Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

getting put under the bus

Discussion in 'Alligator Alley (other sports)' started by BigIgator25, Jun 1, 2020.

1. BigIgator25

BigIgator25 Premium Member

Oct 6, 2012
    charlotte
    there was always rumors out there about the program during this time frame...

upload_2020-6-1_15-26-10.png

2. jaxg8r

jaxg8r VIP Member

Jan 21, 2008
    So all the post meet press conferences during her years at UF when KB said what a great group of girls she was part of was BS? How her teammates and coaches always had her back. Then who is "they"?

Life is about choices. Never compromise your values. I walked away from my first good paying job rather than be the fall guy for a mistake my boss had made.

The victim culture in this country has become so pervasive, and goes totally unchallenged.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    If something happened to her that’s terrible and I hope she was listened to, but good god I hate twitter. No context, no nuanced conversation, just as much rage as people can squeeze into a few characters.
    Now this will be the story - we don’t know if it was one incident with a sincere apology or 100 bad unresolved ones, whether she views her UF time positively, whether anyone was disciplined, whether it was an ashamed or vindictive teammate who asked her not to say anything or the staff, on and on. Just “racist” will stick.
    If I ever get hella rich I will buy twitter just to shut it down.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. BigIgator25

Oct 6, 2012
    charlotte
    Actually this falls in line with what I have heard for years and people were happy when Rhona was gone, she was a great "coach" but the culture within the program was not the best. Alot of young people dont know what to do or how to handle things. Hell 20 years later people are talking about being molested. It is not that simple and dont make it seem that simple. I for one absolutely believe that she had some issues with coaches and other gymnasts within that time frame.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. BigIgator25

Oct 6, 2012
    charlotte
    all social media sucks when it comes to conversation like this, not just twitter

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
  7. jaxg8r

jaxg8r VIP Member

Jan 21, 2008
    Assuming KB wasn't physically threatened. Equating getting your feelings hurt and getting molested is a stretch. Such is the world we live in. We've devalued legitimate evil.

8. Trickster

Trickster Premium Member

Sep 20, 2014
    I don't follow. She said she was called racist names. Is that a "hurt feeling" she should just get over, in your opinionn? Is that something a head coach should tolerate and sweep under the rug? But hey, I don't know who she is or if what she says is even true.

9. jaxg8r

jaxg8r VIP Member

Jan 21, 2008
    Lots of irony in the Kierkegard quote. By your own admission, claims with zero detail have been accepted as fact.

10. gatorbogey

gatorbogey GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    I don’t even know what constitutes a racist comment anymore. We are in an era now where not kneeling during the national anthem can be considered “racist” by some people!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. GatorGirl15

GatorGirl15 Junior

Oct 10, 2008
    All I know is I love our coach Jenny Rowland after seeing how she’s handled everything.

12. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Yeah the vibe I get in reading around was that this isn’t a a Jenny R problem, but may have carried over in her early years before she helped clean it up. Or the problem kids were gone.

but some really nice tweets anyway.

• Like Like x 4
  13. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Former Florida gymnast speaks on racism during tenure
    River Wells, Sports Writer Alligator
    A former UF gymnast spoke out about her experiences with racism during her tenure on the UF gymnastics team on Friday.

Kytra Hunter, who competed as a member of the Gators gym team from 2012-15, wrote on Twitter that she experienced racism from her own teammates. She accused them of using racial slurs and referring to black stereotypes in conversation with her.

“Hearing and reliving those comments ties knots in my stomach,” Hunter wrote.

Hunter’s statement came after another former gymnast, Kennedy Baker, wrote on Twitter June 1 that her teammates called her racist names and asked for her silence.

According to Hunter, then-coach Rhonda Faehn called a team meeting during Hunter’s senior year after her complaints had fallen on “deaf ears.” Hunter said in her post that her teammates did not take the meeting seriously, however, and that very little had changed even after the meeting.

“The racial slurs did not stop,” she wrote. “I couldn’t understand why their inexcusable behavior was okay.”

Hunter’s mother, Kim Esprit, wrote on Facebook that Hunter had requested to transfer because she felt uncomfortable at UF.
    Former Florida gymnast speaks on racism during tenure

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  14. BigIgator25

Oct 6, 2012
    charlotte
    no this all was under Rhonda, she was a heck of a coach, but as a person..a lot left to be desired.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. gatorbogey

gatorbogey GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    I always wonder why/how “stereotypes“ get conflated to “racism“. It really does seem a statue of, say, Mel Brooks would get toppled for Blazing Saddles.

• Funny Funny x 1