Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

George and Simona Papapapolous Interview with Rolling Stone

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by duchen, Jun 13, 2018.

1. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    It's the first public interview that George, who is 30, has given in the months since agreeing to cooperate with special counsel Robert Mueller's investigation; until now, Simona has been his voice. Last December, she told ABC's George Stephanopoulos that her then-fiancé (the couple married in March) was no mere "coffee boy," as one Trump surrogate insisted on CNN. History, Simona said, would vindicate him as "the first domino" in the Russia investigation. George takes a sip of coffee, purses his lips and fixes me with a serious look. "It's like Simona said: This is much bigger than one person," he says. "This is much more complicated than Watergate. We are talking about foreign governments, intelligence, various countries, decoys, hacking, honey pots... And, of course, one of the most-watched presidential campaigns of history. I am just in the middle of it."

For "like, date five," George says, he invited Simona on a trip to Greece, where "a lot of strange things happened." Simona adds, "We met a few spies in Mykonos." Among them was an Israeli businessman in his mid-sixties – the couple are now convinced he was an agent for the Mossad – who, she says, would later offer George $10,000 in cash. According to Simona, the payment was "not to be a consultant, just to, let's say, 'keep [his] engagements.'" She's now convinced the payment "was a setup." Agents for the Mueller probe asked her about it when she was interviewed in Chicago last year. "They were testing my credibility," Simona says, adding she had to answer all of their questions truthfully. "If I didn't, I would be charged with lying to the FBI." (She says George accepted the money and gave it to his lawyers.)

By George's count, the Israeli businessman was one of half a dozen "land mines" – attempts at entrapment – he navigated before his arrest. Another was Stefan Halper, a Cambridge University professor reportedly dispatched by the FBI to ascertain whether the Trump campaign had been infiltrated by the Russians. In September 2016, Halper offered to pay George to write a paper on gas exploration in the Mediterranean Sea. "I thought he was a normal professor," George says.

"No, you always thought he was a spy," Simona interjects. "Now we know."

George and Simona Papadopoulos: Life After a Russia Investigation Guilty Plea

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    Wheel of Fortune answer:

The Stephanopoulos-Papadopoulos Interview​

I'd like to buy a vowel Pat.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    It's all Greek to me.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator with bulletproof posts! Moderator VIP Member

True story. My wife and her brothers used to call her grandfather Papa. But when being silly she would call him Papadopoulos. To the point that my 7 year old calls me that sometimes... At least I finally know how to spell it. :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1