Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Genie officially out of the bottle

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by 31g8r, Sep 30, 2019.

1. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    There's always exceptions...

Exhibit A: Leonard Fournette...

2. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    It's bad for the game of college football, but it's good for the players...

To me, there's too much money at stake... Letting college athletes get paid what they can without restrictions is just the right thing to do, IMO... even if it makes college football just a little worse...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    They would have to. California will have their own league

4. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    And that would be obnoxious...

But I still think this is a step in the right direction...

It'd just make more sense if many states did it at once, not just California...

5. merinker

merinker Junior

May 28, 2019
    The XFL could act as a de facto minor league for the nfl. I believe they have no age restrictions.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. merinker

merinker Junior

May 28, 2019
    This will dry up considerably eventually. Directv said this week they don’t even want the Sunday ticket anymore.

• Like Like x 1
  7. merinker

merinker Junior

May 28, 2019
    Have you looked at the UAA budget in a given year? Did you know the majority of FBS programs operate at a loss? I don’t understand why I keep hearing about all these millions and millions every school is making.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Fascinating. Good points.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  9. 31g8r

31g8r Senior

Oct 20, 2013
    You think a team with a 53 man roster is going to draft an 18 yo LF straight out of HS? Come on man. Maybe undrafted FA but then he has killed his chance to go back to college.

Further, he is your only example kind of makes my point

10. tarponbro

tarponbro GC Legend

Feb 10, 2016
    I like your post. As for "student athletes", anyone remember Dexter Manley, a star DE who played for the Washington Redskins? He was illiterate and I believe he played at Oklahoma State.

11. intimigator1

intimigator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Male' Maldives
    No question at all that California's law will have a terrible effect and wasnt thought out very well. I think everyone is okay with across the board stipends or a monthly allowance but using the thought process as they are will create huge issues. Endorsement or fees for signatures? Oh my this is going to destroy college basketball and football. It has no other path because greed and ego will become an 18 year olds value not education.
    Seeing Lebron as a "spokesperson" for the Cali law says alot. The mission is to get money from the bad schools that enslave the players. This is where it started and where it will continue to grow. Funny thing is that revenue for schools isnt going into some big fat guy with a cigar sitting at his desk laughing at his riches. No, it goes to all departments in the school. Being popular in the USA has little to do with talent and is, in too many cases, just a built up show.
    Stick with a 1500.00 monthly stipend and end this joke of sympathy for college athletes. 50000 students at UF pay out the... and contribute in so many ways to the local area without compensation but are paying tens of thousands of dollars to be educated.

This isnt a good thing for the game, the fans or almost every "normal" player.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. twodaparty

twodaparty GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Is this true?

13. intimigator1

intimigator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Male' Maldives
    On that note, as a huge Steeler fan in the 70's through 90's....I just 8 hours ago thought "wonder how the Steelers are doing this year?" I used to pay attention to the draft but I really could care less anymore. Monday Night Football used to be a must see no matter who was playing...now my question is "whatever happened to MNF?".

14. A bill was just filed in Florida that would do many of the same things - has this been posted yet?

Florida rep. proposes bill on athletes’ name, likeness

According to the HB 251 website, the bill, "Authorizes students participating in intercollegiate athletics to receive specified compensation; provides requirements for specified students, postsecondary educational institutions, certain organizations, & specified representatives; & creates Florida College System Athlete Name, Image, & Likeness Task Force."

15. chiappigator

chiappigator Recruit

Sep 30, 2019
    Forever lurker. I joined just to agree with you 100 percent. Hello high school football and no more all day travel for college football “student athlete” football.

16. nawlinsgator

nawlinsgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    I'm reading over your post trying to find a single word that I disagree with. Alas, I cannot. Carry on, good sir.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  17. thenazz

thenazz Junior

Sep 4, 2017
    Albuquerque
    Somewhere, Ed O'Bannon is LHAO. This is very, very bad stuff for college ball as we know it.

18. BA69MA72

BA69MA72 All American

Apr 8, 2007
    They say they are considering whether to renew. Could be a negotiating ploy. AT&T bought them since the last contract

19. Brodeur

Brodeur GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    I still feel like most people are missing the point of the California Law. The intent is that the law does NOT ever go into effect, but to force the NCAA into action making reforms that they themselves have said they've been looking into for years. But the NCAA would rather not make those reforms so they've dragged their hypocritical feet.

It's also silly to wonder what will happen to the California schools in 2023 as if nothing else will happen between now and then. The chance of that being the case is almost zero. Other states will follow suit soon with similar laws forcing the NCAA's had further.

20. Florida HB 251 as it stands right now would go into effect in July of next year. This is turning into a big mess.

• Winner Winner x 1