Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Grantham ... part 3rd and Grantham

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by 95Gator, Nov 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Orangeandblue15

Orangeandblue15 Junior

Jan 2, 2014
    We have 4 safeties that are juniors and seniors. If they aren't coached up to at least know what their assignment is, we have bigger issues.

2. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Coaches can’t make you or me good and maybe not these guys either.

3. Orangeandblue15

Orangeandblue15 Junior

Jan 2, 2014
    It is literally a coaches job to make you better. And these are athletes that were recruited by many top programs maybe minus Stiner to be coached up and become better for a chance to go to the NFL. I'm also not asking for much when I'm saying at least try cover 1 press with the right personnel out there. Again, I'm not saying fire Grantham, but why we are ok with him being ok when we're paying him $1.4mil a year is beyond me. We recruit top15 talent every year undeniably, so why should we be ok with not even being a top25 defense when we have the 10th highest paid D coordinator? What irks me the most is the lack of trying adjustments. What's the harm in trying when nothing else is working??

4. slayerxing

slayerxing GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2007
    When did UGA play Bama?

Bama manned up LSU and even after a DISASTER of a first half they almost won that game.

LSU averaged 7.07 YPP against Bama, which was below their season average of 7.49.

LSU averaged 10.65 YPP against Florida, which was WAY ABOVE their season average.

Which defense had the better day?

LSU is a once in a generation type team right now though, so losing to them at home is totally acceptable and expected. Losing to a vulnerable Georgia team because of a crappy gameplan is harder to excuse.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  5. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Bama did just that with better athletes and didn’t really help. Can’t make chicken salad with... they didn’t recruit these guys either. There’s no substitute for god given talent. Bamas defensive circles should be questioned a bit more being they came ranked 35 yesterday before getting trashed. That’s 35 playing cupcakes with a boatload of talent.

6. Orangeandblue15

Orangeandblue15 Junior

Jan 2, 2014
    Agreed, with the caveat that I think Mullen had just as much if not more to do with our loss to UGA than Grantham. Again not saying fire them, just pointing it out, we need to learn from our mistakes! Right now, we are not.

7. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

who cares?

8. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Bama did not almost win anything. That score is very misleading. We did however have a shot until the very end.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Orangeandblue15

Orangeandblue15 Junior

Jan 2, 2014
    Bama lost a boat load of players to the draft last year and then lost their top LBs for the season to injury and another 5 star DE to injury. They also have been a weak defense this year. They employed exactly what a lot of us have been hoping Grantham would just use once in a while on defense and slowed LSU down big time in the 2nd half. Again they at least tried an adjustment!! What a concept.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    LSU punted 4 times and lost a fumble vs Bama

LSU punted 2 times and no TOs vs Florida. 5 of their last 6 drives were TDs

The Bama/LSU game was faster. So total score can be misleading

Bamas D was bad yesterday. Florida’s D had virtually zero successful drives against LSU. They were historically bad (same with UGA).

And that’s the problem with this Grantham discussion and his supporters. Of course we expect to do worse vs good teams and especially good QBs.

But we’ve been historically bad. Nearly every time the opponent touches the ball they score. No TOs, almost no punts, etc. The LSU game was all TDs as well (why it’s in the running for worst D game in UF history).

If we were just below average on D in those games we’d be undefeated. And if we were just bad, the Grantham noise would be non existent.

But we were historically bad, with the exact same game plan, and it’s fit the same pattern as Granthams other 3 DC stops.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  11. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    You are really bending some things to make your point but okay, it’s a Gator board so we are allowed. :)

The only thing I would say about Grantham is, enough with the third and Grantham’s! He needs to look in the mirror or take some advice from other staff members. That performance against georgia was at best unfortunate.

I realize CDM is a builder not a super immediate split second difference maker. His MO is process and that’s what happening. To get where we all want they have to recruit better and that simply means winning more of the battles for in-state talent. Dan’s going to have to get himself and his coaches to that level somehow because without talent and depth we will be Miss St- some good years and some disappointments. Yes we have a top 10 class and likely to improve. But, nonetheless, we have to stop schools like georgia, bama, clemson, and fsu from taking the best. It should be an expectation and staff priority that generally the best on the state come to UF. That is of course if you expect to see CDM here long term. There is a significant number of us that say something like “no problem, next man up” when we lose a big time recruit. Anyway...

12. steveGator52

steveGator52 All American

May 3, 2016
    DC Metro area
    If the UF defense had a similar night against LSU that Alabama’s defense had, we could have won that game. If Alabama had our offensive performance against LSU, Alabama would have won yesterday.

It’s not about completely shutting down LSU, but limiting them enough to give the offense to score more. Alabama did a better job on defense of limiting LSU, as some of LSU’s points came on errors by the punter and Tuo. Take away those miscues, and LSU may not have won.

13. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Legend

Jul 27, 2015
    I'm definitely ok with Minnesota being above us. Psu only has 1 loss or 2? I guess I just dont get caught up in rankings, especially when we arent in the playoff hunt.

14. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    30+ in the first half. Game over, I don’t think so

15. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    The game was over at half and LSU coasted from there.

16. Orangeandblue15

Orangeandblue15 Junior

Jan 2, 2014
    Whatever helps you sleep at night. An LSU vs Bama game has no effect on our team. The facts at the end of the day are that we have top 15 talent pay for a top 10 coach and have a defense ranked about 30th. I'm not sure why you are content with us having multiple terrible outings with top15 talent and a top10 coach. Especially when if anyone watches they could see that we didn't even really try any adjustments. Would you pay $1.4million a year for a D coordinator to be ok and never change even when his scheme is being exploited if you knew that's what you would get before the hire?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. Orangeandblue15

Orangeandblue15 Junior

Jan 2, 2014
    Also if LSU coasted after half they would've lost 41-33, so I think coasted is a little extreme lol.

18. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    The game was never in question.

19. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    We were in the LSU game until the very end unlike Bama. We held Georgia to 24. Considering the talent gap at the los in both games, I’d say our coaches did a good job giving us a shot to win both games.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. nolancarey

nolancarey GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2009
    I imagine you care enough to respond. Even if we're out of the hunt, I imagine rank probably has some bearing on recruiting, T.V. ratings, and attendance figures. Also, you responded to my earlier post 5 hours ago with a similar, though more execrable response ... so by deductive reasoning you can imagine the person to whom you responded cares in some measure. So the answer to your question is: me. Nice to meet you. Had your Metamucil yet?

• Funny Funny x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.