Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Governor Ron DeSantis Signs Hallmark Anti-Riot Legislation in Florida

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gatorplank, Apr 20, 2021.

1. snatchmagnet

snatchmagnet Bring On The Bacon Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Parts Unknown
    I apologize, I misunderstood, you were probly referring to something else while being too scared to actually say what you meant.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007

3. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    DeSantis says it's fundamentally different, because the Cubans are fightng oppression and apparently American blacks are not. They're just so ungrateful

Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 6
  4. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    He basically admitted what those of us with common sense knew when he signed this bullshit legislation. These people are so transparent.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  5. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    So the governor's assessment of the validity of the traffic blocking group's message/purpose should control whether or not the law applies. That is pure, unadulterated dumbassery, Ron.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  6. GatorJMDZ

Apr 3, 2007
    Apology accepted, Mr. Magnet.

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Related.

8. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Confrontation with who/what? These people are confused about where they are lol. African American Blacks are fighting what they feel is lack of equality here. These people are protesting full scale oppression in their home country, yes, but they (or their parents/grandparents) already fled their home country! They are no longer there to fight.

If they are ready for a real fight, could probably charter a few boats to Cuba. Maybe Bay of Pigs 2.0 will go better the 2nd time around!

I’m only half kidding. This could be a once in a generation opportunity to topple the Cuban regime. Seems like there’s zero appetite for the U.S to put boots on the ground though. So unfortunately, it will probably go about the same as the protests in Iran and Russia in recent years. Realistically it’s the Cuban people that need to do it, blocking random highways in the U.S. isn’t going to get that accomplished. All it does is expose some people’s hypocrisy about these sort of protests.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  9. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I support Cuba Libre. Ultimately it will be about whether the security forces stay loyal, and so far they are.
    But make no mistake. Those in solidarity are blocking roads all over. I did myself a bit Sunday night, but it not a well travelled road. Now those in solidarity are blocking traffic. There is no doubt how BLM protestors would be treated now if they did the same, but it was always clear that the law was directed solely at that message

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. G8R92

G8R92 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 5, 2010
    The riot police are at the Mexican border keeping our state running smoothly.

• Funny Funny x 6
  11. Trickster

Trickster Premium Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Such utter BS! He knows there's no fundamental difference between the two, but lacks the integrity to tell that to his base.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    There is a fundamental difference though, one group is American, trying to make America better. The other group is still holding allegiance to a foreign country and making trouble for Americans while advancing the cause of a foreign country.

I think both groups should be free to speak, but if we are only going to shut down one of the groups, it should clearly be the foreigners.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  13. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    I’m trying to even understand what is being demanded, especially those that bought in to MAGA America first non-intervention/nationalism, or those that actually participated in crooked attempts to subvert U.S. democracy.

They asking for Biden to invade Cuba with American troops? The country they all fled instead of fighting for freedom?

Umm... yeah... ok. If they think the crooked regime is ripe to be toppled with the Castros out, then get ‘yer asses over there and fight for it. Blocking street corners in Tampa or Miami is doing less than nothing. They need to choke the Cuban govt, not local areas in FL. :rolleyes:

At least the BLM knew who to disrupt (as misguided as even much of that was, where it turned to vandalism, etc).

• Like Like x 1
  14. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    The one realistic thing we can do and demand in the US is to lift the embargo, but most of those people are the ones we keep the embargo in place for

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    This is correct. The people blocking the streets aren't protesting the brutality of the American government, indeed they are basically taking the US government's line on Cuba. Other than some show of solidarity with whatever they imagine the Cuban protests are about, what's the point of protesting?

16. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    It’s a bit of a catch 22 type situation.

The embargo in large part is what leads to the economic suffering, but in a moment where they are on the ropes and with the Castros out maybe there’s an opportunity for this 50 year failed policy to finally work. Lifting the sanctions gives relief to the Cuban people, but also takes the pressure off the Cuban govt. If it doesn’t fall now, it’ll probably be another 50 years.

But if the best Cuban Americans have to give is blocking fast food establishments in Miami and Tampa (disrupting the free country they fled to), I guess the communists can look forward to permanent rule in Cuba.

17. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    The government would be on less firm footing if the embargo was lifted and they cant deliver though. When have sanctions ever toppled a government and installed a government friendly to the country that was inflicting misery on the same people? Sanctions are basically just a form of warfare without having to bomb someone. Its not a tool of diplomacy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    That overestimates the impact of the embargo. Even were the embargo lifted, and I could easily support significant lifting in exchange for real political reform, releasing political prisoners, allowing dissent, etc., there will still be significant economic deprivation due to mismanagement. Remember, only the US embargos, Europe and Canada do not, and we don't use secondary sanctions through the banking system like we do with Iranian sanctions

19. GatorJMDZ

Apr 3, 2007
    If the current Cuban government is run out, a friendly regime takes over and full diplomatic relations with the US restored, there are going to be decades worth of deportations.

20. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    Blocking traffic....burning and looting buildings....

Sure, I can see how different views on reacting to those 2 activities would be grotesque hypocrisy...

:rolleyes:

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1