Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Goodbye John Madden - Love ya Coach

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by thatguy, Jan 30, 2022.

1. thatguy

thatguy Moderator

Oct 2, 2020
    Tallahassee
    [​IMG]

ON CHRISTMAS DAY, John Madden gathered his close family members and friends around his TV at 2 p.m. A documentary about him and his tall-tale life, "All Madden," was airing on Fox, and he wanted to watch it with the people he loved the most.

Many of the people in the room with him -- namely, his wife, Virginia, and sons, Joe and Mike -- had made tremendous sacrifices over the decades as Madden rose to stardom, first as a Hall of Fame coach, then as a broadcaster, then as an esports pioneer. He'd often acknowledge that he missed more of his boys' young lives than he ever wanted. "Virginia raised the kids," he'd tell friends.

But his family also had invested deeply in Madden's success, and this documentary served as a perfect coda to their family story. They were proud of him, and Madden considered his career to be theirs, too.

As he sank down into his big chair in the Madden TV room, his wife and sons, their spouses and his grandkids gathered around and watched the film. They had no idea that for most of them, it was the last time they'd share with their beloved patriarch.

The final, beautiful goodbye of NFL legend John Madden

• Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  2. g8rtrucker

g8rtrucker VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    what a great tribute to a terrific representative of how to do things the right way. We will all miss John Madden.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Was such a unique sports broadcaster. Loved his knowledge and passion.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. thatguy

thatguy Moderator

Oct 2, 2020
    Tallahassee
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. thatguy

thatguy Moderator

Oct 2, 2020
    Tallahassee
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  6. Gatorfred

Gatorfred GC Hall of Fame

Oct 15, 2012
    The last game the pair did together on CBS: During the last few minutes they were talking favorite nicknames. Summerall mentioned someone he knew while growing up in Lake City, Fl. A man that has a roadside vegetable stand. His nickname was Fishhook. Madden was beside himself laughing and kept asking Summerall if he was joking…

Fishhook was my Grandpa

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  7. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

They had fun just being themselves on TV. That enthusiasm was completely infectious. Loved their broadcasts.

8. thekentuckygator

thekentuckygator VIP Member

Oct 8, 2018
    Kentucky
    Madden was larger than life. He was football media. More than once I can remember switching games based on who the announcers were.

9. mkfgator

mkfgator VIP Member

Aug 28, 2019
    You get a giant turkey leg for the original post my friend

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  10. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    When I was a kid in the 70's and a Dolphin fan, or course I did not like the Raiders or Madden. As time went on he grew on me, particularly when became a broadcaster. Just seemed like a very genuine, down to earth guy. Like he would he great to share a beer with and shoot the crap with.

• Friendly Friendly x 1