Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Grantham (Repost)

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by tilly, Oct 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hotelgator

hotelgator All American

Jun 21, 2007
    Boston
    Hey I apologize for adding my two cents. Feel free to do as you wish, your a moderator.

• Funny Funny x 3
  2. GatorSean

GatorSean GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Is it fundamentals or talent?

We are lacking size and strength on the interior DL. And without any DE's demanding a double team there's just no push.

Our LBs are a bad combination of small and slow. Reese is the only one that can take on a block and make the tackle, and none of them can cover worth a darn.

Our Safties are all small and slow... they need a cushion otherwise they'll get beat deep.

I just don't see this as a coaching issue as much as a talent issue. These are still mostly Mac's players and up until tonight they played way above their talent level.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

That has nothing to do with it. Just point me to a bash or factual innacuracy in my post.

• Like Like x 1
  4. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Thats a reasonable counterpoint. I hope you are right my friend. You can always upgrade talent.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    In My Opinion......without Greenard and Zuniga.....EVERYTHING on D was thrown off tonight and thus we have no business criticizing the rest of the D.

I feel your frustration, Tilly. But we have bigger fish to fry, IMHO.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bad recruiting by Mac on defense. Keep in mind Greenard came from Louisville via Grantham. It'll be 2 more years to get the team where we want them.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. severnt

severnt Junior

Feb 2, 2012
    Weren't we like #1 defense in multiple metrics coming into this game? I just don't get any of this criticism of our defense at all. I'm ecstatic we have an offensive head coach while our defense seems to still push for top in the country in several metrics. I don't know what else you could ask for. I feel we're a few players away from winning these games and going to the big one. THIS coaching staff.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  8. LAGatorDoc

LAGatorDoc GC Hall of Fame

Jul 29, 2012
    I agree LSU offense is legit. But playing off to keep the plays in front of you may work if you... um... keep the plays in front of you. Not when the RBs have 50 yard runs and 5 touchdowns of 5 plays or less... that is not keeping the plays in front of you and time to change strategies.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 3
  9. severnt

severnt Junior

Feb 2, 2012
    Fact: You spelled inaccuracy incorrectly. Kidding! I actually like reading fans venting a bit and criticizing. We should never stop criticizing. However, fans should also accept that if we're leading in several defensive "categories" or metrics, maybe trust the data a bit! I'm sure coaches get paid to coach to metrics and that generally should translate to wins. I just like how things are going even with this loss. I REALLY wanted the win tonight, but realized this stretch of games was going to be tough with the current available roster. I think some of us don't want to see our fellow fans tear the team down too bad. We see your venting as being negative, whereas maybe you see it as being constructive in some sort of critical way... but what outcome do you really hope for? A coaching change? I love this staff!

• Agree Agree x 5
  10. thenazz

thenazz Junior

Sep 4, 2017
    Albuquerque
    Why overthink? D had a bad night in a hostile environment and there were key unexpected personnel losses. Their QB is NFL material. Not much more complicated than that. We are good with the coaches and the future is bright.

A couple of plays go the other way in the red zone, second half, and we could have taken them to OT.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I believe your analysis but can’t say we are recruiting better than Mac.

12. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    as long as we are one deep we will continue to have games where we say player x and y were out so we lost. Last year ir was Georgia and two CBS. Staff has to recruit better. So far it appears 2021 class might be that level.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. number1

number1 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 9, 2011
    Could also be the fact that while our D played an emotionally and physically draining game against Auburn last week, LSU basically had a full month to fine-tune their offense against weak opponents.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
  14. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    To be fair we lost our top 2 pass rushers which is what helps us be so disruptive to the QB. Really hurt us with them being out.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. chunks1

chunks1 All American

Jan 2, 2014
    Calm down. We all want to win but we could be 4 and 3 at this point. I just hope we didnt lose the next game last night as well. Go Gators.

• Like Like x 2
  16. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    Defense got worked for sure. Needed the offense to win us the game last night and it didn’t happen. That offense seems very hard to stop. We needed more talent on the field. Three star talent going up against 4 and 5 star talent is what I saw. Nothing any coach could do.

• Agree Agree x 4
  17. AthensGator

AthensGator Senior

Sep 5, 2007
    Last night felt very different than Georgia last year. I don’ think we have the loose to a team twice thing happening. I was actually more concerned about USC if we had won last night.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. fredsanford

fredsanford GC Hall of Fame

Dec 1, 2008
    Another dumb thread.

Sometimes you just have to acknowledge you got outplayed. Senior QB first round draft pick at home played like Brady. No adjustments would have mattered.

Unless you wanted to give Greenard and Zuniga bionic legs to get them out there.

• Agree Agree x 4
  19. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I'm not going to say which ones they are but we need to replace two position coaches...

20. UFish

UFish GC Legend

Dec 14, 2010
    This post is getting a little hate but you’re not wrong.

LSU set a school record for yards per play against an SEC opponent last night. Our defense wasn’t just beat; it was dominated from start to finish. Yeah, Zuniga and Greenard being out hurt a lot but they weren’t going to help C.J. and Marco tackling or Miller filling the wrong gaps or Dean getting beat repeatedly from the nickel spot.

Yes, their offense is elite. As good as we’ll play probably for the next few years. Everything has come together for them at the right time (stud QB, coaching staff, scheme, veteran line, weapons at receiver, etc.) But should they have been able to set a record against our defense? No, I don’t think so.

• Agree Agree x 6
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.