Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Glover Redux

Discussion in 'Nuttin but Net' started by tampajack1, Jul 23, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Why my obsession with Ques Glover, if you want to call it that? IMO, the kid was the most exciting guard that was signed by the Gators since Jason Williams and Teddy Dupay. He also is a terrific player. He is a great athlete. He can windmill dunk from a standing position, he is lightning quick, and he is physically strong. He also is a winner. I saw him play on TV twice in his senior year in high school. First, I saw his school, Bearden, play against Mountain Brook, which was one of the top 5 high school teams in the country. Mountain Brook was led by Trendon Watford who went to LSU, plays for the Portland Trailblazers and was just named MVP of the NBA Summer League championship game. Bearden lost in the last few seconds of the game, but Glover was the best player on the floor and scored 28 points. Then I saw Glover play in the Tennessee state championship game against Memphis East, which was led by James Wiseman, the #1 high school player in the country and now playing for Golden State. Once again, Glover was the best player on the floor, carrying Bearden to the state title and being named the MVP of the tournament. So, I was really excited about this kid becoming a Gator. I expected him to be the backup to Nembhard at the point and eventually becoming the Gators' starting point guard. It didn't happen. Even when Ques got into the game in his freshman year, it usually was not at the point. Rinse and repeat in year 2 but far worse. Ques rarely played at the point which was manned by Appleby and Mann who, IMO, were both 2-guards.

Glover then transferred to Samford to play for Bucky McMillan, the former Mountain Brook coach. After a slow start to Samford's season, Glover carried the team to, arguably, the best season in its history, and this was without any legitimate Power 6 level players on the team other than Glover. Ques was named 1st-team All-Southern Conference, and he had one of the best years of any point guard in the country. Many of you say that he's just a mid-major player, but he had his best games against the best teams on Samford's schedule, including against Ole Miss on the road, San Francisco, Chattanooga, Furman, Wofford, Belmont and Oregon State on the road. In doing so, he outplayed point guards such as Malachi Smith (the likely starting PG at Gonzaga next year), Jamaree Bouyea at San Francisco and Daeshun Ruffin at Ole Miss. Additionally, Glover was the model of consistency, scoring in double figures in every game and consistently taking over games at crunch time. On top of that, he was an outstanding leader on the floor and got everyone involved in the game.

So, how did he compare last season to our 2 new point guards?

On a per-40 minute basis: Glover averaged 24.7 ppg and 5.7 apg and shot 79% from the line, 47% from the field, 52% from 2 and 31% from 3; Bonham averaged 19.9 ppg and 5.8 apg and shot 83% from the line, 48% from the field, 54% from 2 and 35% from 3; and Lofton averaged 13.3 ppg and 6.1 apg and shot 82% from the line, 40% from the field, 45% from 2 and 28% from 3.

As to how their respective teams did, St. Bonaventure had the toughest schedule of the 3 teams followed by Samford and then VMI. The Bonnies went 23-10 and finished 4th in their conference. Lofton got to play with 4 other players who were Power-6 level players. Lofton made 3rd team all-league and 2 of his teammates made 1st and 2nd team respectively. VMI went 16-16 and finished 5th in the conference. Bonham made 3rd-team all league, his teammate, Jake Stephens, was 1st-team all league center, and another teammate made 2nd team all league. One other teammate made the all-freshman team. Samford went 21-11 and finished 3rd in the league. Glover made 1st-team all league, but no other players on his team received any all league honors. I expect both Lofton and Bonner to succeed at UF and am sure that Glover would have if he had been given the opportunity.

So, again, why my obsession; first, I am royally pissed off that we lost this kid right after losing Nembhard. What an enormous waste of talent. Second, so many of you, including many regarded as our best posters, constantly put this kid down, whether it was that he didn't get other Power-6 offers, his game would not transition to the Power-6 level, he was a walking turnover, he is now only succeeding because his team plays a weak schedule, etc. The truth is, IMO, that this kid is a winner. He can play for any college team, but he was played out of position at UF when he got to play and his confidence was destroyed by a coach who would yank him out of the game as soon as he made a mistake. Mistakes are teaching moments for young players. When you get trapped in the corner by a couple of bigger guys and turn the ball over, it's fine to pull the kid, let him know how not to get trapped in the corners, and then put him back into the game. That's coaching or, in the instant case, a lack thereof. Ques doesn't turn the ball over much anymore and the ball is in his hands a lot. He has a ton of confidence. He wants the ball in his hands at crunch time, and he usually delivers. The kid even declared for the NBA after this past season. That's confidence. I expect he and Sanford to do some big things this coming season.

I will not be replying to any comments. I will be back to report on Ques during the coming season. Thanks.

• Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
  2. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Good god man, let it go.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops GC Columnist VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    “…many of you, including many regarded as our best posters, constantly put this kid down, whether it was that he didn't get other Power-6 offers, his game would not transition to the Power-6 level, he was a walking turnover, he is now only succeeding because his team plays a weak schedule, etc.”

You perceive people disagreeing with your opinion of Glover as “putting the kid down”.
    I am among those who was very excited about Ques, and rooted like heck for his success. I loved how hard he played, and the fearlessness you mentioned.
    But he very often played poorly. . . too poorly to warrant additional time on the court. Is it possible he might have benefitted from a longer leash, or different coach? Perhaps.
    But that doesn’t change one irrefutable fact: He had one tenure in the Power 6, and it was unsuccessful. And for all his fearlessness and despite declaring for the draft… he was either denied opportunity or chose to play at a lower level. if the former… your contention is you know more that virtually every other coach in the country. In fact, the ONLY coach you would have commonality with is the lone one who provided a chance …. Mike White.
    And if Ques had a opportunity, but opted for Samford… why? That decision certainly wouldn’t be in keeping with the confidence we both admire.
    I am very happy Ques is doing so well at Samford. But you are the same guy who made extrapolations about Gak’s success at California Baptist.
    Glover is likely doing well for a few reasons…. more suitable level of competition, greater playing opportunity and improved play/ability. But none of this leads me to an analysis similar to yours. Ultimately, I’d love for you to be proven correct… is that would mean wonderful things for Ques. But you seem to be under the misguided notion that his play at Samford has already made your point. I’d argue to the contrary… his success at Samford suggests he is at the right place. And I wish him the best!
    I’ll be rooting!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  4. BA69MA72

BA69MA72 GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007
    I saw most of his home games in person and saw most of his away games on TV, which I discount because what I saw on the tube was what the director showed me.

In watching college hoops in person for more than 60 years at the mid-major and high major level I’ve found that even with freshmen who aren’t ready to start one can see the skills that would lead to a starter role. Mr. Glover didn’t demonstrate that potential. When he played he was intent on driving to the basket, regardless of the defensive situation, often leading to a non-score or turnover. He didn’t seem to involve his teammates very much. He wasn’t pulled immediately after a mistake, he was pulled after unproductive time on the court.

Happily he has found success at a level of basketball suitable to his abilities. Nothing I saw in person showed he had the capacity to perform a full season at a starting level in the SEC

• Informative Informative x 2
  5. 108

108 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    NYC
    I stopped at “obsession”.

Regardless how justified you think it is, it is an actual obsession, and the long form essay speaks to it..

I wish him the best, but there is not even a minute “what if” in my mind with Quez Glover.

6. gatorntuscaloosa

gatorntuscaloosa VIP Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Hope the young man balls out and gets a shot at money. But it’s all water under the bridge for the gators. CTG is in the house now and it’s time to ‘press’ forward.

7. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    • Funny Funny x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.