Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Grantham ... part 3rd and Grantham

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by 95Gator, Nov 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

I was being a bit hyperbolic, but we did bring some pressure packages today and got a lot of pressure rushing 4. I am fine with rushing 4 when it works. If our 4 man front isn't getting to the QB then you have to do something else. We weren't getting close with a 4 man front vs UGA and LSU.

But I am not going to pile on this week. Two great efforts in a row regardless of opponent are great to see.

2. tilly

No question, but are you playing to lose close, or to win? What we were doing was not going to win those games.

But like I said just above. That is for another day. I want to celebrate the great D the past two weeks and enjoy being 9-2.

3. tilly

We agree. He is an improvement over what we had under Shannon. No doubt.

4. gator_annarbor

gator_annarbor Sophomore

Nov 9, 2019
    I think the issue with Grantham is not simply failing to bring pressure. You don’t need to blitz much when front four can generate pressure. However when the talent differential is small then you scheme appropriately. In my view Granthams issue is a lack of schematic creativity to cover up personnel deficiencies which you need in order to be a championship program year to year. Against uga/LSU we were outmatched and the D was bad. Against vandy or a one- dimensional auburn offense, we were good. This results in too much variability in performance.

Someone like mason would kill it at Florida.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
  5. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    Maybe because LSU and Georgia have All Americans at the QB position?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. MaceoP

MaceoP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    You cannot be a championship program year to year when you have glaring personnel deficiencies. Our OL is across the board inferior to UGA and near the bottom of the pack in the SEC. We are only average at safety and probably (aside from Reese) below average at LB. No amount of scheming can cover these deficiencies up when you start playing elite teams. Recruiting is now the issue and we need to step that up to compete with the top teams. If our coaches can start stockpiling talent the way Georgia, LSU, Bama, Clemson does, we will be able to compete. With comparable talent, I would take Mullen/Grantham over any O/D coaches in the nation.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. freedomgator

freedomgator GC Legend

Mar 26, 2017
    Also DT

• Like Like x 1
  8. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    Excellent post

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. tilly

Fromm and UGA the past 3 weeks:
    vs Auburn: 46.4% comp | 13% on 3rd downs.
    vs Mizzou: 44.8% comp | 50% on 3rd downs.
    vs Florida: 66.7% comp | 66% on 3rd downs.

• Like Like x 2
  10. gator_annarbor

gator_annarbor Sophomore

Nov 9, 2019
    Agreed. No scheme can overcome extreme talent discrepancy. However I don’t think our talent is bad enough to produce historically bad numbers. Grantham is a feast or famine DC. One just has to learn to live with a couple of duds a year.

Looking at the Baylor-OU game, I am sure everyone agrees that OU recruits better than BU. Still OU is getting worked by BU. It’s clear that good coaches can coach to reduce the impact of talent disparity.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
  11. GatorInTX2014

GatorInTX2014 Senior

Feb 5, 2014
    Temple, TX
    Grantham directly costed us at least 1, maybe 2 games with terrible game planning. He can go.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 4
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. freedomgator

freedomgator GC Legend

Mar 26, 2017
    vs Auburn 21 points
    vs Mizzou 27 points
    vs Florida 24 points

• Like Like x 2
  13. GatorSean

GatorSean GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    This will make some of you happy... just heard that Virginia Tech will be targeting Grantham for their soon to be open DC position. I don't think they can match what we are paying him, but it's his alma mater so he might go anyway. If they can't get Grantham they are also looking at Torrian Gray.

14. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Think Grantham would prefer MSU Head Coaching job if comes open. Kid will be there next year. Could see Gray jumping for HCing opportunity. Not sure for DC, as could be in line for that job, if TG departs UF.

15. tilly

And if we had held Fromm to 46% and 13% on 3rd downs we win going away. You get the point.
    Lets just see what happens next year. He has earned that. But I will remain concerned.

16. freedomgator

freedomgator GC Legend

Mar 26, 2017
    Wait, isn't Bud Foster the DC for eternity there? Also, hands off our guys Hokies!

17. GatorSean

GatorSean GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    He's retiring after this season.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. mcorsair15

mcorsair15 All American

Sep 2, 2018
    what happened to the bam bam brothers? Thought they’d be huge contributors this far

19. freedomgator

freedomgator GC Legend

Mar 26, 2017
    I don't remember who even had that nickname, but I feel like the loss of 93 prior to the season was huge since we're thin at that position. Thank goodness we brought in 88 from WV, transfers playing a big role in filling gaps.

20. twodaparty

twodaparty GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    From an all American? Now that’s some funny Ish right there. Dude is essentially a handoff monkey with superior talent around him who takes advantage of it and sprinkles in short throws every now and then. His two backups the last couple of years are doing better than him. From won’t be a first team all American, second team all American or third team all American. If they had 4th 5th and 6th team all Americans he wouldn’t make those either. All American???? Bwahahahah.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.