Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Golden Post Game comments: Kennesaw

Discussion in 'Nuttin but Net' started by akaGatorhoops, Nov 11, 2022.

1. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops GC Columnist VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Typing as I listen….

We played well.. but couldn’t extend the lead. They hit some big shots to keep it around 10. We played with purpose offensively… we pounded it inside. We didn’t play as good defensively or on the glass.

We felt we had advantage inside and CC did good job proving that with his career high. We didn’t think they had enough rim protection, and so we didn’t want to settle.

riley and Alex are very good players…. could be starters - so when they come in we expect to keep or extend our level… they will be good over year.

What happened with Kyle wasn’t great. I give credit Myreon coming in and handling. We doubled down on getting it to Collin.

I’m proud of Kowacie…. He wasn’t amazing in first half but good bounce back.. i think maybe 9 of his 11 points were in the second half. He was a big part of group that extended the lead. He hit a big corner theee. Happy he played so well.

We felt if we limit their 3s it would be hard for them to make enough 2s to keep up. And so we were stretched out a bit defensively. Out middle ball screen coverage was not good. And gave up straight line drives too much.

we will watch film and good recovery lift. And a scout on Sunday for fau.

• Like Like x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 3
  2. bigDgator

bigDgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    What happened with Kyle? I couldn’t watch.

Also thank you for transcribing.

3. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    Fouled out early. Got a technical for mouthing off.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Ahhh . . . this must have been early/mid second half. Our internet went out during that period and I had to reset it. Missed a few mins there. I know he got two early fouls in the first half and had to sit out. Guess the T must have done 'im in.

5. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    On one hand, there's plenty to be concerned about from this game. The defense gave up too many wide open back door cuts/dunks/shots. On the other hand, our veteran players were the difference, giving the team a sense of identity. Richard appears to be solid and Kugel will be a stud. This team will be fun. Also - just imagine if CC didn't come back :eek:.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    Yea they were all ticky tacky so I get the frustration.

7. chiozzatrask

chiozzatrask Sophomore

Dec 13, 2020
    ASUN is having a moment thus far thru the season lol Kennesaw St is a quality lower major team. They played with an intensity & aggression tonight that I feel like the Gators failed to match at times -- a game that fit exactly to Lanes play style but he logged 0 minutes. Overall great learning experience, the squad only has to go up from here

• Agree Agree x 7
  8. BTEGator

BTEGator GC Hall of Fame

May 24, 2007
    Anyone know what's up with Lane not getting any PT tonight?

9. Ahab

Ahab GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Or why Bonham only got 3 minutes when Lofton fouled out?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    I was thinking coach wanted to give Jones a run to see how he'd do.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    I would have liked to see Lane put on Youngblood when he was feeling it there in the second half.

• Agree Agree x 6
  12. g8wayg8r

g8wayg8r GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    St Charles, MO
    I don't believe Golden has the loose leash Napier has with development so there may not be much churn in game time line up. Gotta get the W.

13. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Bonham had a rough go of it early on when Lofton went out with fouls. Bonham turned it over a couple times and just didn't look ready and Kennesaw St has a couple quality guards.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. rserina

rserina GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Ringwood, NJ
    I thought we might see Lane in that second half to bring some defensive rebounding, but who do you replace? Reeves was rebounding well and finally hit some second half shots. Richard was very effective again offensively. Kugel needs the minutes because he has the chance to explode.

Plus, when you are not getting a ton of open looks from the arc, you can’t afford to have a complete non-shooter there at the two like Lane.

15. oneatatime

oneatatime GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Like last season, we don't look like a great 3 point shooting team

Unlike last season, 4-11 looks a lot better than 5-25, which frustrated the hell out of me under White.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    That was surprising. I think maybe defense?

17. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    I didn't think of that, but it's a great suggestion.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  18. GatorMcCluskey

GatorMcCluskey GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    yeah, I was at the game last night and Trey seemed unprepared for the energy and aggression Kennesaw was bringing defensively. MJ was a little steadier with the ball in his hands. I was in the bathroom when Lofton got his tech and didn't see it, but prior to that I thought he was doing a solid job of running the team - very smooth off the dribble and plays under control for the most part.

the Owls were in our guys' face on defense all night out on the perimeter, breaking up our sets and getting their hands on the ball a lot. Credit to them for making it a tough game, but they couldn't handle CC at all inside and that was the difference.

it'll be interesting to see whether this was a one-off with UF kind of not getting up to full intensity for an early season game, or if it's an indicator that this Gator squad is going to have some trouble with more physical defensive teams. I thought we adjusted offensively in the second half and moved the ball quicker to get better looks, but Kennesaw stayed very composed and just kept hitting some big shots on their end to keep it close.

Kugel looks good though, kid has that real smooth super athletic ability where it doesn't look like he's trying that hard but will all of a sudden be past his man and flying up above the rim. If he develops as a shooter he'll be an absolute stud.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    Well, the guy who got the minutes didn't have a stellar defensive performance either....

20. BTEGator

BTEGator GC Hall of Fame

May 24, 2007
    Funny...that's the first thing I thought of when Youngblood started lighting it up.

I'm a Lane fan....but appears he may be the odd man out when Golden Todd shortens the bench.