Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Great strategy this game CBN

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Matthanuf06, Sep 24, 2022.

1. bgator85

bgator85 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sarasota
    I loved the aggressiveness. Not going to question any of it because it put us in a position to win. It’s not a buffet, you can’t just choose the positive results and leave out the bad.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. okeechobee

okeechobee GC Hall of Fame

Sep 11, 2022
    We are short on talent, but a decently coached defense holds UT under 500 yards every time. Turns out, that would have been enough for us to win today.

3. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    No the multiple 50 and 60 plus yard receptions And blown assignments we gave up and the fumble in the red zone put the game out of reach what Napier was doing was trying to keep us in the game And was playing to win

• Like Like x 1
  4. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    Well, that's why you don't go for 2 after every touchdown. Most of the time, they don't convert.

5. bogator

bogator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Fort Myers
    At the end of the day Napier knew we had to score a lot of points to win, so his game plan increased risk for points. He knows his defense and Tennessee has a really good offense. Strategy made sense, you can nit pick and be upset about individual plays, but the strategy was maximize points and it made sense.

• Like Like x 1
  6. willymayshayes

willymayshayes GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Nah, not with our personnel on D. Watch #0 and #2 on the replay.

• Like Like x 1
  7. gatorraider

gatorraider Sophomore

Sep 25, 2016
    Defensive players cost us the game...to blame the coaches makes you look silly to the folks who aren't petty.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. gatorogue

gatorogue Sophomore

Jul 15, 2009

disagree as multiple others will......AR and the Gators were in this game to the end despite some questionable calls by BN.....the 4th down calls were daring and exciting and then were successful for the most part.....great....if not successful early then the game would have been over much sooner, but not putting points on the board early did matter, going for two in the 4th is simply inexplicable.....must not have been good at math.....can't wait to hear the explanation as pretty much everyone else is stumped....AR was tremendous, and while he spread the ball around among the WRs, (Pearsall with his usual solid performance, Shorter stepping up, Zipperer needs more targets, Henderson et al were solid as well)....still don't understand why the RBs are not involved in the passing game.....geez, just try one screen, shovel, pass to the flats, anything.....i don't think even one pass was completed to the RBs....and the defense did well but had too many critical breakdowns and gave up big plays with missed assignments that are hard to understand but assume can be fixed......and despite that, the Gators were in it to the end....too bad it didn't come down to a last second FG for a tie....that would have been awesome..... college game today is too fast paced with too many variables to manage as HC and also execute well as OC. Yes, it can be done but......encouraged by AR's great game and the offense in general.....looking forward to how the season plays out....a fun ( but frustrating) game to watch.......but I'll take it

9. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    Tennessee's Qb threw for like 500 yd on us almost it wasn't desperation he was trying to keep up

10. stabnburn23

stabnburn23 Senior

Mar 29, 2022
    He didn't go for 2 after every touchdown. He went for it when it gave the team the best mathematical chance to win the game.

I get it. You're stuck in the old school "play to tie" mentality. But scared money don't make money

• Like Like x 1
  11. Sulla

Sulla Premium Member

Oct 28, 2012
    Oxford, MS
    Right or wrong, last season’s recruiting should tell you how this guy operates. He is 100% willing to blow something up in the short term if he things it serves the greater long term goal. I wouldn’t be surprised if, like us, he saw this season as probably being less than stellar and is playing the team with an eye on what he wants it to be in 2023 regardless of wins and losses this year.

I’m not saying I agree or disagree, and it’s definitely risky. If he tanks this season pursuing rebuilding the culture here without massive improvement next year, he’ll be in a heap of trouble going into 2024. Regardless, I think that’s who he is. It isn’t about 2022 as much as building a dynasty.

Once again, not saying I think it’s wise or not, but he’s shown us that’s how he operates. The good news for now is he really turned around recruiting after a rough start.

We shall see. In the meantime, try to go easy on your livers.

• Like Like x 1
  12. ETGator

ETGator Long-Time Gator Stuck In East Tennessee Moderator VIP Member

Sep 15, 2007
    You're claiming Florida would have most likely won an OT shoot-out with UcheaT, with the same defense you then said never gave us a shot today, because UcheaT would have been "stunned" at being in OT?

13. Pnick81

Pnick81 Senior

Feb 1, 2015
    UT offense is pretty good. Few coverage blunders otherwise D played better I thought. Very excited for the kids in the future.

• Like Like x 2
  14. gatorraid1989

gatorraid1989 Senior

Aug 3, 2017
    I finally came to this conclusion but it did take me a minute. If he's seriously thinking that far ahead in crunch time like that, dude would have looked like a genius had it worked. Dude, I saw a serious upward trend in offense and our attitude this game. Secondary still needs work. But I'm definitely down to give CBN a few years to get his entire project together. I can see the guy has a serious football IQ.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    At some point, the coaching staff has to take the blame. 600 yards is inexcusable. If the players aren't ready to be out there, put in the players that are. It's on CBN's staff to put the most ready players on the field.

16. Agator88

Agator88 GC Legend

Oct 7, 2014
    Guy can dream

My point was a Tennessee team that just gave up 3 scores to force OT when all hope was lost, would probably continue to choke in OT. I don't think the defense would have been all of a sudden world beaters and stopped them, but anything can happen in OT.

Get past the first OT and it's just 2 pt conversion after that.. oh crap nvm we stood no chance in OT after all haha

17. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    Scared money don’t make money. I wished we’d converted more or them scared money downs.

• Like Like x 1
  18. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    I don't think we made any money today.

19. jtyriver

jtyriver Recruit

Nov 22, 2021
    This is exactly correct. I can’t know the exact coverage assignments, but anytime someone was wide open, Dean was involved in some capacity.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Ahab

Ahab GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Pretty sure that was Dean's backup that let the UT TE run right by him for 70 yards.