Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

Grantham

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by brees2019, Oct 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gatuar

Gatuar GC Hall of Fame

Oct 9, 2008
    Ponte Vedra Beach
    Like Grantham ...he could benefit from some elite DT recruiting. Meyer and Muschamp really stacked that position and Mac killed it, Mullen needs to land some Shariff Floyd - Dom Easley types

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    He said looking at ways we get better so that does have to do with our DC. Gashed last 2 weeks by decent to good running backs. Two best in Swift and Akers yet to come. We’ve got the players to be better defensively.

3. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Disagree with top 3 in nation. He’s top 10 for sure but not top 3.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. freedomgator

freedomgator GC Legend

Mar 26, 2017
    Who are the top 10 in your opinion?

5. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. brees2019

brees2019 Sophomore

Oct 6, 2019
    Yes, as a defensive coordinator yes I'd take him in a heartbeat. The man could not coach offense to save his life, but put together some amazing defensee during his time here. Keanu Neal, Jarrad Davis, Jalen Tabor, Quincy Wilson, Dante Fowler, Bryan Cox. We're delusional if we think we have anywhere near that talent on d now.

7. freedomgator

freedomgator GC Legend

Mar 26, 2017
    You seem to be arguing with a ghost, pretty sure nobody thinks we have that talent level on D right now.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  8. fredsanford

fredsanford GC Hall of Fame

Dec 1, 2008
    These kind of threads are why other fan bases think what they think about UF fans.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  9. brees2019

brees2019 Sophomore

Oct 6, 2019
    That is the entire point of my thread. NO WE DONT HAVE THAT TALENT RIGHT NOW and that's my point. We bash Mcelwain for his recruiting but who is Grantham winning with right now? Mcelwains guy. My initial post simply asked if Grantham was going to make this defense elite because it clearly.isnt right now and what are the signs that it will be? Is he the long term answer? Because he hasn't impressed me in year 2 and we've lost 1 star and 1 d end from that defense

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2019
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. brees2019

brees2019 Sophomore

Oct 6, 2019
    Best coordinators in college football? How many stints has he had as a DC @ major schools? He's average, OUR DEFENSE IS AVERAGE, especially against quality opponents. 3rd and Grantham is a joke. We need a d coordinator who can recruit, is Grantham that guy or do we need to move in a different direction.

Muschamp held his own as d coordinator and the man could recruit. Sorry but he's an upgrade over Grantham as a defensive recruiter and coordinator

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  11. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I learn by watching other college football teams' offenses and defenses line up and make plays. Mullen seems to often forget that SOS passed a ton... a lot more, before he got the running game going. It did vary to end up about 50% run 50% pass. And... I find that interesting...

• Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  12. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    Have you seen the DL we have so far coming in? We also are one of the best teams in sacks, QB hurries, tackles for loss. As well until the LSU game UF had only allowed one score in the 4th qtr all season. Please name another DC who has done the same this season.

13. freedomgator

freedomgator GC Legend

Mar 26, 2017
    It's hilarious to me that you start this colossally stupid thread and then think you're in a position to call anybody an idiot. If Grantham is getting good results with McElwain's players that reflects positively on his coaching, not negatively. As far as recruiting goes, Muschamp's first two years (from my quick scan, because this nonsense isn't worth spending any real time on) had 12 four stars and 2 five stars. Grantham had 13 four stars and Greenard/Cox. Pretty similar, and Muschamp got to come in when the program was stocked with talent and had been winning whereas Mullen/Grantham came in after two successive crapfests.

The entire point of your thread is bad and you should feel bad.

• Winner x 4
    • Agree x 3
    • Best Post Ever x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  14. gator_n_sc

Oct 8, 2013
    The guy was the beginning of what seemed like a lifetime (7 years) of offensive ineptitude and losing seasons. How does such a great coach lose to a FCS school like Georgia southern..... at home...... against a team that completed one pass. If you dont think big time defensive recruits dont take notice when you rack up 10 sacks in a single game you're mistaken. Grantham is a high risk high reward guy. He's willing to risk the occasional big play in exchange for taking the QB's head off. Occasionally every coach meets a better team but that doesn't mean he still isnt ONE of the best week in and week out.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. gator_n_sc

Oct 8, 2013
    So your logic is mcelwain couldn't win with his own recruits but grantham can and somehow to you that means he Can't coach and mcelwain deserves the credit for his success now?

Sound like to me he actually can coach and get the results we expected when these guys were signed whereas mcelwain could not. He has had 1 signed class, how would you expect results on His own signed guys?

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Creative Creative x 1
  16. 95Gator

95Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Studio City, CA
    Dude, I wouldn’t care if we never lost again, I wouldn’t want to see his friggen face and voice every Saturday again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. 95Gator

95Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Studio City, CA
    If there was something higher than “best st ever”, id select it, hyperbole and all! This guy is a troll and none of my Gator friends are anything but super excited and I can tell you for sure I have friends in higher places than this mouth breather.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    It’s probably 50-50 like every other year he’s a dc somewhere. Heard something interesting on radio here in atl the other day. Chuck Oliver had said he’d had multiple coaches say Derek mason is the best dc in the conference if he gets fired and chooses to go back to it. Something for Mullen to think about in case Grantham pulls the rip cord this year

19. justinwitt07

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    But I think ur reaching with your op

20. justinwitt07

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    Agreed

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status: