Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Grantham (Repost)

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by tilly, Oct 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WC53

WC53 Senior

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    This.... we didn’t have the personnel to compete. Our best defensive player was a grad transfer and he got hurt....seems to sum it up

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. grouchygator

grouchygator Get Off My Lawn Premium Member

Jan 6, 2019
    42 points in 21 minutes is flag football.

• Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. tmape01

tmape01 Freshman

Apr 18, 2007
    Amazing that so many Gator fans are unbelievably sensitive to criticism of the team's performance.

Same type of dudes who spent all week on these boards claiming that "LSU HAS PLAYED NOBODY"

Well, now they played UF and set a brand-new record. The UF defense was absolute trash last night, and now it looks like UF played nobody and got gassed on padded stats. In America, we can talk about it in a frank and open manner - and that's OK.

• Like Like x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  4. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Our safety play was very poor. No safety was in position to even touch a RB on those runs. 11 yards per carry and often untouched by anyone on the Gator D on those plays. Safeties were rarely near a WR all night either. No tips, pass breakups, or even tight coverage. D in general was not ready for this game. Losing Greenard on the first series made our DL look below average. He is a real difference maker. We are a different D and team without him.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    Hendo and Marco both seem at times like their making business decisions in regards to tackling. Just my opinion. But if I’m being honest , if I’m listing in order the biggest oh shits from the defense , I get to more than a couple others before I do them two

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    I tend to agree with you for the most part. The minute we didn’t get pressure at all it didn’t really matter what Grantham called. A qb that is as skilled as burrow is is going to find the open man when he doesn’t have a 290 pound d lineman sizing him up for dinner. That’s just facts

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  7. antny

antny GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    Something was zuniga and Greenards absence. Anyone remember one of Zunigas last plays of the game? He completely blew up a run to the opposite side of the line. They replayed it and focused on him. He AND Greenard out change everything at the point of attack. Find that play and you will see the difference in what he brings

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  8. fredsanford

fredsanford GC Hall of Fame

Dec 1, 2008
    When we went pure man and blitzed, he ran for 35 yards untouched.

Sometimes there are just no answers that will work unless the other team screws up.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  9. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    With both starting de’s with high ankle sprains, doesn’t look good for SC, GA, Missouri. All these teams can run and pass. Here we go zone defensive backfield. I hate the zone, but last night I thought this was the only plan we had.
    For the record:
    Our best DC ever, was Dan Quinn, now the coach of the Atlanta falcons.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. thekentuckygator

thekentuckygator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2018
    Kentucky
    Our season just got more difficult defensively.

11. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    No but they would force throws early and off balance leading PBU's or INT's, they would flush the pocket forcing the QB into non designed scrambles which often lead to fumbles or other mistakes, they would also be able to set the edge forcing plays inside instead of allowing the plays get to the edge putting marco and others into a position to make open field tackle after open field tackle. Turning plays inside like the ends are supposed to helps lead to gang tackling which also helps mitigate a single missed tackle and the impact of such. Having the top 2 pass rushers out of the leading QB sacking team is like tying a boxer's 2 hands behind his back and asking for a KO.

So much more comes from having monsters DE's setting the edge and rushing the QB's than just sacks. It affects the whole defense if they aren't in to get to him and he just sits in the pocket waiting for a open receiver.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    Be careful what you ask for. Guys like Grantham don't stay anywhere long, and, head coaches everywhere seem to respect him. I don't love his personality, but, I'm going to enjoy his skills while we have him. I'm not sure we've had anyone better at DC in a good while. We got beat by a better team last night.

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. benheb

benheb GC Hall of Fame

Feb 2, 2011
    Colorado Springs
    Youre right but I can see how we'd want to take away the big play while we were still in the game (which was most of it). Blitzing was almost guaranteed to fail from what I saw.

• Like Like x 1
  14. melrose12

melrose12 Premium Member

Jun 25, 2019
    We had one of the best Ds just a week ago,now he can't coach.
    Reese was getting block. And the backs ran by him.
    This is a top 3 offense,ave 400 a game passing.
    Let's judge after SC and Georgia. No one has slowed down LSU

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. benheb

benheb GC Hall of Fame

Feb 2, 2011
    Colorado Springs
    You're right but we didn't even slow them down. NOTHING worked without that rush on the edges. I've said it in another thread but they could have scored 70 if our offense didn't play so well with scoring and keep away. I've never been that enamored with this D but last week had me hoping I was wrong. If we don't get Zuniga and Greenard back soon, I'm concerned about the game next week, much less the one three weeks from now. So yeah, I hope I'm wrong and most teams, other than UGA, won't be able to do what LSU did. But our secondary is not as good as they're supposed to be. Our LBs aren't bad but LSU ran all over them last night. We'll see how it turns out but I hope it all doesn't hinge on our edge rushers because they may be out for awhile.

16. benheb

benheb GC Hall of Fame

Feb 2, 2011
    Colorado Springs
    What happened to our D last night is what they call "getting exposed".

• Like Like x 1
  17. xenythx

xenythx GC Hall of Fame

Jul 20, 2007
    Grantham's defense feasts on bad/average QBs or teams with bad offensive lines. Every time he's faced a a decent offensive line with a competent QB, he's been torched.

He pads his stats against inferior opponents. Against Power 5 competition, his defense has given up 20+ points in 9 out of 15 games.

Not sure why he's gotten a reputation as a great DC.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  18. DBCooper

DBCooper GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Hendersonville, NC
    Grantham’s D looks substantially different with a healthy Greenard and Zuniga in the lineup. LSU was imposing their will on both lines of scrimmage. I was impressed by their #18 and #45 at LB as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. antny

antny GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    Nah they are the same defense regardless of whether the 2 NFL defenders are playing or out injured....

20. antny

antny GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    So if trask was out and pitts or Jefferson was as well and the offense stunk would that be "exposing" the offense as well?

I mean the defense definitely has some weaknesses but you cant just plug and play with our depth issues at the moment

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.