Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

GoT Season 8: a poll (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by exiledgator, Apr 11, 2019.

Who rules Westeros?

1. Jon Snow

14 vote(s)
    32.6%
  2. Daenarys Targaryen

3 vote(s)
    7.0%
  3. Bran Stark

9 vote(s)
    20.9%
  4. Arya Stark

6 vote(s)
    14.0%
  5. The Night King

2 vote(s)
    4.7%
  6. Cersie Lanister

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Gendry

2 vote(s)
    4.7%
  8. Jamie Lanister

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Tyrian Lanister

4 vote(s)
    9.3%
  10. Samwell Tarley

3 vote(s)
    7.0%
  1. enviroGator

enviroGator Premium Member

Apr 12, 2007
    Not a fan of the writing of this season, but the cinematography is amazing. They do a great job showing the chaos of war.

But at this point, I just don't care that much anymore about the story.

They forced this transformation to the mad queen too fast for me. In an episode and a half she goes from all benevolent to burning down a city of a million people for no reason at all.

The Northmen soldiers turn out to be nothing but scumbags. Killing and raping civilians with great joy? I get the dothraki soldiers but come on. The north was supposed to be disciplined and principled.

And where did this dothraki force come from anyway? We saw them all but wiped out against the night king.

The ballista went from super weapons to useless. By the way, apparently no one in the media has ever heard of one before as they just keep calling them giant crossbows.

Cersei needed a much more personal death. Now no one will even know what happened to her.

Whatever... I'm sure I will watch the final episode but I am really disappointed in this season and how they are wrapping it up. Feels very forced.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. SmootyGator

SmootyGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 17, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    It is forced... and I don't think the writing is necessarily bad. I think there's just no way to really end the show well in only 6 episodes. If they were able to stretch out this season and end it with the battle of Winterfell, then have next season to lead up to where we are now, I think it would have been wonderful.

They just ended it too early, for whatever reason...

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Miami, OK
    They were really the Fools Gold Company.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  4. wgbgator

wgbgator Tiny "Boop Squig" Shorterly Premium Member

Well, they did look resplendent in that armor until they just burned without killing anyone.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. wgbgator

I think the signs were always there, she was crucifying people years ago after all. She could never resolve the contradictions between liberation and revenge in her battles. But I agree that the writing in this transition was clunky, they never did enough to stick the landing. They didn't really abandon the idea that she could be good until the very end. Everything in the last 2-3 seasons has been rushed and forced, mostly for monetary reasons.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. enviroGator

Apr 12, 2007
    I was actually putting that in my message but cut it out. I agree, 100%. Battle w/ the dead one season, battle w/ Cercei the next.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. enviroGator

Apr 12, 2007
    I don't know if you made that up or saw it somewhere, but that is awesome!

8. enviroGator

Apr 12, 2007
    Cleganebowl did not disappoint though. The Hound would have kicked the Mountain's a$$ were it not for the Mountain being turned into some undead super zombie.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. enviroGator

Apr 12, 2007
    She was crucifying people who had just crucified innocent women and children. Pretty big difference in brutal justice and senseless slaughter.

But I agree, there were signs... burning Dickon (Dickon... lol....) was more than just justice.

10. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Miami, OK
    That's my own, I didn't see it anywhere.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. altalias

altalias GC Legend

Aug 13, 2008
    Where did the magic go? The white walkers disappeared without and fanfare and the red lady disappeared. I don't think this is what George R R Martin would have written if he had finished it. You can tell when it switched to D an D and it seems they lost some themes in the transition. I agree that the "mother of dragons" transition seems forced and happened to quickly. Its not bad but I feel like I am not getting the real ending to GoT.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. wgbgator

So I read a throw away comment recently that answers this question for me. They don't want to spoil the prequels and spin offs by explaining the show's mythology in great detail.

13. SmootyGator

Apr 17, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    Also, it would have given them time to expound on things, such as Jon telling Sansa and Arya about his lineage. The way the show is crammed together now it was Jon telling them, then like 5 minutes later Tyrion knows, then the beginning of the next episode BOOM everyone knows. There are plenty of other examples, but that's one that would have been nice to see develop over a few weeks instead of half a show...

