Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Genie officially out of the bottle

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by 31g8r, Sep 30, 2019.

1. 31g8r

31g8r Senior

Oct 20, 2013
    Until they demand to make similar money based on title 9. This is a fiasco for the athletic structure of college athletics. So much for the lesson of delayed gratification hard work pays off etc. It’s nice to know in the near future i will have much more personal time on the weekends.

I will eagerly watch the fallout from potential fan apathy towards the changes. Good luck trying to support the athletic budget on college and HS fans boys wanting a jersey or box of Wheaties. They dont even show up to the home games with regularity.

I have no intention to support adolescents looking to cash in on their likeness. College teams are followed for their association to the institution unlike the pro game where its the player who transcends fan bases.

Without getting into potential societal reasons for this push on the fabric of competitive team athletics in our country. This will potentially create disharmony among teammates based on earnings. Wait until lineman are told the skill player didn’t earn that recognition. I could go on but i digress

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Maybe I'm misreading something, but didn't you just write that this is "the beginning of the bastardization of college football?"

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    Hilarious!!!
    You have been pissing on this happening and anyone who hasn't agreed with you since this topic came up weeks ago.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. 32250Gator

32250Gator GC Hall of Fame

Jan 4, 2013
    The NCAA has no one to blame for this fiasco but themselves. This movement of player pay has steadily gained steam over the last twenty years and the NCAA, like the incompetent organization they are, buried their head in the sand and refused to address it. They should have gotten out ahead of this a decade ago and worked to set up a sustainable stipend system with a small monthly payout that schools could afford based on the level of competition (P5, G5, FCS). With players receiving some form of reasonable regulated compensation this issue never would have grown into the complete debacle it has become.

Also, for all those hoping this leads to an NFL minor league, it’s not going to happen. The NFL has a free minor league system in CFB & they know that there is too much money being made in CFB for the system to collapse regardless if players are making money or not. CFB will continue no matter what happens with this issue & NFL owners will continue to reap the benefits of a free minor league.

• Like Like x 2
  5. partdopy

partdopy All American

Feb 1, 2012
    You're probably right and then CFB will become a league of a few elite teams that actually have a budget, and a bunch of others that don't and can't compete

Sounds awesome. I do enjoy high school football on Friday nights though, so there's that.

• Like Like x 1
  6. 31g8r

31g8r Senior

Oct 20, 2013
    The NFL is going the way of the Dodo bird. People are cutting the cord to cable and young people aren’t embracing the game as spectators or the social interaction of game attendance. As 40yo and up begin to exit the money that drives the sport will dry up. The minor league of NCAA football will become a road to nowhere.

Wouldn’t it be ironic if future players need day job in the off season to support themselves, completing the circle of life of professional athletes.

7. partdopy

partdopy All American

Feb 1, 2012
    NFL revenue hit an all time high last year. There's no money or fan problem, there's an attendance problem. The NFL doesn't care who comes as long as they make money.

• Like Like x 1
  8. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    I think coaches making $8m a year and then getting $20m in buyouts for getting fired, and schools making hundreds of millions of dollars a year in TV and licensing revenue are the culprits here, not the liberal governor in a liberal state.

Prediction-Texas will be next. Hardly a liberal state.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  9. sir percival harvin

sir percival harvin Sophomore

Oct 14, 2017
    I have this correct, the school cannot pay a player, and the school retains all rights to it logo, uniform, etc. So the only people that would be authorized to spend money are boosters??? This will not end well

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    And my XBox 360.

It’s fun to do dynasty with the little sisters of the poor too

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. 31g8r

31g8r Senior

Oct 20, 2013
    I was less than eloquent I wasn’t talking actual attendance I meant interest. The US is undergoing a transformation of leisure activities. Young people are disconnected to traditional leisure activities.

The decline isnt going to be dramatic but think frog in warming pot, this will be the result of multi factors. Don’t discount the needed changes to tv revenue model to sustain future dollars as people revise their viewing options looking to the least expensive option.

This is real, just look at the threads here with people sharing free options for gator games. How does the league derive $ from this inn the future?

