Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Global cooling leads to Eagle flying off with family's pet dog

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gator_fever, Jan 4, 2018.

1. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    It's been a horrible winter in Colo. Worst in my 16 winters here. Skiing conditions are pitiful. It rained here yesterday. Usually warmer temps lead to (cruddier) heavier snows, but it's been warm & dry.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. lacuna

lacuna The Conscience of Too Hot VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville
    We were in Grand Junction for 10 days over the holidays and it was colder in Gainesville than it was on the western slopes of Colorado. Rethinking where we will possibly relocate later this year... Thinking a primary residence in Colorado for 7 or 8 months of the year, with a smaller place in the hill country west of Austin during the coldest 4 or 5 months.

3. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    I guess you know Colo winters. But, I was shocked at how comfortable 25 degrees could feel in the intense Colo sun. Winter is my fav season. I guess what I am saying is I love CO year round. I guess you'd want to be close to Grand Junction. Otherwise, for year round living you could locate near hot springs. I don't know of any around Grand Junction. Orvis down in Ridgeway are some of my fav.

Hill country is under rated (I lived in yucky E. Texas for 6 years, but headed west as much as possible). I camped several times at enchanted rock & at a place called lost Maples. I remember lots of ticks.

[​IMG]

4. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    We don't have a lot of sunshine here when it's cold, but I've found that windy days are the worse. If it's still outside, and I'm dressed right, the cold doesn't bother me too much. When it's windy though it seems like a constant battle between your clothes trying to keep you warm and the wind trying to steal that warmth away.

5. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    Where I live it can be really windy at times. & there can be 24 to 48 hour periods of roaring winds. One year it picked up a heavy glass table on my deck & slammed it down on the railing shattering it. We have a big closet in the basement with a window. I noticed last night that my yard waste can got blown into the window well, breaking the window. Some mornings, I'll find 25 or so tumbleweeds* up against the fence.**Up the road in Laramie it is brutal. I don't know how people live there. It's almost always windy. When my son was young, we were heading into the medicine bow mts. w. of Laramie & I had to hold him by the collar while he peed. In damn near the same spot I got caught in a horrible ground blizzard.

* sadly the iconic nomadic weeds associated with the West are invasive from China.

**don't burn them. There's a great scene in a Thomas McGaune book where a guy lights em on fire to get rid of them. The wind kicks back up &......

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  6. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    That reminds me of little Centennial Wyo. the last town before heading into the medicine bow. Too small to have a cop & tired of folks speeding through their little town, they got an old junker cop car & parked on the side of the road to slow folks down.

btw, The medicine bows to the w. of Laramie are Americas best kept secret. Amazing alpine hikes, camping & great trout fishing. The same stuff in CO is cheek to jowl. think about it. have you ever known anyone to purposely go to S. wyo?

Shhhh.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    Last time we drove across the country we saw tumble weeds blowing across the Interstate in either Colorado or Utah. I got all excited like a little kid.

8. demosthenes

demosthenes Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    One of my brothers and I have. And we were (unintentionally) shot at by a bunch of high schoolers. Spent time up there when I lived in Steamboat too.

9. demosthenes

Apr 3, 2007
    Where docspor lives the wind literally blows semi trailers on their sides. The wind in Wyoming is worse but I-80 generally moves with or against it (just watch your doors when you open them). I-25 in southern Wyoming and northern Colorado gets some crazy cross winds though.

10. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    I camped at Hahn's Peak Lake this summer. It's funny. I was looking on the map b/c I could not remember the name & low & behold that peak that looks just like a breast is in fact called Nipple peak. Ever hiked in to Strawberry? I saw the trail head on that road N. of Steamboat. Sounds kinda cool.

11. demosthenes

Apr 3, 2007
    It’s cool. Never been after dark.

Most of the time I was just lazy and went to the Old Town Hot Springs right in town. It was about three blocks from my office.

I almost built a house up near Hahn’s Peak Lake. Would have been around Steamboat Lake but same general area.