Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Georgia's New $80 M Football Facility Expansion

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by thatguy, Jun 4, 2021.

1. thatguy

thatguy Moderator VIP Member

Oct 2, 2020
    Tallahassee, FL
    Georgia is being tight-lipped about all its new facility has to offer

When a program gets new facilities, they usually like to show them off, but Georgia has been unusually quiet about the brand-new $80 million, 165,000 square-foot expansion to the Butts-Mehre complex.

Nothing has been posted about it on social media since May when players reactions to the new building were shown, and for the most part, it has gone under the radar of most fans.

Like everything the Georgia coaching staff does, the silence serves a purpose; the Dawgs were saving the first outside look at the facility for recruits and their families. With on-campus visits being allowed for the first time in 16 months, allowing recruits first access to the facility maximizes its potential to wow them.

Here is what we know ...

What We Know About Georgia’s New Football Facility

Georgia unveils new indoor facility to players: ‘This baby’s lit, now’

WATCH: Georgia players blown away by facility expansion, upgrades

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Did you hear the ex FSU player talking about Georgia hosting Gilbert’s family in a luxury hotel the last few weeks. Probably a booster, but hard to compete against that.

We can talk about UF having a new football facility, but when you are the very last program to get one, not much momentum results from finally having what others have already had. Especially true when your athletic stipend is lower than other programs

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

I like the black and dark colors that are NEUTRAL.... We need to stop the "Fischer Price" all white walls with splashes orange and blue in them... We need to STOP THAT KIDS/CHILDREN'S/CLOWN SHOW look and get to 'MAN LOOKING PLACES' ! Forget these clowns we have designing our interiors!!!! Bama and many others have MAN designed places... Quit playing the clown shows on interiors...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    One more thing... SCREW GEORGIA FOOTBALL... AND THAT STATE....

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. TJtheGator

TJtheGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    After decades of refusing to enter the facility wars, it’s a start.

Still got a long ways to go as approximately $250 million are needed in renovations to the Swamp (East stands, South endzone, east faccade, etc), but it is something we could not compete without.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Sarasota, FL
    UF is not losing out on top-shelf HS recruits to UGA, Bama, Clemson, LSU, pOSU, A&M etc primarily because of inferior “facilities”, imho.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  7. bike1014

bike1014 GC Legend

Jan 9, 2010
    If you're not first, you're last!

- Ricky Bobby

• Like Like x 1
  8. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    Agree. I've never heard one quote from an athlete who said he picked one college over another because of facilities. Does it make a subtle background first impression on them? Yes, probably. But, unless your facility is an absolute dump, I just don't think a lazy river makes a difference. It's become a ridiculous arms race that focuses on peripheral luxuries vice real needs.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. thatguy

thatguy Moderator VIP Member

Oct 2, 2020
    Tallahassee, FL
    I suspect all the bells and whistles make a big impression on most young athletes.
    Not to mention the "Super Friendly Hostesses" and the $100/$1000 handshakes and the "Super Special Deals" on cars and the show-up-once-in-a-while part time jobs and the coaching jobs for your daddy etc. etc.

• Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  10. KSAGator

KSAGator Senior

Jan 26, 2014
    Mexico
    Always a good sign when most of what we discuss are theories for why we cannot compete in recruiting.

11. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    funny, georgia already killing it in recruiting without the facilities upgrade. We are a year away from completion and .... I always thought the facilities excuse in recruiting was just an excuse for mediocre results. Meyer didn't need facilities and MissChimp, albeit he seemingly chose not to recruit offense, but his stellar defensive recruits didn't seem to mind UF facilities.

12. GatorChoice

GatorChoice GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Wesley Chapel, Florida
    The money has ruined college football. I’m just about done supporting it at all.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. trump4life

trump4life Senior

Oct 7, 2020
    NIL money makes college athletes professionals. Those that get the $$ will be happy and players who don’t will be unhappy. Result = quality of game played goes down dramatically.

BTW, now that players are being paid, will they still get free ride scholarships?

Haven’t watched any pro sport contest in years. How long till I give up on college sports? Maybe not too far in the future.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  14. DawgFanFromAlabam

DawgFanFromAlabam GC Hall of Fame

Apr 18, 2007
    [​IMG]
    This stuff impresses 18-year-olds.

• Agree Agree x 4
  15. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    It matters to kids. They talk about the pool at LSU and beds in locker rooms. They talk about Bama, Clemson, ….

Spending matters. Take our coaches salaries. Dan has to skimp on the CB coaches salary and basically attracted someone that was an intern/analyst for UGA 3 years ago that has never put kids in the NFL. When Humphrey went to Ohio State they made a point of highlighting their coaches experience coaching at the P5 level end all the CBs he has got drafted annually and in the first round. Hump noticed.

if you go cheap on the stipend you pay kids, the dorms, the size of your locker room, the stadium, the lack of a stand alone facility, coaches salaries, …. Kids notice and good recruiters at other programs point it out to them. TN tells Florida recruits they can earn $8,000 more in athletic stipend over 4 years at UT versus UF.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. GatorMatt06

GatorMatt06 GC Legend

Oct 4, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    I saw some LSU podcast is claiming Arik wanted $400k to come back to LSU, definitely some smoke to that situation IMO.

• Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  17. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

This is bullshit

18. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    The only surprise there is that he didn't get it. ;)

19. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I hope our new facilities make a difference.
    I can't believe our assistant coach salaries are so low. How is our HC skimping on assistant salaries but just received a million plus dollar raise? Something's just not right in our program. I don't know if it's structural or what but anyway....
    What's the solution? If I were recruiting against another school I certainly would point out factual differences, ie our CBs get drafted higher by far, your coach is excellent and will develop you, we play for championships, we can legally pay you more money.

20. tigator2019

tigator2019 GC Legend

Dec 25, 2018
    In my head--- UF
    The facility is bright and shiny. Have to wait until 2022 in Hogtown.

• Agree Agree x 1