Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Google is going...Suspicious

Discussion in 'Gator Bytes' started by tegator80, Feb 15, 2018.

1. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    This seems to be the best place to post this, although it is universal. I just don't want to post this on every forum.

Google is going...suspicious...beginning this evening (or that is when I found it). I use images and GIFs for brevity on some of my posts (usually humorous, at least to me) and I "google" a concept and use "images" or "gif" as one of my search tags. I would get inages or GIFs and I could get to see the image address, which I could then embed on the forums. As everyone knows, the new updates makes uploading images you have on your computer a non-starter. Now, Google "saves" your images for your "use". Um, unless they are the "copyright police" aren't they getting into the monitoring business?

Does anyone have a solution to what is going on via google? Another search engine that is less intrusive?

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. LakeGator

LakeGator Mostly Harmless Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Tampa
    Virtually everyone knows that Google makes their rather obscene revenue by selling their victim’s privacy, but most people have no idea how far that invasion goes. Everyone knows that Google sells your information to advertisers and assumes that is as far as it goes. The victims are conditioned to think the price you pay is a small exposure of yourself, but the price is far higher.

I highly recommend the book Future Crimes, written by a cyber crimes expert, Marc Goodman. He details how Google gets a significant amount of their revenue by providing your information to the dark web. It is legal but certainly seems of questionable ethics. I have found it laughable that Google has a motto of “First, do no harm.” My question is to whom?

Google’s products are the victims who use their various tools. The victims think the tools are products when, in fact, they are only conduits for extracting information from the actual product being sold to all manner of entities, many who have little or no qualms about committing crimes against you.

Sorry for the anti-Google rant. To answer your question, virtually all of the big ones are horrible regarding invasion of your privacy. This article gives some advice that SEEMS fair and DuckDuckGo seems quite honest.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. themistocles

themistocles VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Temple Terrace, FL
    Google is EVIL. They support the NSA and fail to support US, the people.

Never use Google for anything. For Searches, use either Secure Startpage or DuckDuckGo.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. adampaul883

adampaul883 Recruit

Jun 6, 2018
    Google is smart enough to track us down or get information about our activity. They also know what we eat today because of the Smartphones. Now, these days Google is everything, you have to find something, Google is the best option to get information of all things.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. enviroGator

enviroGator Premium Member

Apr 12, 2007
    Uh, I don't think Google is Evil. In fact their company motto is "Don't be Evil."

Having played around in the web development world for awhile (I must admit, I'm pretty rusty now days) I'm pretty sure I know where most of their revenue comes from and I'm fairly certain it it isn't from selling your private information. I seriously doubt they are actually "selling" your information at all.

Yes they track the living crap out of you. But I doubt they are selling that info to anyone. They are using it to help them target ads at you that you will be more likely to click on. I don't see anything necessarily evil in that. In fact if I have to see ads I'd much rather they were ads I might be interested in.

Now Facebook... that should be renamed the FacebookofEvil. Those guys will make a buck off of you any way they can.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. LakeGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Tampa
    You are entitled to your opinion no matter how inconsistent it is to the facts. I provided the link to a very well researched book which shows that Google DOES sell the information in a manner a bit worse than what has been shown by Facebook.

I am not sure how being able to write a bit of HTML makes you an expert on their business practices. Nor do I understand how you have confidence in them just because their marketing creatures have the "Don't be evil" slogan in place. How many companies have "Place the customer first" as a slogan and turn around and do their best to fleece them?

Anyone who believes any of the big Internet based corporations are benign is being naive.

7. enviroGator

Apr 12, 2007
    I will read the reference when I get a chance. I checked out the reviews, and they honestly don't give me much faith that it is a solidly developed book. Something more like my paranoid conspiracy theory loving sister would buy into.

Regarding how my web development work gives me insight into how they make their money, I've mostly been out of the business for nearly 10 years and even at my prime I was a part time hack, but the time I spent building my own websites (including my own search engine) and learning how to monetize them gave me very good insight in how others make their money on their websites. I understand Google's adsense and adword programs. I see how they monetize their search search results and advertising on other web properties like youtube. It is all very obvious, above board, and very lucrative.

I'm sure you have heard of the story of the golden goose. Why would they try to tweak a wee bit more money by doing shady stuff when they make so much just from their very above board advertising revenues? If anyone ever catches them doing that, they could lose the near monopoly they have on search, email, etc. It just doesn't make any sense when you realize what they have to lose.

8. enviroGator

Apr 12, 2007
    Startpage is powered by google. Their ads are definitely google ads. Their search results sure look like Google's results. Google will be able to track you on any search you do on this site just as if you did it on Google itself.

