Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Glove Prep

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by Noah_Brindise, Sep 10, 2023.

1. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Completely agree. It’s just not coaching hitters either when you’re preaching launch angles and exit velo…….
    There used to be a drill used by every coach out there for driving the baseball—it was called “trigger-stride-swing” to get everything going in the right direction “on time”.

• Like Like x 1
  2. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Best advice for hitting was from Wee Willie Keeler: Hit it where they aint.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
  4. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Back in my day it was the Charlie Lau school of getting on top of the ball with a level swing to hit line drives. Now it is all about an upward swing to get launch angles for dingers.

Guess what.

Only a few make the Show hitting dingers. Everybody else gets a paycheck hitting line drives.

Some even make the show by hitting behind runners.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2023
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Apparently before we signed the deal with Wilson (in 2019, previous deal was with Easton) some of the infielders in particular would use Rawlings or Wilson gloves and black out the manufacturer with a sharpie. My understanding is the kids seemingly all prefer those A2000s.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Read this thread from the beginning. Fun stuff.

Nobody mentioned putting your new glove with a baseball in it under your pillow when you went to sleep. Kids don't do that anymore?

I bet @74nole and @wingtee did that. We all did back then. At least they did where I lived and played.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. TheBoss

TheBoss Premium Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Gainesville
    You inspired me to look back at the thread, too. I especially liked the Nellie Fox, Joe Morgan references to their prefgerence for small gloves. My kid played a lot of 2B for youth teams and I bought him a nice little Mizuno. I coached little guys- up to age 13- and tried to convince the infielders to catch grounders against the glove rather than fully in the pocket, which risked trouble digging the ball out of the pocket. Sadly, that was more boring and less cool. As he got older, my kid ended up in CF with a big old A2000 (he was adopted, a good athlete who didn't inherit my tendency to run too many steps in one place).

Last edited: Jan 5, 2024
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Lurk—

We would also cut the “band” off of the bottom of an old t-shirt and tie it around the glove with the ball in it when we got outta bed to keep it like we wanted while we were at school.