Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

George Floyd (Eric Garner 2.0)

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by ValdostaGatorFan, May 26, 2020.

1. LLCoolJ94

LLCoolJ94 GC Hall of Fame

Please explain the good that comes in destroying the police cars of officers who had literally nothing to do with this.

I should also add that of all my encounters with officers, most of them were terrible experiences. Very seldom was I actually treated appropriately. But I do not hold every police officer in existence as responsible. Just the *those* officers present. I must use an asterisk because I cannot use the word here that I would like.

• Like Like x 3
  2. LLCoolJ94

LLCoolJ94 GC Hall of Fame

That all four were fired outright, and not put on administrative leave, means that prosecution is coming.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    Here's why--drafted this earlier but didn't post it--but seeing your post--as I hear Hannity making the same observation--seems like we're seeing pretty much the same thing...

Btw, i further feel impelled to point out that the murder of George Floyd--the guy from Minneapolis who was killed under the knee of the MPLS police officer (figured his name should be invoked from time to time...)--is one of the very few issues where we all agree on the injustice, and we all demand justice.

At a time when unity around anything, one would think, would be presumably, well taken.

Alas, to the 21st century SJW, his/her identity depends on a malevolent boogy man--an opponent to advocate the thing he/she needs to feel like he/she is actively involved in fixing.

...so I guess 'unity' is quite simply off table--unless we are invaded by martians...who are also racist, homophobic, misogynists who wear white pillow cases with (3) eye holes...

Last edited: May 28, 2020
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Listening to the US Attorney in the press conference today he said they wanted to get all the facts in, they didn't want to rush it. He said they rushed it in Baltimore and all of those police officers were acquitted.

• Like Like x 1
  5. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    Minneapolis is a wussy city--I know it well...

I punched a New Orleans cop in the gut back in college, for choking me hard enough to leave hand prints on my neck that remained visible for several days....

Cops can definitely be pricks.

I lived with a couple (cops) in Gainesville too, and knew a few others. Got plenty of stories. Some cops good some bad.

The USA still great.

C'est la vie.

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2020
  6. SCGator52

SCGator52 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    San Antonio, Tx
    I said I can accept destroying police cars when they are protesting against the police. It’s not right to destroy that property but I could accept it in those circumstances. It falls in line with Boston Tea Party and their actions. Was it right to destroy the tea? No but you can accept it due to the circumstances.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    Am I 'deflecting', when I seek to steer the convo from Colin &@#$!#'n Kaepernick, to GEORGE FLOYD???

Damn me and my incurable racism! :ninja2:

8. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    I actually agreed with his post, based on the inference he drew from it--here's my explanation (since i'm the 'he' in your little side-swipe there):

Clumsy wording.

"Purported" was directed at the purported target of his protest, when it becomes about him--not the actual issue.

Fwiw.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  9. mutz87

mutz87 #glassofwatergate VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    I can understand why you think this, but don't our values symbolized by the flag exist locally?

If a local police dept is violating the rights of residents, don't we have some duty to speak out against the injustice?

On the flip side, private sporting events are not federal events, so why fly the flag or play the NA?

10. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    No.

I'm not sure why you would think my post would have anything to do with you steering the convo from Colin &@#$!#'n Kaepernick, to GEORGE FLOYD. I thought it was pretty clear I was talking about doing it the other way around.

11. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    Exist locally--sure, i suppose--but that doesn't mean we define the greatness of the US, to its lowest point, exemplified by local rogue assholes who abuse the freedom the US affords.

IOW, you don't lash out against the freedom, bc of its abuse. Its abuse that's the problem, not the freedom.

(anyone think abuse would lessen, if freedom itself were reined in?)

I think that's a fair expectation--but...well, see above--lest I repeat myself.

Though I'd add that 'failing to speak up' still doesn't make the US more culpable than the actual perpetrators (local police).

To celebrate the environment of freedom which permits us to gather and enjoy these games.

I thought that was obvious.

What did you think we were celebrating every time the Nat'l anthem is sung and the flag saluted, before every game?

Last edited: May 28, 2020
  12. Kirby

Kirby GC Legend

Sep 14, 2009
    Rocket City
    SCGator52:
    I can accept police cars being destroyed when this is directed towards them.

Are you fricking kidding me? How is this acceptable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    I see. My bad. total misread.

14. GatorGuyDallas

GatorGuyDallas VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Plano, Texas
    Apparently the officer that killed him had 18 prior complaints against him with two resulting in discipline. I have no idea what “normal” is on that front. It certainly sounds like they should have known he was a problem if (I said if) that is an unusual number of complaints.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. GatorGuyDallas

Apr 3, 2007
    Plano, Texas
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. SCGator52

SCGator52 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    San Antonio, Tx
    I said I can accept it based on the anger directed at the police. I don’t think it’s right nor do I condone it but I can understand the anger. It’s better than violence towards the police which will only result in more lives lost. A police car can be replaced but lives cannot be replaced.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. mutz87

mutz87 #glassofwatergate VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Certainly we agree about abuse being the problem, which is what CK was protesting against, not freedom. I'm reminded not of MLK in this instance, but of Fredrick Douglass' famous July 5th speech in which he told whites July 4th was their holiday. That wasn't because he hated America or argued against American freedom--indeed, he was a great American--but he pointed out the problem of slavery in celebrating that holiday. There's a parallel in using the flag or the NA (or even July 4th) to point out in protest the abuses that occur under it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    And what does the Fraternal Order of Police (brutality) have to say about this? Still dumbfounded about how they defended the cop who murdered Laquon McDonald, the cops who stood by and the others who tried to cover it up.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. GatorGuyDallas

Apr 3, 2007
    Plano, Texas
    This is Trump in July of 2017 in a speech to law enforcement officers. Words matter.
    #trumpsaidroughupsuspects

I don’t give a crap that he tied the comment to a murder suspect. He advocated for mistreatment of a suspect.

It isn’t a topic for humor. It isn’t a topic for making sport.

Do your job. Bring in the bad guys. Encourage aggressive pursuit of the gang members that were in the news at that time. All for it.

The leader of the country can’t advocate for roughing suspects up. Except he did.

“When you guys put somebody in the car and you’re protecting their head, you know, the way you put their hand over?” Trump said, miming the physical motion of an officer shielding a suspect’s head to keep it from bumping against the squad car.

“Like, don’t hit their head, and they just killed somebody — don’t hit their head,” Trump continued. “I said, you can take the hand away, okay?”

• Like Like x 2
  20. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    So much love in this post . . .