I did a quick test on DuckDuckGo and their results sure look like Google results to me too for the search terms I used. I didn't see much for ads on their site, and the few I did see seemed to be a DuckDuckGo powered ad. It is possible this site is using Google results but not passing your IP address on to Google in the process, but it is hard to tell.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  9. enviroGator

Apr 12, 2007
    This is just bullcrap dude. Sorry... that is not how they make their money.

Here is a link that might give someone some real insight into how they make money (and although it is a little out of date it looks like I was right on the money - adsense and adwords) -

How Does Google Make Its Money?

A more recent article, more of the same although it does talk about YouTube ads a bit more -

How Does Google Make Money?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  10. enviroGator

Apr 12, 2007
    Not sure quite what you are getting at, but how I do that is

Search for an image I want in the "images" tab. I then click on one of the images in the results. This opens it into a bigger preview version. I right-click the image and then select "copy image address". Then back at GatorCountry, in your post, click the image icon and paste in the image address.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  11. LakeGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Tampa
  12. enviroGator

Apr 12, 2007
    Dude you are off base again.

In your own article it makes it clear that it is NOT Google that is doing this, but other companies that are developing browser add ons. If I download and install a browser add on and it reads my Gmail, or anything else I browse and look at... why is that Google's fault?

Short answer... it isn't. It is the company that made the add on (Return Path in this example) and the person that voluntarily installed that add on.

13. LakeGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Tampa
    As the article clearly states to those who actual have OPEN minds these third party companies are licensed BY your good friends at Google to do exactly what they do. They are harvesting the personal information maintained by Google. They are SUPPOSED to do it for their own internal use but as the Future Crimes author has outlined, many of them make their money by selling the information to companies and individuals with even fewer ethics.

I realize your OPINION is that Google can do no wrong and Facebook is the devil. Anyone who actually understands what these companies do know that both are using people like you are fodder to make a profit. I am happy that you are happy with Google but the FACTS are that Google invades privacy as their business model.

There is no point in arguing with you as you are not using facts that don't conform to your opinion.

I wish you well.

14. enviroGator

Apr 12, 2007
    Wow... pretty damn insulting post from a mod.

You falsely state that Google makes their "obscene revenues" by selling your privacy. I point out that is bullshit and give you links to reputable articles that discuss exactly how Google makes their money and you aren't man enough to admit your bullshit was wrong. You either didn't know how Google actually made their money or you lied. Which was it?

You then post another article claiming Google is partnering with app companies and allowing them to scan and read your gmail. I point out that is not what the article is saying and you come back with an insulting post stating it is "clear in the article that they are licensed by google" despite the fact the word licensed is not even in the article. Really, I can't make this up....

Anyway, we agree on one thing, there is no point in my discussing anything with you. Enjoy your tin hat while you type away on your VAX terminal.

I too wish you well.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  15. enviroGator

Apr 12, 2007
    To the rest of you who happen upon this thread.

Yes Google tracks you all over. They create a "profile" of each user and use it to determine what your interests are.

They then match that with ads that meet those interests. The advertisers are bidding for certain "adwords" like "beer making" or "wedding dresses". Everytime someone clicks on a google ad the advertiser pays Google what ever they bid for the click. Some terms may go for just a few pennies per click, but many go for $10s of dollars - probably much more for some terms.

Google gets most of that revenue directly from it's own search results. When you search, the top of the page often has 3 or 4 ads. People clicking on those ads are probably 50% of the revenue - one of those links I posted had recent breakdowns - I'm just spitballing here on %'s. You might think, no one clicks on ads anymore, but it is not true especially w/ Google ads because they are so well targeted to your interests.

Then their adsense program is for other web developers to "host" google ads on their websites. On my websites, I have run Google's Adsense ads for 15+ years now. When someone clicks on an adsense ad on a website - say GatorCountry - the owner of the website gets a fair share of the "bid" amount for the click. This is about another 20% or so of Google's revenue.

Other significant sources are the ads on Youtube, licensing Android operating system, Google Play's app market, etc.

Google has been on the forefront of evolution of the web and has had to deal with many new privacy issues. The privacy advocates have pushed back on some of what Google was doing (such as scanning your email to develop profiles of you) and Google has made changes to help satisfy those concerns.

Yes, of all of the big tech companies out there, I'm pretty happy with how Google treats my privacy. They are not evil.

If I don't want to be tracked I can turn on a VPN and open a private browser tab. I used to use Tor Tor Project | Privacy Online if I really didn't want someone to see what I was up to.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  16. enviroGator

Apr 12, 2007
    I don't know but this thread makes me laugh. Nerd fight!!!!

[​IMG]