Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Gervon Dexter

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by candymanfromgc, Aug 28, 2019.

1. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Based on what I have been told, Dexter will be a Gator.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. bvgator789

bvgator789 GC Legend

Nov 29, 2018
    Great news. I did not really have any doubts about him but this made it that much better.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    These other teams pull out all the stops. Despite it being football recruiting, these guys throw out Cheerleading scholarships to girlfriends, alumni offer high paying jobs to family members, ... Look at South Carolina starting freshman QB. California based, his brother gets into USC medical school, his parents move to South Carolina, and USC alumni contribute to their charity founded after death of their other deceased son that had committed suicide a few years back. Recruiting has all these tentacles and moving parts, where money and opportunities for family members and girlfriends is exchanged to entice a commitment to certain schools. Not illegal, but borderline ethical and done with a motivation or purpose

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  4. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    So basically the new normal is give the parents better jobs, a new home, and cars for the family (i.e. kid) all routed through the family. How that isn't an NCAA violation, I will never know.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. thekentuckygator

thekentuckygator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2018
    Kentucky
    That piece of art your son drew of a butterfly is amazing. I’ll give you $250,000.00 for it.

Happens.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    Hell wasn't/isn't Jake Bentley's father on the USCe staff in some capacity?

yep, just looked it up. His father was the RB coach from 16-18 and now he's the TE coach

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I
    doubt the ncaa ever will have the ability to regulate who works where.

8. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 23, 2014
    The NCAA certainly does have the ability to regulate whether a member institute can hire/pay a recruit's family (hell, most corporations have rules against nepotism and self dealing within families). This is not hard - the NCAA just prefers to keep all money it gets and not actually turn on the lights b/c they know everyone will see the cockroaches.

The REAL fear the NCAA has is that if they start enforcement against a big institution (or institutions) - say Alabama - that school and perhaps conference will bail on the NCAA and their money will dry up. They are pathetic.

• Winner Winner x 2
  9. GatorSean

GatorSean GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    People still don't understand what the NCAA is.

The NCAA pays the schools not the other way around. The NCAA is the schools. It is a completely membership driven organization. The members are the schools themselves.

Almost all of the money the NCAA gets comes from March Madness and most of that gets distributed back to the schools. The NCAA isn't worried about money drying up or losing schools because the schools are the ones making the money and setting the rules.

If there is a lack of enforcement it's because the schools want a lack of enforcement.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I’m talking private citizens. I can hire anyone I want, pay them whatever I want, and be a fan of any team I want. That will never change. How could the ncaa ever have the right to regulate how how I pay my employees. I have no affiliation whatsoever to any university.

11. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    Gervon will be in attendance this weekend and we know he'll be in attendance next Saturday as well. He's having a helluva season even though he's not playing the whole game in a lot of games this year.

He's already a fan favorite and it's not because of his 247 rankings.

I do have to give the staff credit for getting on him EARLY and securing his commitment ANNNNNNND also, as of now, fending off UGA.

Also, it does give a bit of credence to the people who believe that some recruits take a recruiting drop when they commit to us because I see that he went from 70th to 154th following his pledge to us and has had to work his way back up in the rankings.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    recruiting websites can’t ignore his stats or game tape domination. Also, he has a college body in terms of height/size and will not have to grow into frame like some of these skinny HS kids.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. bvgator789

bvgator789 GC Legend

Nov 29, 2018
    Can you imagine once Savage gets ahold of him!?!? Dude will be a freak.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. ugahairydawgs

ugahairydawgs All American

Apr 9, 2007
    Every fan base has a segment that feels the recruiting services are against them, mine included. They're all wrong from the macro sense.

While the services are made up of people and along with them comes their own set of biases, I don't think it has much to do with being committed to a particular school as much as it does to being committed at all. The uncommitted guys are the ones where there's generally more drama. The other thing in play here is that it's easy to see how a top 100 player who has been told how great he is and gets his commitment out of the way early kind of takes the foot off the gas in his senior year and his production drops off as a result.

15. bvgator789

bvgator789 GC Legend

Nov 29, 2018
    For those of you who do not know Dexters stats so far mid-way through the season he has 50 tackles, 8 sacks, 20 tfl, and 24 an hurries.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    I can't even imagine how disturbing we're going to be along the defensive front come the 2021 season. Soo many weapons and hopefully we'll have Black on the roster as well too at LB

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    I hear you but come on, Jalen Carter commits to UGA, plays a spring game, and shoots up from 93 to the 19th ranked player in the country. If that ain't ridiculous, i don't know what is.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. gatorpower

gatorpower GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    The high school recruiting ranking systems has no financial incentive to be accurate. It's only financial incentive is to be attractive to the average football fan.

If you look at each football player as a kind of abstract unit, with an assigned value, how would that market look? You have buyers and sellers and it's the rapacious appetite of both that sets the price, or the rate, or the terms, but the overall value, right? So who is invested? Who is participating?

The players, themselves? LOL Are they fighting to get into the best facilities?

The schools, themselves? Do you think Brent Venables reports to Dabo Swinney that he's basing an evaluation on some balding hick in Wyoming who runs a really cool website with lots of buttons and bright, shiny pictures? Dabo Swinney and Brent Venables do not hold their collective breaths for any star-ratings. The balding hick in Wyoming still gets money even if he has strong disagreements with the schools themselves with how they price players.

The people participating have created their own imaginary market, with no connection to the actual market. It's more like gambling actually. Players shouldn't be rated with stars, they should be rating with betting lines. Actually, it would be more entertaining if it was like gambling. You could bet on the over/under of a player starting his first year. You could parlay and string together odds. You know what, it would have a financial incentive to be right at that point, but, again, those numbers would only reflect the distribution of gamblers on both sides of a wager.

As long as the average person believes in star-ratings, the balding hick in Wyoming still gets to drive his Camaro. And yeah, there are a number of site owners who appear to adjust ratings just so they can do free marketing for their alma mater.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. ugahairydawgs

ugahairydawgs All American

Apr 9, 2007
    He's 59th on 247 and 165th on Rivals. Latter is low, IMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  20. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    I’ve always challenged recruiting rankings.
    If a kid looks can’t miss, give him five stars.
    If a kid looks like a pretty sure thing, give him four, etc.

Ranking a DE from Georgia over a RB from Florida and a QB from Texas is like saying tacos are better than pizza and hamburgers.

I’ve only been absolutely sure on a number one overall player once:
    Jadeveon Clowney