Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

GOP strips insulin cap from bill

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Gatorhead, Aug 7, 2022.

1. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I did read around a bit on it, I guess what got taken out in reconciliation is the private insurance side, but caps are still coming for government programs.

2. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Offer the cap as a stand-alone and let’s see if the GOP vote for it.

3. FutureGatorMom

FutureGatorMom Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    I have a friend with Type I. She is not on insulin yet, but told me it is only a matter of time. Type II can be reversed, type I cannot. Good for you that you figured out how to reverse it!

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  4. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    I’d be interested to know why they voted against it.

5. coleg

coleg GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2011
    "According to a 2016 study published in Diabetes Care, approximately 40 percent of people with type 2 diabetes can reverse their condition through drastic changes in diet, exercise, and body weight."
    It was noted that type II is NOT curable but can be controlled as above. BTW the body weight loss is in the 30-35 lbs. range. Unfortunately it didn't reverse for me (71 yo) even though I lost 45 lbs. and increased exercise to avg. 7km. walking/day.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. G8tas

G8tas GC Hall of Fame

Sep 22, 2008
    You know why. The quick answer is they don't care unless it's a fetus. They fake being pro life but when it comes to voting to protect the lives of real people they always vote no. Some of those GOP senators have given speeches on the effect of high insulin prices and how people have died because they can't afford it. What do they do when they have a chance to affect change? They vote no. They're not conservative and they're not pro life. Those that support them aren't pro life either

7. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Eat a Whole Foods plant based diet.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist

Apr 3, 2007
    I’ll defend this move (or at least offer a rationale). A price cap is a blunt economic instrument that often results in bad outcomes, notably shortages in the product.

The question that needs to be addressed is why is insulin so expensive? If we can figure that out, we can determine, 1) if the price is the proper product of supply and demand, or 2) if there is a market failure. If #2, as seems likely, then the better remedy would be to try to fix that. Perhaps it’s a barrier to entry in the market, or an information asymmetry, where doctors/patients don’t fully understand the insulin effects. This second idea of lack of information is what physician John Abramson argued in his book Sickening, but not everyone has come to the same conclusion.

In the end, I probably wouldn’t vote for a price cap either, and I don’t think it’s because I don’t care for my fellow humans. I honestly worry that such a move might do more harm than good for them. Perhaps I am mistaken, but if so, im still not heartless, more like brainless.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    But surely they have some rationale, weak though it may be. I hoped one of our resident conservatives would have provided.

10. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Insulin is so expensive because people will die without it. So they will pay whatever the price is.

The same manufacturers sell insulin at much lower prices outside the US (a tenth of the price outside the US).

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Old numbers, but interesting to see his insight having investigated costs over the years.

Insulin in America: A Right or a Privilege?

12. FutureGatorMom

FutureGatorMom Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    She is lucky if she weighs 120 lbs soaking wet. Hopefully that is enough for her to stay stable. Losing weight like you did and exercising I'm sure has helped more than you think. Everyone should do that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. G8tas

G8tas GC Hall of Fame

Sep 22, 2008
    Schumer just said he is going to bring it up for a vote this fall