Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

GM Offers Buyouts to 18,000 Workers, Months After Warning About Layoffs Over Trump's Tariffs

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Rocinante, Oct 31, 2018.

1. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    I was part of the team that built the village at Haile when it first started in the mid 90's. Great idea but the economics for certain classes of commercial just don't work. And then most people drove there anyway

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    The "urban village" concept works just fine where there is demonstrable and measurable market demand, and the community is open to accept them. They're not for everyone, and they're not for everywhere. I've worked in, around and along with a few hundred over the decades throughout Central Florida from Tampa to Daytona to Wildwood and to a lesser degree Marion and Alachua Counties. The successful ones have done very well, and the failures almost without exception were doomed from the beginning as the developers either failed to use upfront due diligence, or, as in many cases including mid-rise beach condos, were covers for fraud and money laundering. I know this because I have personally witnessed the files.

If we let the professionals do their upfront diligence free from pressure and threats by developers to rubber stamp their pet projects or money laundering machines, the market will speak as to whether the project is a success or failure. It is a bit more complicated that that, of course, but market demand is usually the driving factor.