Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

George Floyd (Eric Garner 2.0)

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by ValdostaGatorFan, May 26, 2020.

1. ursidman

ursidman GC Hall of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Murphy NC
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    apparently rolling through a stop sign in Midland Texas is a very serious offense:

https://www.news.meredithlmg.com/tncms/asset/editorial/e124e6e2-a0c6-11ea-907b-9f743d382ac2/

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Now you're making the case that our police departments are using excessive force...

That doesn't prove racism though...

More Whites die on the streets due to police shootings every year despite Blacks taking up a disproportionate amount of the violent crime like murders (50%) and robberies...

And that's not accounting for multiple other variables like population size, mental health, whether the civilian population is armed, general violent crime rates, etc. The US is generally more violent than the UK... and is much more populated than the UK which causes those numbers to make more sense...

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Guardian of the GC Galaxy Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    • Winner Winner x 2
  5. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    sure they do. Watch livepd any weekend..this is standard procedure, and makes my point from earlier in the thread. His race didn’t matter one lick here.
    He ran the stop sign, no big deal. Then he refused to stop and turned it into a pursuit, which automatically means he is going to be taken out with guns drawn. They don’t know if he fled because he is a wanted, hiding drugs, guns etc. Then he refused to get out claim he as scared, which heightened it worse. This is exactly the problem, this crazy inordinate fear of incredibly rare events makes things harder on everyone.
    If he had just stopped when asked it would have been a routine stop. But people see the dramatic end of it all and it’s police brutality, which is silly. He was charged wit evading arrest for a reason.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. OaktownGator

Apr 3, 2007
    It says the officer followed him home. It did not say the officer tried to stop him.

Sound like evading arrest?

Further:
    The bolded sentence supports the point that the officer did not try to stop him prior to getting to his grandmother's house.

Anders sat in his car for several minutes and as you point out, that contributed to this. It would be interesting to see the history that led to the several run-ins with that police department. Could explain his fear of leaving the car. Could also explain why he was being followed and not pulled over. The whole "rolling a stop sign" charge could be completely manufactured to support why they were following him.

But I'll stand by the point that this is not a situation that white America deals with... cops following you around without being pulled over, and then arresting you on the front lawn of your destination. Over supposedly rolling a stop sign.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  7. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Ridiculous. And scary.[/QUOTE]
    Again, you are jumping to conclusions. This happens with every one of these cases, and half of them turn out to be BS, or nowhere near as serious as claimed. The cops affadavit says they lit him up several blocks from the house.

if it turns out that the cops are lying, then I will gladly admit I was wrong. But I assume there is dashcam footage and that doesn’t lie, so if they are making that part up they are awfully dumb.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. OaktownGator

Apr 3, 2007
    I didn't see the affidavit. That would change things if there is evidence they tried to pull him over several blocks back as you say.

Depending on the distance I can also see how he'd feel safer at his grandmother's house and try to get there.

I'm still interested to see what his prior run-ins with this department were about and whether they add any context to this.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Why don't you start another thread about lynching? You are so transparent.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  10. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Walked into the bedroom and my wife was in bed at 4pm tearing up, no joke. She was upset reading her facebook. Most of our friends are conservatives and a few quite flaky... enough were posting that this Floyd thing is a hoax by the democrats in an election year and enough others were more concerned about lecturing people about "how to protest" than the murder that she's lost her faith in humanity. As a loving husband I of course offered afternoon sex. Not going to make that mistake again... this week.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. G8R8U2

G8R8U2 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Facebook is an alternate universe where everything that was true and factual is now the polar opposite; a freaking bizarro-world. It's going to be tough to deny that new video.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. sas1988

sas1988 Sophomore

Nov 16, 2016
    Denver
    Gosh darn it please advise us when you are going to write the funniest chit I've seen/heard all week in a thread as depressing as this one. I lost my chi tea over that one. Too good, and needed. Thank you sir, may I have another?

• Funny Funny x 3
  13. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    Jesus Christ, that's disheartening.

