Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Going to be dramatic for a second: Miami is a measure of our program

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by GatorHighlights, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Naplesgator100

Naplesgator100 Senior

Apr 3, 2007
    Wow, lots of GC Legends responding here.

It is a pretty reasonable measure of our team, as much as any first game can be. We should beat them soundly. If we don’t, it probably means we’re not as good as we think we are.

As I have said before, CFB is very much about confidence and emotion. Rivalry games always bring out strong emotions, possibly more in the underdogs, but should be high in both teams. First games are rarely trap games, though they have happened.

But I think we all would agree that we are MUCH more confident than UM at this point. You can bravado your way through a couple quarters...maybe, but when things start to go south on one or both sides of the ball, there’s nothing to fall back on. All the emotion in the world won’t save you then.

If we put up points in 2 of our first 3 drives, they’ll fold like a cheap suit.

I also believe strongly that the mark of a good coach is getting your team to beat the teams you’re supposed to. Easier said than done, especially in the SEC. But, I think we have our man in CDM.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Ok - a measure of where we are at the moment, perhaps. But the thread supposition was more broad: Measure of the program. My thought is that it's only a measure of how these two teams perform in this particular moment. It's possible that the outcome be highly indicative of how each team will perform the rest of the season. It's also possible that it's only indicative of how one or neither of the teams will perform the rest of the season. This is only one game and it's so early, with some players suspended, etc. that the other season's outcomes will still be in question regardless of the nature of this performance.
    Disappointed, but it really depends upon how the game looks.
    You are cheating. I didn't write "not a measure more than any other game." Read it again. ;)
    And now, let me ask you a question.

Let's say we win 41-7. Will that give you valid reason to think we can whip Uk, UT, LSU, Auburn, and UGA? Or might the euphoria wear off just a bit heading into say, a game against another top ten team?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  3. rmonteag

rmonteag All American

Jul 24, 2010
    This makes no sense!

4. coach

coach GC Hall of Fame

Dec 5, 2008
    Boca Raton
    Probably because your brain dead and think miami will beat us.

5. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    CANES

21. MIAMI JR. OL NAVAUGHN DONALDSON
    Donaldson is a big road grader that has been starting for the Hurricanes ever since his freshman season. At 6-feet-6 and 330 pounds, Donaldson can lean on a defensive line during the course of a game and create some running lanes for the backs to get through.
    Donaldson has the ability to be a NFL level guard once his time at the college level is wrapped up.

22. MIAMI SOPH. OL D.J. SCAIFE
    You won’t find many guards that bring the type of athleticism that Scaife brings to the position. Scaife played right tackle for the Hurricanes in 2018 as a true freshman and while he flashed some talent there, his natural position and highest upside position is at guard. New offensive line coach Butch Barry has moved Scaife inside and is pleased with the way he has looked on the interior thus far. Scaife has the ability to handle any athletic defensive tackle that he will line up against during the regular season schedule.

50. MIAMI SOPH. OL COREY GAYNOR
    Gaynor has emerged as an important leader on the offensive side of the ball at center. He’s known around UM circles as a lineman that plays with a nasty edge and competitiveness. Gaynor played in 33 snaps against Wisconsin in last year’s New Era Pinstripe Bowl and according to Pro Football Focus he allowed just one quarterback pressure in that game. Many around the UM program believe Gaynor has a chance to end the year on one of the All-ACC teams at center.

GATORS

39. FLORIDA JR. OL BRETT HEGGIE
    Heggie has a real chance to be the best of the linemen on the 2019 offensive line. As a redshirt freshman, he earned SEC Lineman of the Week honors and was consistently the best lineman on the 2017 roster before a severe knee injury took him out of commission. Heggie has battled injuries during his playing career, but he appears to be fully healthy going into this 2019 campaign and projects as an impactful guard for the Gators.

42. FLORIDA SR. OL NICK BUCHANAN

Buchanan, a center, is the only returning starter from last year’s offensive line. Buchanan played in 786 snaps last year and was credited with allowing just one sack for the season, according to Pro Football Focus. He allowed 11 pressures on 375 pass blocking snaps. Buchanan will be counted on to be the veteran leader of UF’s offensive line this year.

