Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Genie officially out of the bottle

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by 31g8r, Sep 30, 2019.

1. cpgator

cpgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Cabo can afford to be self-righteous. He’s already made millions from the game and hasn’t had to go through any surgeries or rehabs. It’s easy to claim to be a man of principle when your pockets are already stuffed and somebody else’s kids are getting their asses kicked for chump change.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. UFGator93

UFGator93 Freshman

Apr 15, 2007
    I am in agreement 100%. As a parent that has gone through the recruiting process twice, with 2 current college athletes, the system that we have in place is a joke. 95% of these “student” athletes should never see the inside of a university...

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. UFGator93

UFGator93 Freshman

Apr 15, 2007
    100% disagree. I would rather see real student athletes, even non 4-5 stars, compete against one another in college. If it is a lower star rating then so be it. We’ve all seen plenty of “lower star” athletes make tremendous plays.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Agents are next... followed by personal agents and then college football players' unions. Then comes the strikes for better "compensation."

I can't wait for the unions to demand that the Universities pay all of the players on their respective football teams from their TV revenue... we know this is undeniably where this slippery slope WILL lead towards.

I also cannot wait till the unions go on strike becasue the universities are not paying their players... anyone that thinks that this does NOT lead to that is DELUDING THEMSELVES.

Way to go, California. Force the universities to get lawyer-ed up for this fight... I despise , lawyers, agents and players' unions in sports.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. WhattaGator

WhattaGator Ever Vigilant Psycho Mod Moderator VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

This whole thing is the beginning of the bastardization of College Football as we knew it.

Pretty sad.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. tarponbro

tarponbro GC Legend

Feb 10, 2016
    Up the stipends to, say, $1000 or a little more per month and the stipends are the same for all schools and if players get endorsement, royalties, etc.they put that money into a trust fund until they stop playing the sport in college, similar to what the PGA does if an amateur wins a pro golf tournament. The players still keep their amateur status until they withdraw money from their fund. Agents will be involved, like it or not.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    College football became a bastardized mess when schools took TV money, budgets soared into the 10's of millions and coaches started making millions of dollars. Now that it has trickled down to the players you throw your hands up......

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  8. Sulla

Sulla Senior

Oct 28, 2012
    Oxford, MS
    The student-athlete has always been pretty much a lie. This does stand to change the sport we love a lot, and I'm not really interested in some disconnected version of college football where the school is purely a logo and nothing more.

But still, it the student-athlete is largely a fable agree upon. I'll probably get some dislikes, but it doesn't chance the fact that the sport was corrupt almost from the start. The thinking behind the law in CA isn't a particularly new development, even in government, and the legalities of people in college to play sports has been an argument since at least 1953.

Some sources to look at for anyone particularly interested. However, my experience is most people prefer to cling to this idea that there ever was a time where college athletes where academics was the particularly important part of what would come to be known in the 60s as a "student-athlete." And yes, the NCAA did only coin that term in the 60s.

https://history.msu.edu/hst329/files/2015/05/The-Myth-of-the-Student-Athlete.pdf

All of this was inevitable, and I have no idea how we will continue to see the top athletes in football out of high school play for scholarships only at universities where they are also students. That is regardless of what I think about the value of those scholarships, and I'm a college professor. I must think we do something of value in developing young adults, or I wouldn't do this for a living. Considering the issue of commercialization in college football has been a lingering question mark since at least the 20s, it's pretty amazing that it made it another century before the scale tipped.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. 96Gatorcise

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    Or let the kid get paid if Campbell's soup wants to do a commercial with him and let him have his money.

The commercial will look the same as Dak Prescott commercial. The team wont be mentioned, he can wear his school colors and they will use his name.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. BA69MA72

BA69MA72 All American

Apr 8, 2007
    The next state with legislation teed up is South Carolina

• Like Like x 1
  11. FLORIDAG8RS

FLORIDAG8RS Senior

Apr 3, 2007
    University of Wisconsin Athletic Director Barry Alvarez has stated that Wisconsin will no longer schedule games with teams from California!

12. BA69MA72

BA69MA72 All American

Apr 8, 2007
    Guess he’ll turn down that Rose Bowl invitation against SC/Stanford/Cal/UCLA or that bowl against San Diego or Fresno

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Naplesgator100

Naplesgator100 Senior

Apr 3, 2007
    This is simply too drastic a change. I have not read the proposed legislation, but I know one thing for certain...the more drastic the change, the greater the law of unintended consequences comes into play. We humans are TERRIBLE at predicting the wide range of consequences that will arise when changing even relatively simple things.

No question that there needed to be small, experimental tweaks to the existing model; even at that there would have been unexpected disruptions. But wholesale changes to the current structure will ruin the delicate balance that has made CFB the sport we hold so dearly.

If this stands, someday it may become better than it is today, but I give that about a 1 in 5 chance and only after a long and painful period of upheaval.

I lost respect for the NCAA many years ago, but in this case, I hope they hold the line and keep CFB intact, while moving toward ways to remunerate players. Don’t blow the whole thing up, because it may never be able to be put back together...

• Agree Agree x 4
  14. 96Gatorcise

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  15. 96Gatorcise

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    This is bigger than college football.
    This will allow any student athlete to make money off of their NIL. So if the star softball player can make money doing a local commercial for a girls sports store, more power to her.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. WhattaGator

WhattaGator Ever Vigilant Psycho Mod Moderator VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

Seeing how nothing is going to actually happen until 2023.....

We'll simply have to wait and see how many other states jump on board with this.....

Until then....
    There's absolutely no sense in people accusing others of "throwing their hands up", or any other heated debate, or people getting on pedestals trying to champion their own side of it.

If many other states join in this... then it will have to happen, but, we won't know for several more years.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. FranceGator

FranceGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Exceptionally well-said. If they are going to use the university's name, then football is subordinate to the academic mission. Period.

• Like Like x 1
  18. FranceGator

FranceGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Agreed. IMO, anybody who screamed for us to get an Indoor Practice Facility to keep up with the arm's race, can officially STFU on complaining about student's getting the money from their own face. We all have some culpability. We've all helped turn this into a farce of "amateurism".

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
  19. thekentuckygator

thekentuckygator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2018
    Kentucky
    This will make the transfer portal issue look like child’s play.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Legend

Apr 23, 2014
    Understand your opinion. For me, I would rather watch a good student who is a good athlete than a Chris Rainey (Time to Die) any day. If you want to watch the best, watch pro ball. I like college football b/c the players are supposed to be students. Just one opinion but I like sending the non-students straight to the pros.

Absolutely incorrect. The beginning was when colleges and coaches made tens of millions from shoe companies and brands. When administrators and coaches signed multi-million dollar contracts. When schools started facility arms races, conferences signed billion dollar TV deals and the NCAA took hundreds of millions from March Madness. They all pretended to focus on academics despite widespread cheating (UNC etc), pretended recruiting wasn't pay to play (basketball/Bama cars), and that they system existed for players while they made millions/billions. The players are actually the last ones to make it to the trough. Beginning? Nah.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1