That applies to both offering your wife afternoon sex while she's crying, and conservatives and their loony theories that a man's murder by police is a hoax.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Shade45

Shade45 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I definitely agree on excessive for too.

However, IMO anyone questioning the systemic racism that exists in LE as well as the legal & justice systems are in denial.

BTW, almost all of these cases that include the Eric Gardner's, George Floyd's, Philando Castille's etc the black victim is not involved in any violent act.

Last edited: May 29, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. mutz87

mutz87 #glassofwatergate VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    We need to change the rules of the game. People need to realize that policing does not have to be like this in the US.

There is nothing stopping us, either. Only conditioned thinking.

I'm not anti-police but it would seem to me that in a country that supposedly values freedom, we sure have a weak spot for aggressive policing and the taking of liberty away from others. Then again, there's some white privilege wrapped up in such thinking.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Wait . . . was there an afternoon sex video that we missed? :devil:
    Seriously though - which video? Are you referring to the one of the alleged St Paul police officer destroying property?

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    Apparently the murderer's accomplice(the Asian cop) had a history of beating the shit out of citizens.

Man reveals he spent four days in hospital after cop involved in death of George Floyd 'punched and kicked him until his teeth broke' and was paid $25,000 in damages

-In 2014, Lamar Ferguson was arrested by two Minneapolis police officers
    -He and his eight-months-pregnant girlfriend had just left a hospital in the city
    -While walking down alley, he says he was accosted by officer Tou Thao
    -Ferguson alleges Thao kicked and punched him, shattering his teeth
    -He says he suffered injuries to his back, shoulders, and face
    -Officers claimed Ferguson appeared 'suspicious' and had warrant out for arrest
    -But a search of a criminal database found there was no warrant for Ferguson
    -Ferguson was cleared of charges that he assaulted the police officers
    -In 2017, he received $25,000 settlement after suing Thao and Thunder
    -Thao is one of four officers involved in Monday's arrest of George Floyd, 44

18. ValdostaGatorFan

ValdostaGatorFan GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    There's rumors floating around that there are rouge provocateurs in Minneapolis. Could be nothing. Could be something. Who knows.

Video:

Pic:
    [​IMG]

I read an article somewhere that folks from the "boogaloo" movement stirring things up as well. Those are the anti-government folks that advocates for a violent uprising targeting liberal political opponents and law enforcement and can often be seen kitted out with their AR-15s handy. I'll try and find that link.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Yes... and they are individual incidents... not necessarily a microcosm of America nor police forces in America...

Not very compelling in terms of that sort of evidence... Almost 500 white guys are shot by police in the US every year... The fact that we can't name one and the media doesn't cover any of these cases is disgraceful.

These things probably happen to White folks as well.

20. ValdostaGatorFan

ValdostaGatorFan GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    Interesting read...

"Young, white men dressed in Hawaiian-style print shirts and body armor, and carrying high-powered rifles have been a notable feature at state capitols, lending an edgy and even sometimes insurrectionary tone to gatherings of conservatives angered by restrictions on businesses and church gatherings during the coronavirus pandemic.

Just as many states are reopening their economies — and taking the wind out of the conservative protests — the boogaloo movement found a new galvanizing cause: the protests in Minneapolis against the police killing of George Floyd.

A new iteration of the militia movement, boogaloo was born out of internet forums for gun enthusiasts that repurposed the 1984 movie Breakin’ 2: Electric Boogaloo as a code for a second civil war, and then modified it into phrases like “big luau” to create an insular community for those in on the joke, with Hawaiian-style shirts functioning as an in-real-life identifier. Boogaloo gained currency as an internet meme over the summer of 2019, when it was adopted by white supremacists in the accelerationist tendency. In January, the movement made the leap from the internet to the streets when a group boogaloo-ers showed up at the Second Amendment rally in Richmond, Va."

Far-right ‘boogaloo’ militants have embedded themselves in the George Floyd protests in Minneapolis: ‘They want their civil war’ – Alternet.org

• Informative Informative x 3