Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Giants waive Janoris....

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Onewolf, Dec 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    I have a feeling this thread is going to have a better home in Too Hot. Don't mean to send it that way, but there are some important considerations here. I've gone round and round with one or two posters (including @mdfgator) about the offensive nature of the word "retard." Some will not agree and that's ok, but if you have any personal or professional relationship with people who possess intellectual disabilities, you understand that words matter. I'll do my best to leave it at that.

And that said, I think it's quite unfortunate that JJ was fired subsequent to this particular tweet. The tweet itself is not anywhere near a fireable offense for an NFL player, imo. Unfortunately, he couldn't wipe the stupid away enough to recover, respond appropriately, and maybe even learn something. Actually, he responded in a way that suggests he's incapable of learning this particular important social lesson. Too bad that he's paying a steep price for that.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  2. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I’ll play along. What do you think he meant by “my culture”?

3. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    So what do y’all social justice warriors suggest we call idiots that act retarded? Remedial? Special? Slow? Can’t Get Right?

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. SuperMOM

SuperMOM All American

Jan 31, 2016
    Did Janoris a favor - now he'll land with a playoff team.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. g8rnc

g8rnc All American

May 13, 2015
    Seriously. This whole thing is retarded. Why have people become so offended all the time.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Why the need for name-calling? Must one be a SJW to be informed on this particular topic? My friendly suggestion is that you take just a few moments to read about the offensive nature of the term.
    Here's an offensive word we should retire right now
    This from the Special Olympics:
    Spread the word to end the word | Special Olympics Northern California

As to your question, why not embody a similar mentality to that required for use on this message board: No name-calling. Perhaps engage those we disagree with in dialogue, or if pejorative is necessary, maybe be clever; not bluntly offensive.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. anstro76

anstro76 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 14, 2008
    St.Petersburg
    You answered your own question. Retard and retarded are very offensive and hurtful for those with special needs, their loved ones, and those who work as caregivers and advocates.

• Winner Winner x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.