Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Gotham Style Picke 'em: Gators @ Gamecocks

Discussion in 'Nuttin but Net' started by gatordavisl, Jan 14, 2022.

1. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Guys, we have volunteers doing this contest. He set the rules at the start of the season. So far we have had polite discussion so let it stay that way.

Thanks to @gatordavisl who taking his time to do this contest this season. Appreciate it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. ApexNC

ApexNC GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    NC
    My only problem is penalizing for fouls. There are actually good fouls. I can see penalizing for fouling out, but my dad used to say that if you didn't commit any fouls then you probably didn't play as hard as you could have. To each his own, but I cringe at penalizing guys for fouling.

LOVE this competition though and I agree that we all knew the rules when we "signed up"

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    A lot of people on here have gotten close in most of the games. It is fun to see where we land each game. Everyone likes to win but as in Vegas, the picks count. Thanks for putting it up Gatordavis.
    It helps keep interest in the Gator men’s basketball, no matter the results!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Thanks

Don't agree with your last statement. Do you have evidence of this? Just anecdotal, but Castleton was MVG two of the last three games. If there's a specific game where the metric is off (I acknowledge that it will be, esp. in blowout wins), tell me. I don't agree with the blanket statement, though.

The biggest weakness of the metric is that it does not seem to adequately account for minutes. I don't think it puts too much emphasis on any one stat, though. It's fairly comprehensive and reasonably balanced, imo. Shooting % is not weighted any more than blocks, steals, etc. so some of the "grinder" stats are well rewarded.
    Thanks again. I'll ignore your last sentence and hope you understand that my defensiveness stems from all the time devoted to preparing the threads, reviewing the stats, calculating and posting the results, etc. Hell, I even watched a Youtube video to ensure I had the Excel formula correct. And should we ever meet in person, I will gladly get you a choice beverage for your MD win.

• Like Like x 1
  5. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Good point, and THIS is how to argue against the metric. You may be right about fouls. As I noted, it was one of the factors in the diff between Castleton/Reeves. OTOH this team just doesnt foul much. I intended to start a thread on this and will do so in a minute. It's not often that Gators are getting penalized heavily for fouls because other than Jitoboh (who has vastly improved in this regard) and Felder, most of them don't foul much.