Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Gervon Dexter

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by candymanfromgc, Aug 28, 2019.

1. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    I think people put WAY too much emphasis on the star ratings of individual players. They're somewhat helpful but not very accurate on an individual basis. But I do think as an overall rating for a class, they're pretty good.

I also don't think the recruiting services are biased. I just think they do the best they can with the very limited data they have available.

There are so many kids to rate every year and their resources are basically limited to stats, size/weight measurements (often outdated) and highlight reels (just about anyone can be made to look good with editing). It's really hard to accurately rate kids based on that.

It becomes a little more accurate when they have camps where they can get accurate measurements and compare kids head-to-head, but that's not a perfect measure either. As they update stats and measurables over time, all that is recalculated and part of how kids move up and down the ratings.

Look at the NFL. NFL teams have a LOT more data and film on kids coming out of college and they have scouts they send to watch kids in person. They have private workouts, testing, physical evaluations and combines and just spend a whole lot more time evaluating each and every kid they're considering in the draft. And you know what? They still end up with drafting and paying millions to lots of kids who will never pan out in the NFL. And there are kids who never get drafted who are probably better than guys on NFL rosters.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  2. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    TBH, the majority of us in here don't care about a recruits individual star rankings, we just use that for a talking point, nothing more and used more to want to follow recruiting closer during year while no actual games are being played.

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  3. atlantagator86

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    I agree that many people don't get too caught up in it, but a lot of people here do.

The point I was addressing more was the belief a lot people have that the system is biased against UF. I definitely think Dot used to manipulate FSU commit ratings, and I'm sure there's a little subconscious bias of these guys to rate kids at their school of choice higher, but generally, I think these guys do the best they can with the resources they have.

4. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    The reason they said Gervon is not a 5* was ludicrious though:

"We weren't ready to make a 5star move with him yet but he's ranked 25th in the country so if Signing day were today, he would be a 5star. So he's on track."

Speaking of rankings, i do think Rashad Torrence is in line for a jump too if evaluated correctly. He's having a great senior season so far. I like him A LOT

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. bvgator789

bvgator789 GC Legend

Nov 29, 2018
    Regardless of his ranking we all well know he is and should be a high rated 5 star. And yes Rashad Torrence has been great this year. He should get a good ratings bump.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. dkgator

dkgator Junior

Apr 3, 2007
    Those are pretty good stats for the end of season. At the half-way point, that’s sick!!!

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. atlantagator86

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    He actually moved down 9 spots to #48 in their composite in mid August.

8. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    I remember reading that he struggled with technique in one of the camps this past summer. The same article suggested that physically, he might be the best DL in the class.

9. bvgator789

bvgator789 GC Legend

Nov 29, 2018
    This is true. The slight knock on him was the technique and he is raw but once he really learns the position he will be something special. Remember Dexter has not played a lot of football.

10. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    "I think I'm still raw, but I'm using my hands better," Dexter said following the debut. "I've learned the game more at big camps, The Opening, and stuff like that. I'm aggressive, I like to bang. On the inside, it's more hands-on, close contact."

Yep, I believe last year was his first year of football or something like that.

Recruiting Corner – Gervon Dexter, Lake Wales First Year Player with Double-Digit Offers – BCP NATION

At 6 foot 5 inches, Gervon Dexter is hard to miss. What you haven’t seen are his football highlights. That’s because he hasn’t played. Now a junior, Dexter will be playing football as a high school student for the first time in 2018. Before a meaningful snap, he already has 18 offers from colleges.

• Informative Informative x 2
  11. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    IMHO, if/when Gervon gets to UF, he will become the best DL we've had in a decade or more. I don't remember the last time we got a DT with the physique and athleticism he has. Will probably be a DE in the NFL.

• Like Like x 1
  12. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014

**EDIT****
    He’ll start sophomore year. We have no push at all right now. Did Slaton even play today?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
  13. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan GC Legend

Mar 17, 2019
    Greenard and Zuniga are pretty good.

• Agree Agree x 4
  14. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    Omar Hunter. Injuries just got him

15. orangebluegator

orangebluegator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    He
    I thought he did. He was the one who tipped the ball that greenard intercepted.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    Low key, Slaton has had an EXCELLENT season for the limited numbers of snaps he's had. The stats don't show it but at times, he's plugging the middle fine and his rush against UK was the reason we got that first int

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  17. DBCooper

DBCooper GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Hendersonville, NC
    Dexter will be a “first off the bus” freshman. He will also be a starter by mid-season if not before.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Spot on Bobby. Slaton truly becoming a difference maker. I key in on him a lot and he’s plugging big time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    DT is probably the most difficult position for a true freshman to start early. The size, weight and strength differential from HS to college is incredible and you are now double teamed, going against kids your own size, kids with similar 4 and 5 star talent, you have strict gap control responsibility, ... much more opportunity to freelance in HS and rely on size and talent differential. Hard for a true freshman without a few years in S&C to adjust to the DT role.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    Yea i'm not being in the camp of him being some immediate impact player next year. He's only played 2 years of football so like you said, he's VERY raw from a technique standpoint. Also, it's just like Xavier Thomas and Clemson last year, he was the #3 ranked player last year but Clemson was able to bring him along on their pace due to the talent and experience they returned which I believe we'll be able to do since we'll have Slaton, Conliffe, Dunlap, and Campbell returning next season. We'll be in no rush to throw him out there.

• Agree Agree x 2