was clearly letting Lewis win because he's not a dick and they're friends. Antoine averages significantly higher offensive numbers.

That said, we need Lewis more than Antoine. Lewis is a vocal leader. He does the dirty work on the team. If I had the choice of the two players I'd take Lewis.

8. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Yep I've shared the same about Payne before if he starts or not. I do think he will start some games but tough to say until he settles in and if no injuries occur. One problem for next year that's not being throw out here. Bassett and Payne will both be foul prone next year. Bassett, we already know is foul riddled and Payne, like most freshmen, will find adjusting to different officials a bit troubling at times.

9. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    So, in other words, you haven’t watched Ranney in a while, because Lewis’s perimeter game is now fine tuned. Both players are great. Folks can argue as to who is better. The bottom line to me is that your response to my saying that Lewis will be better than Mann next season was the completely irrelevant statement that Lewis is not even the best player on his team. So, I guess that Klay Thompson would not be the best player on the Knicks because he is only the 3rd best player on his team. Makes a lot of sense.

10. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    I was responding to you saying that Lewis is the best player in his class, not that he will be better than Mann. Which is why I said he wasn't the best player on his own team. Learn how to remember what you previously said. It's not that hard because it's written.

11. 3176

3176 Premium Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Dailey was impressive for a freshman. 6’9” lefty who can handle the ball and shoot. Needs to work on his low post game. His Dad played in Europe for several years. Good family!

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I'm sure Vanguard wishes they had his caliber of player around these days. My have they fallen. Eric Dailey Jr has the chance to lead IMG to even bigger things in the next 3 years.