Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Grantham (Repost)

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by tilly, Oct 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Let me put it another way.

You are Joe Burrow.

I am *Jonathan Greenard.

The ball is snapped.

You have the ball in your hands.

I take the ball away from you.

We hear a whistle - and that down is over.

You do not get any yardage.

Repeat 3 more times and the ball goes over to my team.

*or Jabari Zuniga

============

Now - let's pretend there is no such persons in the game named Jonathan Greenard and Jabari Zuniga.

What happens then?

Well - you saw what happened.

Put Greenard and Zuniga in and Burrow doesn't have the ball and their offense cannot function.

That is the reality of the situation.

• Like Like x 1
  2. antny

antny GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    Again..look at the small sample size of plays zuniga and Greenard played in. They made plays. We got gashed in the run game yet zuniga blew up one run on the opposite end of the line and then left the game. We should have done better still but those guys tip the scale

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. benheb

benheb GC Hall of Fame

Feb 2, 2011
    Colorado Springs
    Well, I'd have to speculate on what would have happened if all three of them had been out or one of them or whatever. We would probably have not done as well with any of them out. But the defense last night didn't just "not do well". Look, I think the game might have been very different with Zuniga and Greenard playing but our defense looked very bad without them. I've never thought it looked that great before but we couldn't take anything away from that offense. Yes it got exposed and without pressure coming from the ends, I not sure they could reliably stop an average offensive, much less the one that UGA throws at us. I hope I'm wrong. I hope someone steps up. But the optics are not good. It wasn't just how good LSU is on O, it's just that our guys weren't close to stopping them. Got gashed in running game, out of position numerous times, receivers open without anyone within 10 yards, pushed around all over the field. Let's hope I get proven wrong next week when we face an improving D and a below average O.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
  4. fredsanford

fredsanford GC Hall of Fame

Dec 1, 2008
    You just don’t understand football if you think there is a defensive answer to a perfectly executed play.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Thank you. With Greenard and Zuniga out, the corn dogs ran all over us. With them in, we knock 10-14 points off their score, and probably win. Tilly’s on record here previously as bashing Grantham and promoting Charlie Strong for DC, so I am skeptical of his judgment on this one. Just being a moderator doesn’t make a person right.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. antny

antny GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    I get it but the point of defense is to win your assignment. Without pressure offenses become more efficient. With poor tackling no gainers or short gainers turn into long ones. Often times teams will give up one aspect to focus on another. We couldn't stop either. The "greatest offense ever" scored 14 against Florida in 2009. Lets not act like LSU is unstoppable because we have poor safety play, 1 good run stopping linebacker and our 2 best lineman out.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. gatorplank

gatorplank GC Legend

Apr 25, 2011
    Yep, statistically it was the worst performance in SEC history by any defense. No defense in SEC history has ever given up a higher yards per play average from scrimmage.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    Agreed. Almost always the correct answer in regards to defense is pressure , specially given how much people throw now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. ThomasD89

ThomasD89 All American

Oct 9, 2011
    I question whether it would have mattered. Secondary was playing so far off their receivers Burrows rarely needed to hold the ball for any length of time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Nov 8, 2008
    Things went as I feared. We hadn't played a good O so it was tough to tell how good our D was but WR's running open but not hit in some of the previous games had me concerned. Good QB's don't miss those guys. And I guess you could say AU has a "good" O, not great. They are certainly nowhere close to the corndogs with Burrow playing though. We needed to win the turnover battle last night and we lost it. Kinda surprised we hung as close as we did. DM and KT had a lot to do with that. And the corndogs' D not being that great.

11. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

No question. I just would like to see some adjustments. Maybe stack the box and play tight man and force JB to throw into tight space.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. tilly

Sure. But 42 points in 21 offensive minutes is not good at all, and all the metrics mean nothing when you get owned like that.
    Nowhere have I bashed anyone or even asked for a change. I am just concerned with what I saw last night. As it lines up with what other fans have said when Grantham was their guy.

I support him, and trust Dan will have the right guy leading the defense. I am just concerned.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. EbSaxman

EbSaxman VIP Member

Apr 14, 2007
    Definitely should dial up the blitz package when you can’t stop the run and the QB is super mobile and incredibly effective in finding open receivers in man coverage. That sounds way more effective than contain and over cover receivers - like we did.

14. tilly

LSU had the ball 41 minutes vs Utah State and scored 42 points.
    LSU had the ball 21 minutes vs Florida and scored 42 points.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    That certainly didn't help...

But this isn't the first time Grantham disappoints...

I think it's fair to say he's inconsistent at this point... but balancing the good with the bad, more often than not he's a good DC...

But if he's going to lay 2 or 3 eggs every given year, this team will always have a ceiling that doesn't involve championships...

Just my 2 cents...

For the record, I'm not saying to get rid of him... I'm saying we should look around to see if we find someone better... which maybe we can't... Grantham is pretty good... but that's all he is, IMO... "pretty good."

Last season, we had the offense bail out the defense several times... and we had the defense bail out the offense several times (which I anticipate Grantham will always do a couple times per season), but we needed the defense to bail out the offense in what we knew was going to be the most hostile environment we play all season... and Grantham laid an egg... Offense did far better than I expected considering where they were playing...

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    We shouldn't necessarily do that either...

17. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    I'd agree if this were the first time our defense plays uncharacteristically poorly under Grantham... but it isn't...

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Recruit, Recruit, Recruit...

Can't say that enough times... It's my only concern regarding Mullen... and I mean the only concern... the dude can flat coach...

Can't be overstated how lucky we are to have him...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. tilly

But they were getting the ball out very quickly. I think they had schemed for our DE's even had they been there.

20. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    Got to give him credit though before the game the entire college game day crew Corso and all mention just how great mullen has been At halftime adjustments, also before the LSU game we have not allowed a single score in the 4th quarter.

It was a lot to overcome, Being on the road in one of the most hostile environments in all of college football against the number 1 scoring offense in all of college football turns out they are pretty good but we were majorly understaffed on our defensive front

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.