Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Germany has woken up to a problem of far-right extremism in its elite special forces.

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by studegator, Aug 2, 2020.

1. studegator

studegator All American

Feb 24, 2008
    Body Bags and Enemy Lists: How Far-Right Police Officers and Ex-Soldiers Planned for ‘Day X’
    Body Bags and Enemy Lists: How Far-Right Police Officers and Ex-Soldiers Planned for ‘Day X’
    GÜSTROW, Germany — The plan sounded frighteningly concrete. The group would round up political enemies and those defending migrants and refugees, put them on trucks and drive them to a secret location.

Then they would kill them.

One member had already bought 30 body bags. More body bags were on an order list, investigators say, along with quicklime, used to decompose organic material.

On the surface, those discussing the plan seemed reputable. One was a lawyer and local politician, but with a special hatred of immigrants. Two were active army reservists. Two others were police officers, including Marko Gross, a police sniper and former parachutist who acted as their unofficial leader.

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. UFLawyer

UFLawyer GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    What exactly is “far right?” I’m not seeing this phenomenon as a political party on the right/left spectrum. Do you think the political spectrum is a single straight line? Left on one side, right on the other?

3. nolancarey

nolancarey GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2009
    From the article:
    No, extremism isn't on a single line, and as you point out it is a spectrum. But start your own thread on the depredations of Mao or Stalin if it gives you the jollies.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. gators81

gators81 Premium Member

Apr 8, 2007
    atlanta
    Yeah, that’s what really bothered me about that article as well...

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. studegator

studegator All American

Feb 24, 2008
  6. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    Exactly. If this story involved the opposite something tells me that poster wouldn't be asking "Hurr durr, what exactly is 'far left?'"

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. studegator

studegator All American

Feb 24, 2008
    A reference to the "deep state"

In that parallel universe of disinformation, he learns that the government is secretly flying in refugees after midnight. That coronavirus is a ploy to deprive citizens of their rights. That Ms. Merkel works for what he calls the “deep state.”
    “The deep state is global,” Mr. Gross said. “It’s big capital, the big banks, Bill Gates.”
    He still expects Day X, sooner or later. Riots linked to an economic meltdown. Or a blackout, because the German government is shuttering coal plants.

8. gators81

gators81 Premium Member

Apr 8, 2007
    atlanta
    I guess we can take ANTIFA off the left end of the spectrum as well then.

• Like Like x 1
  9. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
  10. UFLawyer

UFLawyer GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    What exactly is “far right?”
    so this is just another Trump is a Nazi thread. Thanks for clarifying

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. UFLawyer

UFLawyer GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    this is the problem with civil discourse. Meaningless labels instead of intelligent analysis. The lack of foresight is going to doom our Country.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. nolancarey

Aug 16, 2009
    And I'm sure Nazis were offended by apt comparisons to their precursors.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  13. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    That was a good one - I fell just as I tend to be: a little bit right of pure libertarian, with a strong non-interventionist rating and a moderate social-liberalism rating.

14. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    Left and right, taken too far, end in authoritarianism. That is why I suggest the spectrum is a circle. Different styles of tyranny.

15. RIP

RIP VIP Member

Feb 2, 2015
    I ended up as a centrist social libertarian.

16. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 Premium Member

Oct 11, 2011
    Bro he’s a libertarian.

17. nolancarey

Aug 16, 2009
    The quiz has a weird skew. I put in neutral for every question and marked that every single one was important, but it defaults to Left: 0.1, Authoritarian: 0.15. I changed gender and country but those results remained the same.

18. nolancarey

Aug 16, 2009
    So what is that on the spectrum? Down? South? Bottom dweller?

19. ursidman

ursidman GC Hall of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Murphy NC
  20. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    Left social moderate. We should work towards our collective strengths, not against our collective weaknesses. The only time it should be US vs. Them is when the ref blows the whistle, then it's game on. when the final buzzer goes off, let's all go have a beer. When we play together, we win. When play against each other, we lose. My HS football team taught me that. When I was in 10th grade, we went undefeated and made the state playoffs, because we played to our strengths. When I was a senior, 2 years later, we went 1-8, the only win coming against a winless opponent in overtime by a field goal. Senior year our huddles were bitch sessions, and as an RB I could see the DL laughing their butts off at us. They could hear the bickering and the play call 10 yards (30 feet) away. Because the QB had to call the play louder that the bitch fest.