Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Golden Speaks

Discussion in 'Nuttin but Net' started by tampajack1, May 28, 2022.

1. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    The shot pass is very effective if you are a Larry Bird, Pistol Pete, Magic Johnson or other players at that skill level. For lesser players it is often a turnover. That is especially true if your teammates are not expecting it. I was not a point guard, but quite often I initiated plays from the top of the key. I had to stop making no look passes to open teammates because too often they bounced off my teammates and they were mad at me.

2. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Three. Bird, Pete, and my own self.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  3. GatorPlanet

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Your teammates didn't deserve you. It's their fault if they aren't ready.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. gatorific

gatorific VIP Member

Apr 20, 2010
    What’s a shot-pass?
    Oops just saw the answer

and I agree - Coach White ruined Hudson, and to a lesser extent, Allen

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    There is no good reason to outlaw the shot pass as a general rule. Maybe if a certain player has an issue with improper use or overuse, perhaps I could understand that. But to forbid it outright seems silly.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  6. smikemac

smikemac VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    The previous UF staff certainly emphasized daily the importance of playing off two feet. All coaches do. Are there players who can leave the floor and find an open man? Sure, but it takes a special combination of athleticism and vision the likes of which the Gators have mostly lacked. Example: Anyone recall the disastrous Chiozza jump-pass turnover that lost an overtime game at South Carolina? Point being, it’s a tough ask for even an elite passer.

And as far Jalen and KeVaughn, they didn’t exactly help themselves with regard to being in the gym (extra, on their own or with a coach) and working on their individual games. That’s part of developmental too.

• Like Like x 1
  7. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Difference is playing in control versus out of control. You don’t leave your feet if you don’t have the court vision to understand where the pass would go if the shot is not there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. GatorPlanet

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Agreed, you need to know what you're going to do before you leave your feet.

9. gatorstrackman

gatorstrackman GC Legend

Nov 24, 2021
    Sentence 1) well, of course. My post man and I knew what was coming (deception of a jump shot) and would let himself get boxed out & wide open in the hands “shot-pass” ( the most accurate pass imo) he could do a 180 jump hook either way , unstoppable. Thus the playing “in control. This is high level college ball....an easy play and an easy 2 points a few times/game. It’s s mental game
    Sentence 2) Naturally. By the time you get to college you’ve mostly had the bad habits drilled out of you. Billy D. liked shot-passes btw. Taught them at his summer B-ball Camps especially on fast breaks.

10. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    That's what she said.

11. g8wayg8r

g8wayg8r GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    St Charles, MO
    And there's a rule to discourage that.

12. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    I think it’s generally a good idea, but it’s not realistic to be a hard rule. A lot if the great plays you see are are improvised after a player leaves their feet.

13. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    I thought the "Apple" had a problem doing this, he would dribble deep in the lane, leave his feet and...........turnover..........

14. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    He did make some hellaciously good passes as he was falling out of bounds on the baseline.

• Creative Creative x 1
  15. audiogatorjim

audiogatorjim GC Hall of Fame

Mar 15, 2009
    I think if a player had a penchant for a shot pass, I would discourage it if I was the coach. It’s a bad habit to leave your feet with no options, turnovers are common. You learn this in junior high ball. However, I don’t recall Hudson doing this much, he was a savvy, smart player with a beautiful jump shot. Surely, something got in his head and it was such a disappointment for the team but mostly for him.

16. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Among other things, Hudson was forced into a one-on-one type of game under White and the degree of difficulty of his shots went up quite a bit. Same thing with Allen.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    And you have to know what the other team will do before you leave your feet.

When playing at an elite level only a very few players can pull this off. I think that we named most of them.

At the typical high school level lots of guys think they can pull it off.

18. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

That was his way of saying he inherited a mismanaged program. When you have twenty operational tree cutting machines, but have cut only three trees down at the end of a day’s work, you are making a colossal waste of resources.

Such was Florida basketball over the last seven years.

• Like Like x 1
  19. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

The biggest problems with our shooters and scorers over the last seven years is that they were forced to play out of position of defense.

When you are exerting too much energy defending someone 3-5 inches taller than you for significant minutes, it takes its toll on you offensively.

Smaller teams can prevail over larger teams when they have mesmerizing shooters (Curry) and at least one all world defender (Green). Florida has not had either in seven years.

Reeves is an exception because he has the offensive skill set and length. So he will not be playing out of position on defense. No one can tell me that Hudson was the same size as Reeves. Reeves has a much longer arm span,