Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Georgia Fail

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by GaGator1, Jan 17, 2020.

1. GaGator1

GaGator1 Sophomore

Dec 6, 2015
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Yeah maybe he turns out well, but this doesn’t scare me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Jayhovah

Jayhovah GC Hall of Fame

May 15, 2007
    Not sure UGA fans will agree with the term 'face-lift' when they see the product next season.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    I really thought they'd try to bring back Mike Bobo, but he's with USCe now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. GatorSean

GatorSean GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I didn't even realize they were looking for an OC. What happened to Coley?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Coley got demoted? He'll be leaving soon enough.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  7. GaGator1

GaGator1 Sophomore

Dec 6, 2015
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. SuperMOM

SuperMOM Junior

Jan 31, 2016
    FIGHT!
    FIGHT!
    FIGHT!

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    You really have to wonder what Smart is thinking with the grad transfer qb and this hire, or if he is just not thinking and desperate. This guy has the background to install an offense that could suit a dual threat like Newman (hard to tell if he made a great contribution to Eastern Michigan or OK State or if he just got plugged in by Gundy and continued what they did), but what then after that? Does Smart have to get another dual threat transfer for the next year? Or has he sold Newman on re-making him into a drop back passer and then Beck is next up? Being a Gator I am excited about the developments there, but if I were a Bulldogs fan, I would have to be scratching my head wondering what is going on.

10. ugahairydawgs

ugahairydawgs All American

Apr 9, 2007
    There's been a concerted effort in the past year or so to get QBs with the ability to move. Signed Fields in 2018, Dwan Mathis in 2019 & made attempts to sign CJ Stroud and Hudson Card this year.

As is the case with any hire for any program, you have to wait to see what happens to determine the results. But bringing in Matt Luke to coach and re-shape the OL and now Todd Monken and his air raid history to run the offense lines up with all of the talk at the end of the season on our end that the offense will look different next season.

How different remains to be seen.

• Informative Informative x 6
  11. spincycle81

spincycle81 All American

Oct 10, 2015
    What I'll be interested in most is seeing if Monken utilizes any of the running talent up there. He's been really pass-heavy and when he's called plays teams have tended to be awful at running the ball.

12. gator_annarbor

gator_annarbor Sophomore

Nov 9, 2019
    Do they have a staff member leaving or moving to an off the field position? Did not realize they had an opening.

13. spincycle81

spincycle81 All American

Oct 10, 2015
    Coley was their OC and they've said he's moving to another role. I wonder if he stays or if they even want him to stay.

14. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Special teams coordinator Scott Fountain left for the same position at Arkansas. This means current OC James Coley will get shuffled off to another role to make his $950k. Interesting..

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    If Chase Brice comes that will be 3 scholarships of the initial 25 filled by guys with either 1 or 2 years left. (Brice has 2.)
    I would think that would hurt recruiting, almost like a loss of scholarships. It seems like it would be tough to keep the roster at 80+ with so many 1 or 2 year guys.

16. biggynugs

biggynugs Senior

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, fl
    Maybe a “botched face lift”. Those are pretty horrific

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  17. kryptonite

Dec 12, 2008
    Yes, I think this is wait and see.

On the negative side, at least initially, I think that questions about what Luke is going to do with the OL affected Braun going to UF and brought on the shakiness of SVP. Those two are prototypical of what Smart had been bringing in to Georgia. I am not saying that they cannot move and engage down field or on the edge, but they are road graders first.

I don't think it is a good idea to recruit different types of QB. It didn't work at Florida during Meyer's and Muschamp's tenures and it hasn't worked so far at Georgia for Smart. Trying to mesh Leak into what Meyer/Mullen did in 2005/2006 was painful to watch. Fields saw the writing on the wall, that you don't turn around an offense in a year to accommodate a dual threat. In the same respect I am skeptical even that Newman can run a pass first air raid offense. Smart does need to change the offense, but he seems to have dug himself into a hole in how he has hedged his bets, trying to get immediate results before rounding the corner on his offense. Mullen is the only one that I can think of that has had enough flexibility in his system to effectively use a QB who does not run and a dual threat QB.

It should be interesting to see what happens with Georgia's offense.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. ugahairydawgs

ugahairydawgs All American

Apr 9, 2007
    We already have a good idea as to what Luke wants to do with the OL. Get them a little leaner and have them moving more. Pulls, counters and less reliance on getting the biggest OL we can find and just trying to be a brick wall.

As far as the overall offense goes, we are not going to turn into a Mike Leach or Rich Rodriguez type offense. If I had to guess it would look similar to Alabama over the past few seasons, more of a rotation at WR, getting those guys in space deeper down the field rather than right around the LOS and then using that to clear out the box for the run game. I don’t think it’s going to be an offense centered around any specific type of QB, but i do think that there is going to be a continued effort to find guys that can move if things break down instead of just being statues back in the pocket.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  19. drcgator

drcgator Freshman

Nov 19, 2017
    Of course he will try to make it look like Alabama. Kirby Smart doesn't have an original bone in his body.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Funny Funny x 3
  20. kryptonite

Dec 12, 2008
    That is the ideal, but there are only so many Tua's to recruit every decade.

I actually enjoyed Mullen's offense more this year than other years, regardless that we had no run game to speak of and a limited OL even in passing downs. However, I have a great appreciation for Mullen's usual offense with a large, athletic dual threat QB because there are so many ways to move the ball at any down or distance to methodically move the ball when the defense needs a rest.

Alabama looked like they should have a solid defense, but it just never turned into what it was in previous years, and I wondered if that had to do with the pressure the defense was under from quick scoring and little rest.