Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

George W

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by G8trGr8t, Sep 13, 2021.

1. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    W was a good dude that may have made a fine president had he not governed during such pressing times nor had such bad voices in his ear.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. jeffbrig

jeffbrig GC Hall of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    Reminds me of the old sailing adage: Anyone can hold the wheel in calm seas.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  3. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Or … MAYBE, just maybe, Bush sees what so many others see in Trump - a fear monger intent on waging internal war to enable him to seize power and control which he is not entitled, or even worse, for the purpose of inciting a large base population to celebrate and adulate him while hating anyone one who does not accept his words as truth.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  4. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    Yup. That's why the metric of: Who would you rather have a beer with - is an awful metric for picking a leader.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    In every sense, he is a thorough mediocrity.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    He would never ever have been accepted by the Left due to the butt hurt of 2000 POTUS election, and the snub of the dems' perceived entitlement to a 3rd Clinton term.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  7. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Absolutely, I couldn't find anything in George W. Bush's speech supportive of left-wing ideology. What I did hear was call for the support of the rule of law and the Constitutional process for transition from the administration of a defeated president to the that of the newly elected president and comparison between the insurgents who attacked the Capitol on January 6th with 9-11 terrorists to the extent the neither respects the rule of law and the violence is acceptable vehicle to impose values. Implicit in what President Bush said was that it was time to return to the Republican Party to what it was rather than a cult based on the worship of one man.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  8. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    He was actually very solid in handling 9/11 and its aftermath.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    I went back to 1992 & this metric picked 5/8 for my preference.

10. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    Most of the liberals I know now voted for Bush at least once. I have to think that's at least part of this rather nauseating development of W image rehab.

11. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    The Democrats may not have liked the results of the 2000 election and a fair percentage questioned the process resulting in W's election and while they never agreed with a number of W's policies including his invasion of Iraq and his support of the fossil fuel industry, they never advocated force to prevent the ratification of the vote of the Electoral College.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    Franky I thought the wording rather ambiguous to begin with (why I initially deleted my post); but to the extent we are to read this as the supposed jab at Trump pubs, I would submit it is as I characterized it.

NB: should be worth noting, that I categorically reject y'all's utterly insulting characterization of what GOP supporters of Trump stand for, what we represent, and who we are.

IOW, I absolutely reject the allegation that we are racists, xenophobes, and especially, white supremes.

If Dub does in fact think that that's who we are...then I suppose he's where he belongs--on the Left (amongst folks who mock and disdain him).

But if anyone wants to run shit about civil dialogue, they might want to consider starting somewhere that doesn't begin with the premise that we are racist /xenophobic/misogynist hate mongers.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    So you voted for Obama in '12? Romney doesn't drink beer....

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    I voted for neither & I said 5 of 8. & preferring 1 outcome to the another does not mean I like either.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
  15. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    Frankly, I'm not so sure I wouldn't rather they did, than carry on with the passive aggressive latent disdain and divisiveness that poisoned the political well for the next 20 years, clear into and through the reviled *January 6* protest-riot, being painted an *insurrection*.

16. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    If you are including his decision to invade Iraq as part of the aftermath then no, he was not very solid. That was easily one of the worst foreign policy decisions in US history.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    It was pretty obvious the first play for Trump was to try to have the courts "stop the count" when ahead like in 2000. Then they kind of winged it when they never were ahead and the media's calls made Biden the presumed winner. Instead of a Brooks Brothers riot in 2000, they got a less savory capital riot in 2020. That people can see the events of 2000 and 2020 as somehow distinct is a bit unsettling, that goes for people who want to exculpate Trump and the people that think Trump was the first time democracy was undermined by the GOP. Anyone who thinks Bush gives a damn about American democracy has lost the plot. As the saying goes, history repeats itself, first as tragedy, then as farce.

18. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    The more accurate description would be failed or attempted insurrection. Although the chances of actually succeeding were virtually nil the participants after being ginned up by the defeated and now former president were trying to forcibly block the Constitutional process of certifying the votes of state electors.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  19. 14serenoa

14serenoa Living in Orange and surrounded by Seminoles... Premium Member

Jul 28, 2014
    I believe Cheney was a terrible shadow President...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Failed autogolpe, if you want to be truly accurate. Trump, already in power, wasn't attempting to remove anyone from power in an insurrection attempt. But instead, was attempting an autogolpe and illegally maintain power.

On Presidential terms, I put W with Carter. Good people who made poor Presidents. I think W. listened to the wrong advisers and didn't understand the nuances of places like Iraq, and honestly thought we'd be welcomed as conquering heroes once we toppled Saddam. W. was being fed this by the PNAC, which instead of questioning and verifying, W. took as gospel. The result was the failure that is the second Iraq invasion. The phrase trust but verify is important, and W., in my opinion, was too intellectually lazy to verify, and trusted far, right ring advisors far too much.

As for W.'s speech, I guess anyone that doesn't kneel down at the altar of Trump is now considered far left wing liberal. If true, welcome to the club of former Republicans who now think what the party stands for is truly despicable.