Ranking the top 50 players in the Miami-Florida game

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    SEE MY POST ABOVE

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010
    I try to every day :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Legend

Dec 12, 2008
    You can't paper over the nonexistence of viable OT for Miami by stating the subjective ranking of some OG for Miami. Those OG are not talented enough to allow Miami to run the ball every play.

9. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Legend

Jul 27, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010
    It's something but I'm not taking that as the gospel in anyway... Given his production I'm a little skeptical of a list that has TJ Slaton in the top 50 players. and Kyle Pitts at 26? While I'm high on him he has 3 total catches, so not sure how he can be ranked so high or even ahead of someone like Krull

11. WhattaGator

WhattaGator Ever Vigilant Psycho Mod Moderator VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

Agreed....

You can definitely see the Miami "homerism" in his descriptions of the Miami players.

12. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Don't think so.
    This article was on Florida247Sports and it wasn't just a 'Cane thing'.

Here is a ranking of our Top Offensive players by 247 Sports.
    You won't find our OL players ranked very high..if at all.

83.6 - Lamical Perine
    83.4 - Kadarius Toney
    74.4 - Josh Hammond
    72.9 - Trevon Grimes
    72.4 - Dameon Pierce
    70.8 - Freddie Swain
    67.6 - Feleipe Franks
    67.1 - Van Jefferson
    58.6 - Tyrie Cleveland
    58.1 - Brett Heggie

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  13. bike1014

bike1014 GC Legend

Jan 9, 2010
    That's a laughable list. Not being a homer here, I just don't agree with it. And as someone living in Miami (go ahead, I can take it, lol), I know the Miami roster very well.

Anyways, none of this matters (just fun to discuss it!) now...It's game week!!

14. DBCooper

DBCooper GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Hendersonville, NC
    We have 12 opportunities to measure progress. Beating UK, UT, AU, LSU, USCe, MO and UGA are all bigger wins than UM in my mind. Thank goodness the games are about to begin.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    From someone who is not as familiar with the Miami roster,
    who are those 3 freshmen OL starters not shown here?

• Like Like x 1
  16. WhattaGator

Umm....

Look at the article again...
    It's 247Spots..... BUT it's... "InsideTheU"...... NOT "Florida247Sports"
    It's a cane-based article, which shows in the aforementioned "homerism"

• Like Like x 2
  17. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Three of the Top 5 (and eight of the Top 14) are Gators.
    Certainly doesn't sound like an 'unrealistic Homer'.
    One thing is absolutely true....CJ Henderson is regarded as the best player on the field.
    (Even though 247 rated Brad Stewart slightly higher ;))

CB: CJ Henderson, Florida
    Like most great defensive backs, Henderson dares opposing quarterbacks to come after him, and most choose not to. The 6-foot-1, 202-pound junior has the size, speed and instincts everyone's looking for in a cornerback. The ultra-competitive Henderson will wear No. 1 for the Gators this season, which is appropriate. That's where he ranks among cornerbacks in college football.

The 2019 ESPN preseason All-America team

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. WhattaGator

Why don't you try hitting your own link????
    Then tell me what 247 site it is..

My point is that the descriptions of the Miami players are embellished, while the Gator players, although ranked, the descriptions rr, well... generic.

19. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I understand...but only because the same article on Florida247Sports was no longer available.
    It wasn't written like a Cane-slanted article when I first read it.
    Where exactly would you rank Donaldson, Scaife and Gaynor?

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    It's a measure of our program for most of the country because it's the only game to watch this Saturday and the only game to talk about through the week. I think we win big. It won't be a knock out punch but a gradual dismantling that could turn into a blowout by the third quarter. They'll give us trouble up front but will struggle to move the ball and will begin to make mistakes on offense as UF continues to light up the scoreboard. UF's offense will make some mistakes as well but our defense will make UF look like a BCS contender.

• Agree Agree x 1