12. BA69MA72

BA69MA72 All American

Apr 8, 2007
    There’s an anecdote about the great 49er running back Hugh McEllhenny when he arrived from UDub, where a teammate commented about what a salary drop he was about to take

• Like Like x 1
  13. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    "Come sign with us and the local Mercedes dealer will give you a six-figure endorsement deal!"

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  14. 31g8r

31g8r Senior

Oct 20, 2013
    You’ve might be a little high on individual schools and the tv revenue. I thought the SEC share of $ was approx 43M as of spring this year.

I get your point though very one sided transactionally. I made a point elsewhere that the institutions do subsidize the development of these athletes. So its not totally one sided. What would it cost for year round specific training costs of elite athletes, maybe look at what the US Olympic committee spends on athletes for a number or ask the UAA. The price is not in significant and factor players development costs Saban vs Willie T.

All in all not really a bad deal for most college athletes

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
  15. thenazz

thenazz Junior

Sep 4, 2017
    Albuquerque
    Game still holds up, but it was never meant to be played for years. Too easy to beat, even with the sliders. We need a new NCAA game -- assuming they don't just port over Madden. It was great partly because it wasn't Madden. As for rosters ... most of us play dynasty with fictional players anyway. Why I still have my Xbox 360.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. WindoverG8tr

WindoverG8tr GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007
    To me this isn't a liberal vs conservative issue at all. Not even a "I hate the NCAA for their hypocrisy". I just see a scenario where the big money schools line up their boosters and set prices to buy players. Coach Mullen tells Pete's Porsche of Gainesville who he wants as his top QB recruit that year. Pete offers the 5 star $200K for the rights to his likeness, image, avatar, whatever for one year if 5 star signs with the Gators. Meanwhile the other big $ schools are doing the same in open bidding wars. So 5 star players go to the school with the best deal, they don't care about the Gators at that point. So why should I care about them? And 96 I get your point about the guys putting their bodies on the line making some cash for their risk, but how much is the 2nd string QB who was a 2 star recruit paid to come to UF ? What happens when he gets a chance and tears it up (Trask) . Is there an in season bidding war for him? Does he threaten the school with the portal if he isn't compensated right now as much as the injured 4 star QB was getting paid? If these guys are now mercenaries like the NFL why the heck do I want to watch college football? It's a lesser product than the NFL with players who are motivated by their wallets. As far as college becoming a sort of farm system for the NFL, let me ask, who watches the NBA developmental league? Nobody. If college football becomes a minor league for the NFL with players choosing schools based on the biggest payout, then count me out. I may be in the minority on this, I may not be. It's all the squabbling over contracts, hold outs, trade demands, etc. that push me over the edge with the NFL. I realize some players even now pay for play, I do. But there has got to be a better way to share the wealth with college players than letting them be paid for use of their image or endorsement or whatever. It's just going to be a complete farce where the boosters will run the whole process. It doesn't make me angry just sad.

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    I found this for the UAA, almost $150m operating budget for 19/20 operating year:

UAA Board Approves 2019-20 Operating Budget - Florida Gators

The article contains a per athlete pro ration.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. 32250Gator

32250Gator GC Hall of Fame

Jan 4, 2013
    Fake news.

Each team received a $275M revenue disbursement for the 2018 season. The national revenue has increased 33 percent since 2013, factoring for inflation, considering that each team received $187.7 million that year.

• Like Like x 2
  19. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    And none of that changes with this law.
    Schools will still give out schollies and make millions off of the athletes. With this law, it will allow the athlete to make money outside of the university at no cost to the university.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. LCswamp

LCswamp Freshman

Oct 13, 2014
    So what happens in the locker room? Star QB gets endorsements, making who knows how much. Shouldn’t the whole Oline get the same? We all know if said qb’s oline sucks then he probably doesn’t look to good. Football is a TEAM sport, everybody has to do there assignment. How long before oline gets pissed because he’s making money off their sweat and effort? This is just a disaster waiting to happen. College football has been great because it’s players trying to be the best and EVENTUALLY get paid in the league. As was said above, players unions, agents, and lawyers, it’s coming and will prove to be the downfall of CFB.

• Agree Agree x 3