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    Didn't mean to write a bulleted novel, but I did:

I know there's a lot of hate out there, but last night was a super solid episode. I think with time it will be viewed as one of the better in the series.

Peter Dinklage (Tyrion) absolutely crushed it (5 stars)!
    • Fessing up to Varys about ratting him out, then the pain/weight of Varys' instant forgiveness
    • Saying goodbye to his brother - one of the best scenes of the whole show, IMO.
    • His coming to terms with Dany being who he kept telling everyone she isn't, as she lays waste to KL.
    CleganeBowl was everything we hoped it could be. (5 stars)
    • The lead up with the Hound telling Arya to not live his life of revenge, then her calling him "Sandor". Wow.
    • The Hound dispensing of Kings Guard like butter then ignoring Cersei as she scooted out (which was funny, btw. "I'll just let you boys get to it.... Don't mind me...")
    • If not for being FrankenMountain, The hound would have had him easy.
    • The realization that the only way to kill his brother was murder/suicide into.... wait for it.... fire!
    Jamie and Cersei: (3.5 stars)
    • There go the theories that Jamie went to kill his sister. Though he's a good man, he could never overcome his addiction to his evil sister.
    • Lena Headey got paid a lot of money to stare out a window.
    • Disappointing that her death wasn't more vengeful, but her end with Jamie and only caring for her children fit her character.
    Dany / Jon: (3.5 stars)
    • Yes, her reverting to the Targaryen norm was faster we'd like, but not totally unexpected or unpredicted.
    • Jon having to deal with a world that is no longer black and white, the living v the dead (and that his aunt/lover/queen is a maniac) was interesting to see. Is he capable of not being Ned Stark or will he too die holding his unbendable values of honesty and honor? This isn't a new question, so points off...
    Arya: (4 stars)
    • Again, "Sandor" Awww.....
    • They had to use something to show the devastation - Arya was it.
    • The horse. Jaqen H'ghar? Bran? That was something big that I don't get..

A lot done right, but still too fast. At least I was on edge for the first time in a while.

As I said before, If they don't bring back in the mythology (TeR / NK / LoL / CotF) next week, I'll be severely disappointed. Too much of a current of magic through it all to just end with a couple mortal ex-lovers squabbling for the throne.

Speaking of the throne, does it still exist?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. SmootyGator

Apr 17, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    Yeah, the white horse was lost on me....

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Swamplizard

Swamplizard VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    I looked, and behold, an ashen horse; and he who sat on it had the name Death; and Hades was following with him. Authority was given to them over a fourth of the earth, to kill with sword and with famine and with pestilence and by the wild beasts of the earth.

I think that is where the writers were going with the horse in my opinion

• Like Like x 4
  17. CaptUSMCNole

CaptUSMCNole GC Hall of Fame

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    It was also the horse of the leader of the Golden Company, who was a lover of Dany’s I believe.

18. CaptUSMCNole

CaptUSMCNole GC Hall of Fame

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    I think they alluded to it a lot. The whole conversation between Varys and Tyrion after she killed the Tarly’s. Then again at Winterfell after the battle with everyone praising Jon and Danny saying no one in the Seven Kingdoms knows her or what she did prior to getting there. I think she felt betrayed by Jon and the Starks and knows that she will always have to deal with Jon’s claim. After she loses her best friend to Cersei, she feels abandoned and doesn’t think she can trust any of her closest advisors and that they may be planning on killing her to put Jon on the Throne. She realizes she needs to be feared in Westeros and by her own people, so she shows them what she is truly capable of.

I agree it felt a little rushed but when you only have six episodes, you don’t have a lot of time for character development when you have White Walkers to fight and cities to destroy.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  19. enviroGator

Apr 12, 2007
    So why didn't they commit to doing this right? It can't be because of money, they were killing it. And if money wasn't working out, then why all the spinoffs?

It can't be because of running out of story lines, we are all complaining like hell that they rushed the story lines they have.

It just sucks that for whatever reason they tried to squeeze two seasons into 3/4 of a season.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. GatorToTheEnd

GatorToTheEnd VIP Member

Oct 4, 2014
    Pensacola, Fl
    You are thinking of Daario naharis who was leader of the Second Sons and is still in esteros.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1