Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Gators + UCF “Close” On 2-1 Scheduling Agreement

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by seaofred92, Jul 14, 2021.

1. seaofred92

seaofred92 Junior

Nov 6, 2017

The UCF Knights and the Florida Gators appear to be closing in on a deal that would put the two Sunshine State football programs on the same field.

According to Mike Bianchi of the Orlando Sentinel, UCF and Florida are "apparently close" to signing a contract for a three-game series, with "two of the games being in Gainesville and one in Orlando." The deal is expected to be signed "within the next few days."

The Knights would travel to Gainesville in 2024 and 2033, while the Knights will host the Gators in 2030 according to the report. The game in Orlando will be held on UCF's campus in the Bounce House per the report.

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. co_gator89

co_gator89 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 11, 2009
    Oh come on.

3. KronoGator

KronoGator GC Legend

Apr 10, 2007
    Why? why give these whiners any exposure?

If we're 2-1 someone from the little conferences why not Hawaii? :D

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Gatorfred

Gatorfred GC Hall of Fame

Oct 15, 2012
    I will say I like the idea of playing a more competitive schedule or if a directional school is scheduled it should be from Florida as much as possible. But UF gains nothing out of going to Orlando. I often wonder why other power schools agreed to make these trips.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. seaofred92

seaofred92 Junior

Nov 6, 2017
    I totally see your point but I believe there’s also some political “good will” that comes with being the primary brand university in a state with multiple FBS programs. It’s part of the reason why UNC is making return trips to places like App State, UNCC, and ECU, Penn State occasionally goes to Temple, Virginia Tech goes to ODU, etc. Theres large amounts of alumni for the school there, it is good from a state politic PR perspective, and you’d imagine theres a great chance of coming out with a win. Plus its a lot less taxing on the kids and much less costly than going to Utah or California for instance.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. SewaneeGator

SewaneeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    The cost. I know you're goofing with Hawaii in particular, but the cost to send the team that far, even once, is substantial. And Hawaii likely requires a fee commensurate with their travel as well (x2). And while going out to the west coast or the like is a lot less than crossing the ocean, I think we'll see more and more of the short distance regional cupcakes scheduled until (if) AD budgets recover.

I fear whatever window that opened a couple of years ago that encouraged some cool and creative scheduling was just closed again by covid financial losses.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. seaofred92

seaofred92 Junior

Nov 6, 2017
    Yup. And also if you’re going to play 4 non conference games a year you need to get butts in seats. Local games likely brings more fans. A game v FAU will likely be better attended than Charlotte or EWU. UCF and USF specifically will be good tests for UF against teams they should beat on a consistent basis before jumping into conference play.

8. TJtheGator

TJtheGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    The third game won’t happen. UCF will buy out after 2030 when we win in Orlando.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    No desire to have this matchup after the way UCF has acted from the top all the way down to the fans. But, since it's apparently happening, I'm at least glad former UCF child AD White will now see what could have been if he wasn't such a prima donna about UCF deserving a home-and-home with UF. Betcha he tries to schedule one with UCF from TN now, though.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. thatguy

thatguy Moderator VIP Member

Oct 2, 2020
    Tallahassee, FL
    The UCF Knights would travel to Gainesville in 2024 and 2033, while the Knights will host the Gators in 2030 according to the report. The game in Orlando will be held on UCF's campus in the Bounce House per the report.

UCF has a ton of openings on its future non-conference football schedule. The Knights have at least two open slots in 2023, 2024, and 2025 according to FBS Schedules. UCF has no non-conference games scheduled for 2026 and only one for 2027.

If the series between Florida and UCF does happen as expected, it wouldn't be the first time the two schools face each other. In 2006, Florida blew out UCF 42-0 in Gainesville. During the 1999 season, the Gators crushed the Knights winning 58-27 at home.

Report: UCF Knights, Florida Gators 'close' to signing football series

11. KronoGator

KronoGator GC Legend

Apr 10, 2007
    They did chicken out on a game the last time a series was scheduled.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. unclerob

unclerob Junior

Aug 14, 2015
    I would like to play Miami, South Florida, and Central Florida in a 3 year rotation. The only thing worse than beating up on Cupcakes is losing to Georgia Southern.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. up

up GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Seems like they should play the Orlando game in their old stadium/Citrus bowl/Camping World. I believe it has around 20k more seats.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. garettk

garettk GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2008
    We’ve all pined for the opportunity to shut them up. Here it is.

15. partdopy

partdopy All American

Feb 1, 2012
    Wonderful to see it happen after Danny White left. He's going to fail at UT after his nationwide coaching search miraculously revealed his previous coach was the best available. Who would have guessed the best coach was under his nose the whole time.

Gotta love it for him.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Since we are playing them at their place, maybe after the Gators win all the Gator fans that are there can hold up signs that say "We're going to Disney World after we actually win another Championship."

17. KronoGator

KronoGator GC Legend

Apr 10, 2007
    Those 20K extra seats would be filled with Gator fans.

• Agree Agree x 4
  18. Brodeur

Brodeur GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    I expect UCF to still be solid in 2024 that's only a few years away. But 2030 is a long way off, plenty of time for UCF to fall off from their status as a top Group of 5 team. Nothing guarantees they'll continue to be as good as they have been.

I always thought White was overplaying his hand demanding a home and home back then. All UF or any other power program had to do was wait a few years and boom, UCF is good but not the best in the AAC anymore (that's been Cincy the last two years).

19. mkfgator

mkfgator GC Legend

Aug 28, 2019
    We should play them for no other reason than to shut them up and bring their daydreams back to reality.

20. thekentuckygator

thekentuckygator GC Legend

Oct 8, 2018
    Kentucky
    The game in Orlando will be 7on7?

Also, we get 1000 seats. Which leaves them what? 18?

• Funny Funny x 1