Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Goodbye HBO

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gatorpika, Jul 10, 2018.

1. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    AT&T wants to overhaul HBO, says it isn’t profitable enough

I remember AT&T’s CEO talking about 10 minute GoT episodes for millennials with ADD on phones prior to the merger being done. It is an interesting question though of how you engage with media consumption changing. Not only for profiling, but in terms of diverting attention from alternate media platforms that may replace you. People used to be happy to all have cable and many subscribed to HBO as well because of the quality programming. But with people dumping cable and looking more at alternatives like Netflix and Youtube, eventually HBO is going to have to adapt to a streaming centric model. Ten minute videos on Youtube also seem to be the standard that people are gravitating to.

My concern though is that AT&T is a shitty company that knows nothing about the entertainment industry and will very likely screw up what makes HBO successful. If they cut funding for their flagship series, then HBO becomes another Cinemax and irrelevant. Maybe the creative team will migrate to Netflix or Amazon though and pick it up there?

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. finorman

finorman GC Legend

Jan 30, 2009
    Orlando
    Netflix is eating their lunch, with greater content, variety and a platform that appeals to a younger generation.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. SCGator52

SCGator52 GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007
    San Antonio, Tx
    100% agree with this. There’s also Amazon Prime originals they have to compete with. HBO isn’t close to what it once was and other than the free trials they offer I haven’t had it in years.

4. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    The problem for Netflix is that other content providers are pulling back their content from Netflix and trying to make a go with streaming services of their own. So eventually Disney and MGM and HBO will all be competing for subscription fees for their own original content rather than having Netflix curate content from several. That is why Netflix went heavy into producing their own content or partnering heavily with some European productions to build their own library. Disney announced like a year or two ago that it was pulling back all its content from Netflix to do their own streaming service.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    More skin... more skin... more skin. Female skin that is...

Lol, all kidding aside. I always thought that HBO was too 'boutique' to be a serious movie network.

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  6. gator7_5

gator7_5 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Never understood the draw to Netflix. You cant get any new release movies on it as far as I can tell. I got rid of it after I watched "The League". I do watch the hell out of HBO. They have the best movies and show (GoT). Between them and AMC, my entertainment television is filled.

This news sucks as ATT is the devil.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    Good business decision. You don't need quality to keep the masses entertained now.

I want a reality show where when you get eliminated from the competition, they bury your ass.

8. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    Like The Running Man?

9. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    Yeah, like that.

10. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I get HBO GO al a carte on my Apple TV for a month at a time a binge watch Got and West World when their seasons are near complete.

So I’m only paying for it 2 or 3 months a year.

We cut the cord and got subs to Netflix and Hulu, and have Amazon Prime, so their is pleanty to watch.

• Like Like x 1
  11. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    All about profitability I assume. Netflix growth in viewership and content is perhaps at higher pace? Perhaps it produces less expensive programming?

12. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Netflix actually produces far more original content than HBO at this point. They've actually passed HBO at their own game.

Game of Thrones is probably my favorite by a wide margin, but I can think of a bunch of recent Netflix shows before any other recent HBO show I cared about. Couldn't get into Westworld at all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    HBO usually only has one or two great shows out at a time, but they have made some of the great series. Sopranos, The Wire, GoT, Band of Brothers, John Adams, etc. Those are the ones I liked, but others have been decent too or just not my taste, but others loved them. They have a lot of good documentaries as well. Netflix is following a similar model with some very good series so hopefully they will step in if AT&T effs it all up.

14. gator_fever

gator_fever GC Hall of Fame

Nov 3, 2013
    I wonder what the big providers are going to do with so many people dropping cable etc. I thought they would have went to a system you could just pay for the individual channels you want which is around 12 for most people probably but they seem to be holding out on doing that. I guess they figure riding the people not leaving them is more money now than making that change and letting those channels hardly anyone watches just die out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    They will ride it as long as they can. There are still people that have landline phones despite the the telcos giving up on that product years ago. They still provide the service because there is a revenue stream. The content providers are going to have to change their business model to push towards an IP business like Netflix or what CBS is doing. At some point I think much of serial TV goes away to an on demand model other than news and sports. So channels can invest in fewer quality shows rather than a bunch of filler content to put something on the air all day. I guess the question is what the content of the future will look like though if they aren't tied to 30/60 minute slots. It could be shorter for the ADD millennial crowd or odd time frames based on however long they think someone would prefer to sit there watching the show. They could also push personalized commercials to the viewer since it's IP the way that Youtube does.

16. Gil_the_Gator

Gil_the_Gator Junior

Sep 9, 2014
    Alligator Underground
    Personally, I'd rather have quality shows over quantity. Netflix and Amazon have a zillion forgettable series (with a precious few hits here and there).

Most of the stuff HBO has produced in the past has been top-quality, with very few disappointments. Game of Thrones, Westworld, True Detective (ok, season two sucked, but the first season was amazing), The Night Of, The Leftovers, etc. are all recent examples of really great TV.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. grumpygator77

grumpygator77 GC Legend

Nov 26, 2017
    Totally agree. Every show that they produce is so well done; acting, sets, plot line, etc. If AT&T mucks this HBO thing up I'm gone. I only watch a few good shows on HBO and justify it because of the low cost. Take those out of the equation and I no longer will be a customer.

For me most of the "first run" movies that HBO airs are not my tastes anyway. So Hello AT&T, don't mess this HBO thing up or it will be goodbye HBO.

18. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
    You forgot Realsex. I raised 3 teenaged boys in the 90s and can't tell you how many times I heard that music coming from their rooms.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  19. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    This kind of reminds me of bricks and mortar retail versus internet shopping. It looks so poor but only because there is this other place to browse. Take away the B&M and see what people are willing to do for purchasing their things. HBO, etc, are in the business of signing big contracts to move a lot of stuff.

20. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    HBO was the 1st but Starz has better overall content. HBO has too many documentaries that I don't want to watch or pay for. These days there are too many other networks that provide good documentaries that are free. HBO won't be around much longer as another network like Showtime or Starz will buy them out. Maybe even Netflix.

• Informative Informative x 1